• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    So as some of you may know, I've been having issues with my neighbors. They don't watch their kids, scratch up my cars, throw trash and toys in my yard, etc.

Now lately the City of Hobart has decided that we need new sewers so the city has torn up the street and they are now parking in the alley, so instead of walking through their own yard they have taken to walking through mine. On four separate occasions I have asked them not to walk through my yard and to please use their own. The daughter (I presume) just shouts obscenities at me and they continue to just walk on through. I had spoken to the head of the house and he just shrugs and says "it's not my problem." So, communication has been extended several times and I have been met with hostility and dismissed.

I had planned on putting up a fence next year as I'm getting married this year and I'm pretty much broke at the moment. I could probably swing it if I absolutely had to but I have no idea where to start. As it sits I'm looking at my options as: 1. Bite the bullet and get chain link all around. 2. Put a gate on the sides and block them from using my yard as a thoroughfare (which is the ultimate goal). 3. ????

How does one go about putting up a fence? Do I need permits and such? I am truly clueless when it comes to this, which is why I've put it off so long.
    Any other suggestions on dealing with them that you can please advise would be greatly appreciated. (No I will not be standing in my yard with a shotgun telling them to "get off my lawn." I like my rights, I don't want to lose them.)

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Got one.
    82D94D89-7E13-4037-80B4-1961E6EA06FC-3958-000002BE7F92424F.jpg

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    As for the fence when I helped my mom put her wooden fence in Highland there was no permit needed. We talked to the neighbor to ensure that the line we had marked of where the fence was going was indeed on our property and then took a pole hold digger tool (not really sure what it is called) made holes in the ground, put the poles in, mixed the cement, poured, nailed the sections, rinse and repeat. It's back breaking work and took us 2 weekend.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Every municipality is different a far as permits go. Many do require permits for fences. Some of those that require permits, also require inspections when the job is complete. Some have height restrictions. Some have material restrictions. Don't depend on a neighbor to decide where the property line is. Look at your survey, and measure it out. If you are not sure have it surveyed.

Sure, you can take shortcuts, but these things have a way of coming back to you when you sell the house. A little diligence done now, will make sure there are no issues later.

By the way, have you contacted the authorities, and had a trespass warning issued?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    As for the fence when I helped my mom put her wooden fence in Highland there was no permit needed. We talked to the neighbor to ensure that the line we had marked of where the fence was going was indeed on our property and then took a pole hold digger tool (not really sure what it is called) made holes in the ground, put the poles in, mixed the cement, poured, nailed the sections, rinse and repeat. It's back breaking work and took us 2 weekend.

It's a post hole digger, Jedi.
    And you can rent a gas powered auger, works better if you have a lot of holes.

Joe, maybe a camera. If you can video them, or take pics of them, then file a report with the police. Record (log) anything, times/events.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Don't depend on a neighbor to decide where the property line is. Look at your survey, and measure it out. If you are not sure have it surveyed.
    How do I have it surveyed? Who do I contact? Cost?

As far as the putting it up I'm good, I can build a fence all day long. I just have no clue how to get all the behind the scenes stuff done. I assume I'll need to contact City of Hobart to find out if I need a permit to build?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    thanks larry i recall we could not get a machine into the back yard due to the small size of the fence/gate that was originally on the house. besides when u r younger its easy to make holes :faint:

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    If you are tight on funds, you may look at a cheaper fence than chain link.

Check with your local county office if a permit is needed.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    How do I have it surveyed? Who do I contact? Cost?

As far as the putting it up I'm good, I can build a fence all day long. I just have no clue how to get all the behind the scenes stuff done. I assume I'll need to contact City of Hobart to find out if I need a permit to build?

Last survey I had done was last summer, it was on a double lot in East Chicago. I think it cost me about $600 to find all 4 property lines. I used a firm in Munster, can't recall the name at the moment.

As others have said, it may or may not require a permit, there may or may not be material and/or height limits, etc. Contact the town hall and ask. FWIW, I would seriously doubt that you can use T-posts and welded wire farm fencing in town. Cyclone fencing is probably your cheapest option. I'd bet that Hobart requires a permit and has some sort of standards.

Top Bottom