• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    The Vet is closed and a google search was worthless!!!

I thought my Pit Puppy (8 months) was being way too quiet while I was on the computer.

She got into the 50lb bag of peanuts I just bought, I would bet the little pig ate about 2 pounds before I went looking for her.

Besides being really thirsty and :poop: issues are they going to hurt her?

Do I need to take her to they emergency Vet Clinic?

She ate shells and all, She drank about 3 cups of water after I caught her and we have been outside so she could pee, she is acting fine except it is the first time I ever heard a dog BELCH!!

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    My pit eats peanuts all the time without issue. Unless she has an allergic reaction to them she should be fine.

Oh on the belching..... mine walks up to the wife and does it to her! :D

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    Most vets have an emergency help line in which you would speak with either a vet or Vet tech. If yours don't, call another that does. I would keep a close eye on her.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Gonna call now she just jumped up on the couch and laid down in her spot and she is not acting weird so I hope she will be OK.

Thanks for the quick replies!!

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Two pounds is going to give him the trots. But it probably won't be of any permanent consequence.

If he has really bad diareah, you probably need to take him in. Otherwise a table spoon of pepto or something might firm him up.

Will0369

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Westfield
    Peanut allergies are highly uncommon in dogs, make sure it has plenty of water, if the peanuts were salted, your dog ingested a lot of sodium which is not a typical nutrient found in their everyday diet. Water will also help pas the peanuts

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Just spoke with a vet tech from my vets office she says to be more concerned with dehydration from the salt content then anything else.

Said only about 1% of dogs have food allergies of any type.

Guess I'll be up all night babysitting the little pig.

She just finished eating what was left of my stew too, I don't understand her she is ideal weight for her size yet she acts like I never feed her. She gets scrambled eggs in the morning(I have way too many chickens)free fed all day with her puppy food and unless I am eating crap for dinner she always gets some of my leftovers.

I have fostered Pits before but this is the first one I have ever had as a pet, I got her at 4 weeks, her mother was killed in a fight, her and 4 siblings were found in a barn.

Thank you to everyone for the concern I hope she will be fine.

This is the most misunderstood breed, they are VERY loyal and protective dogs, family dogs not individual. The people who have them are the problem.

Please give to your local rescue center and if anybody is looking for a pit I from time to time have rescue dogs and they will not be adopted until they pass a number of physical and mental evaluations. There is an interview process you must go through with me, including a visit to your home to see that you have the proper arrangements made for the animal.

Again thank you all, I am rambling because I am still worried about her she is my only child.

Last edited:

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    This is the most misunderstood breed, they are VERY loyal and protective dogs, family dogs not individual. The people who have them are the problem.

:+1:

Also, it is people that mis-treat and screw the dogs up, that is the main reason why they have such a bad rap.

They are great dogs!

In fact, I am looking for a brother for the one I already have.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    We gave an MRE oatmeal cookie bar to a dog in the Ukraine once. I think that was worse than what peanut butter is.

I wouldn't worry about the shells. My daughter is an extremely picky eater. When she was about 4 or 5, we went to Texas Roadhouse. My wife told me to look at my daughter. She was putting the entire peanut in her mouth and eating it. My wife about flipped out. I told her to keep her mouth shut. Probably like potatos. Most of the nutrients are in the skin. I've heard of people eating the shells before.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    yep just make sure the dog stays hydrated and dont be surprised if ya wake up to a bunch of poo to clean up.
    as far as pits being mis understood...no they are not misunderstood..they are in fact a dangerous breed..now before all you pit owners jump on me let me say this..pits are indeed a powerful breed and CAN be a family friendly pet,they are not good pets for idiots. if I had seen first hand what a pit can do to a person I wouldnt be saying that pits are dangerous. a few years ago my cousins wife and step daughter where basically ripped apart by there family pets..2 pits. both seemed to be very friendly and loving dogs and didnt seem to have an aggressive bone in there body,until one day when my cousins wife and step daughter where arguing,one of the pits just lost it and started to attack..the other joined in. it takes a special person to raise such a powerful breed and I have the utmost respect for those who raise these dogs correctly. but like I said they shouldnt be raised by idiots..or people who want them just because they are "cool"
    to me owning a breed such as the pit bull is just like owning a firearm..it should only be done by those responsible enough...but both pits and firearms are owned by some really irresponsible people. none of this is directed at anyone in this thread..its only my 2.5 cents worth.
    here is a link for the story about my cousins wife and step daughter.
    Pit bull attacks mother, daughter» Evansville Courier & Press

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    If you aren't seeing signs of an allergic reaction by now, she's fine...If she had a fatally allergic reaction to peanuts and ate to lbs of them, an emergency vet probably wouldn't even matter.

This, hands down.

Killer dogs aren't born, they are made...Any Pit I have ever been around has been on par with any Boxer I have been around; tied for all of the sweetest dogs I've ever met(and I'm a GSD owner).

They are loyal to their pack leader almost to a fault and want to do whatever makes their master happy...Unfortunately there are a select few pieces of :poop: out there that like to train them to fight...It's not their fault they are the best at fighting.

Oh yeah, pics of said puppy or it didn't happen. :D

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    as far as pits being mis understood...no they are not misunderstood..they are in fact a dangerous breed..now before all you pit owners jump on me let me say this..pits are indeed a powerful breed and CAN be a family friendly pet,they are not good pets for idiots.

Wouldn't that go for any large, "alpha" breed?

IMO any large breed of dog that has aggressive tendencies can be grouped into that "dangerous" breed you are referring to.:twocents:

BTW, I'm sorry that happened to your cousin's wife.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Relic sorry about your family!!

Your about 50% right, they are a powerful and if not handled and raised properly a dangerous breed because of the power they have.

I am only guessing here so if I am way off base sorry...

One of the dogs had a higher amount of loyalty to one of the victims in this case, unfortunately once nature kicks in it will take a bullet to stop an untrained pit who is attacking. I have to blame the owners and the breed in this case.

You are 100% correct that they do require special skills as an owner and trainer I agree. My pup can go from really rough play to full stop with a single word, she can also go from full out protection mode to calm and relaxed with one word, you have to work with this breed. They are very smart but they are stubborn and still have that animal instinct. They are still a realatively young breed as far as breeds are concerned and as a result of some BAD breeding practices do maintain some undesirable traits.

I have always had GSDs but several years ago I became involved with APBT rescue and if I need a work only dog it will be a GSD if I want a pet who will die protecting me if need and is a giant lap dog I will go with APBT.

Also an update on her health we went out a bit ago she peed again and had a very unpleasant BM. She is drinking a bit more then usual but otherwise seems healthy.:rockwoot:

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    0817091503a.jpg

Liberty @ 10 weeks

Really crappy cell picture but I don't feel like pulling the flash drive out right now.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I've had dogs eat their own pooh, deer, coon, and other dog's pooh. They'll eat a hamburger in August they buried in May and dead stuff hit by a car two weeks ago.

I doubt peanuts will hurt most of them much.

Top Bottom