A useless thread on Toddlers and Gerbils!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    A useless thread on Toddlers and Gerbils!UPDATE

****No Gerbils were hurt in the making of this short story!****

I leave Callie and Doug alone together for ONE day and what do they do?
    They go pick out another pet!
    Not just *A PET* but a little, frail Gerbil.
    My daughter? SHE'S TWO.
    The LAST thing she needs is ANYTHING smaller than a Great Dane, to play with.

Needless to say, conveniently he leaves for work with this Gerbil that my daughter is dying to play with...And me. Not a huge Gerbil fan here. Or anything small...with teeth.

Gerbils are finicky. Don't really care fore sudden movement. Don't really care for a toddler Grabbing it by it's tail and trying to kiss it. They don't really like a toddler to have her head half in the cage and *squeal in excitement*. (Did I say squeal...I meant a blood curdling, ear deafening shriek.)

She wants it in "The Ball". Anyone with a Gerbil knows "The Ball". You know...little plastic clear balls with air holes. They run around the house running themselves into random objects.

So here I am...With A toddler, A Gerbil cage (with Gerbil of course) and "The Ball". So I'm thinking to myself..How does one get a gerbil into "The Ball" without touching the Gerbil? After numerous attempts...nothing. Finally after a good amount of time I grab the little guy by the tail and toss him into "The Ball". Put the lid on and sat the thing on the floor.

Cute, He walks around and every once in a while a Toddler shoves the ball across the room. NOT good. She also likes to pick the ball up and kiss it, she isn't "gentle", to say the least. I even saw her try to kick the ball once. Needless to say, she was in "time out" a bit tonight. And sobbed at bed time because I wouldn't put the cage in her BED.

In all actuality though...The Gerbil is good to her so far. Callie herself needs to work on how she handles him. :) But hopefully in time, she'll figure it out. Hopefully Mommy will figure it out too, because that little thing freaks me out.

I won't deny the fact that he's cute. Hope his little teeth don't grow much.

BTW....Did I mention Callie named him Buddy? Yep, she picked this exact Gerbil and named him. Her first pet, somewhat of a milestone if you ask me. Now if we can keep it alive.....I'll be happy.

In Callie's words...

"I love Buddy the Mouse Mommy. Don't you touch him. He's my Buddy!"

The one an only.....Drum roll please......

BUDDY THE MOUSE (who is actually a Gerbil)

Just now she tried getting in his cage and I said "Don't he's sleeping!" She said..."Mommy, Buddy is NOT sleeping! I knock on his door and say Cockadoodledoo!" Then she hit the cage! Yep, interesting stuff.

Last edited:

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    That is aweomse!!!

We had some hamster....had....so sad really....they are cannibals…one ate the other.....just horrible....I had to clean it....not good....

My solution,

ZHU ZHU PETS!!!! Zhu Zhu Pets Hamsters || Where Will Your Zhu Zhu Zhu-oom?

These are freakin sweet, just like the real thing but you cant kill it, it doesnt bite, it doesnt poop, and best thing is it cant eat its brother!!!

We have a whole little town set up in our living room right now. Drives the cat nuts....oh ya...the cat tried to eat a hamster....also not good.....not good at all.....

Lastshot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    United States of Merica
    Buddy the mouse is NOT a gerbil!... THAT is a mexcan warf rat. Although they look similar, the mexican warf rat has a bit longer tail. with less hair on it than a gerbil.

SOOOOO I propose a name change to Pancho the rat! :dunno:

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    This is too funny ! And too cute !

Real quick funny story about Gerbils, I had a friend from Sweden talking about them once and he went to say it out loud and says "GRR-Bull" not "JER-BUL" for some reason I found it absolutely hilarious and couldn't stop laughing, English isn't his first language but he can speak it very well and this was his first slip up I heard, it was just so funny though, while reading this story I kept reading it as GRR-bull. :)

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Buddy the mouse is NOT a gerbil!... THAT is a mexcan warf rat. Although they look similar, the mexican warf rat has a bit longer tail. with less hair on it than a gerbil.

SOOOOO I propose a name change to Pancho the rat! :dunno:

OMG...Please tell me you are kidding and it is NOT infact a RAT!!!!!

It seems to be really nice though....so I can't complain. Hasn't bit once, yet. lol.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    You don't have any stairs in the house do you????

(vision of gerbil ball including gerbil bouncing down the stairs)

You ever hear that story about Richard Gere and gerbils? Just sayin'...

And that's how the fight started........... :):

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    My brother had a family of Gerbils when we were kids, he lost about one a week for a while there..

Needless to say my Snake had a special treat about once a week since he was a good snake..

my mom made me give the snake away when she noticed the bump and asked me what it was. I told her it was pregnant...

She told me I was lying she bought me the dang thing and it is a boy..

Moms aren't as stupid as you think.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    You ever hear that story about Richard Gere and gerbils? Just sayin'...
    :puke:
    You don't have any stairs in the house do you????

(vision of gerbil ball including gerbil bouncing down the stairs)

Yes we have stairs. The rat/gerbil/mouse thing stays DOWNstairs.

My brother had a family of Gerbils when we were kids, he lost about one a week for a while there..

Needless to say my Snake had a special treat about once a week since he was a good snake..
    Moms aren't as stupid as you think.

That's just mean. lol.
    And yes, us Mothers are smart, smart folk!

Your daughter is only 2? Wow, she's a big 2 year old!
    I hear you on the "anything small with teeth." Small teeth creep me out too.
    She's almost 3. (May 1st). She's going to be super tall like her Mommy! I'm 5'11. She is atleast 3 inches taller than other children her age. She's going to have some legs on her! :)

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Haha, that's funny. I couldn't imagine being with a chick 5 inches taller than me...

Maybe because she'd have to be almost 7 feet tall.:):

Think about Joe (I know that's not your name. Still confused by that).....
    If I'm 5'll and he is 5'6....Where do YOU think his eye contact is! :popcorn:

He doesn't complain! :draw::ingo:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Think about Joe (I know that's not your name. Still confused by that).....
    If I'm 5'll and he is 5'6....Where do YOU think his eye contact is! :popcorn:

He doesn't complain! :draw::ingo:

Hahahaha, that's a valid point.:laugh:

Yeah, I don't know why my SN has Joe in it either.

Maybe I should go back to an avatar most recognized and change my name to Benny or something.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    That is just too cute!! I had a gerbil when I was a kid and it lived for three years, never bit anyone, Oh and he loved peanut butter. Now then you need to go back to the pet shop and get your husband a pet snake to keep in his under ware drawer!!! and of course gifts are better when they are a surprise!!!:D

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    If you can get that little guy to live longer than a year or two it will be a small miracle. We moved into this house when my daughter was 2,now 18, and I have buried more gerbils,hamsters, mice,cats and even a snake, than most pet stores have in stock. She now has a ferret( I hate that frikin thing) and a miniature daschund. Buddy will teach your little cutie two important things, how to be responsible and sadly how to deal with death.
    5'11..Damn...I think I'm going to call you stretch from now on:)

Top Bottom