• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you use a INGO-dedicated chat room?

• Total voters

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I'm wondering if INGO would actually use a dedicated chat room. If the consensus says "yes" I'll build and host an INGO IRC chat room.

My idea is, INGO mods have mod privileges in this room. My intentions are not to steer people from the site, rather give many a *real time* place to hang out. That status update thread is just getting out of control IMO.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    In times past, Fenway has said that INGO will not ever have a chat room. I'm not sure of his reasons, but I know this has been brought up numerous times and his answer is always the same.

I can see both good and bad.

From the INGO FAQ:
    INGO needs a live chat!
    No matter how many times you request it, the answer will always be NO. We've tried it and it's Teh Suck. Occasionally, a member will start a channel offsite and it will run for a couple of days and then close down. It's generally interesting while it's up. Keep your eyes peeled for threads about it as it comes and goes.

abrewer15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Elkhart, Indiana
    I would say yes. I think that there is a lot that can be done with a chat room. Aside from having a room always up and running where people can just chew the fat, having dedicated 'meetings' or 'events' would be a good idea as well. I for one would still use the forums, however, it could be useful to have a filler conversation with an actual person in between posts. Also I think it would be a great way for members to get to know each other...a way to add legitimacy to your account on top of the required posts amount.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    In times past, Fenway has said that INGO will not ever have a chat room. I'm not sure of his reasons, but I know this has been brought up numerous times and his answer is always the same.

I can see both good and bad.

If it's a straight "NO" then that's fine, we have to respect the Benevolent Dictator for Life's wishes.

:D

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    If it's a straight "NO" then that's fine, we have to respect the Benevolent Dictator for Life's wishes.

:D

That's just been his answer in the past. I don't know if that's changed or not. The guy can run successful forums like I've never seen before so I tend to think he has good reasons for it.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    That's just been his answer in the past. I don't know if that's changed or not. The guy can run successful forums like I've never seen before so I tend to think he has good reasons for it.

I'm not disagreeing with these points at all, I will agree he runs a very good forum.

Albeit, I'll see how this poll turns out - if there is interest I'll give it a try. It's not hard to setup a dedicated piece of hardware for IRC that runs 24/7, tinychat and other methods people may have used is le sux.

Also, the verbiage kind of makes me think, he's talking about INGO-sanctioned chat rooms, not a room managed by someone else that people can visit in the spirit of the Gun Community.

:dunno:

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I would visit one. But I'd be afraid it would end up being a cussing fest.

Well with IRC, I can give all of the mods the authority they have on INGO, they'll be able to warn, mute and BAN people who break the rules.

I'd like to see it built from INGO's normal rules, instead of a wild-west gun-slinging cuss fest :D.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    I'd use it. I think it'd be a nice way to talk to other members in real time. The forums have their appeal and a chat room would have it's own appeal. I'd use both. The status update thread can lag sometimes.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    If we can't get a chat room/channel, how about a status field on our profile? Seems that would solve the OP's original issue, as well as My issue, as I refuse to try and go through the thousands of status update posts... it may also free up server resources... one less DB table to have to keep around.

just my :twocents:

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Well with IRC, I can give all of the mods the authority they have on INGO, they'll be able to warn, mute and BAN people who break the rules.

I'd like to see it built from INGO's normal rules, instead of a wild-west gun-slinging cuss fest :D.

The only issue with that, is then the MODs are spread between 2 venue's... it can be hard to keep up with an IRC channel... A busy one is hard to even see the reply to your message before it scrolls up into the buffer! I've used IRC heavily back in the day... (it's kinda weird being able to say that now!)

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

Hmmm, more moderating work and another set of rules? No thanks. ;) I've seen it on other boards and they usually go unused.

Also, in your poll, does "from time to time" count as a "Yes!"?

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Hmmm, more moderating work and another set of rules? No thanks. ;) I've seen it on other boards and they usually go unused.

Also, in your poll, does "from time to time" count as a "Yes!"?

From time to time doesn't mean "yes" just a feeler for people who may mosey in now and again.

Not to mention, I'm sure we can get some volunteer mods ( I can ) and there are some nice chat filtering tools on the IRC clients for profanity.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    That status update thread is just getting out of control IMO.

How about you just ignore that thread? problem solved! yay..woohoo. your sig line is out of control IMO...why do you need a picture in your sig that takes up half a page? you dont see me starting a poll over it.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    How about you just ignore that thread? problem solved! yay..woohoo. your sig line is out of control IMO...why do you need a picture in your sig that takes up half a page? you dont see me starting a poll over it.

Just trying to help solve a problem, had no idea you took so much offense to a discussion; I'm sorry I hurt your feelings.

sorry brother ( * )

P.S, I removed my sig line in order to please you.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Just trying to help solve a problem, had no idea you took so much offense to a discussion; I'm sorry I hurt your feelings.

sorry brother ( * )

P.S, I removed my sig line in order to please you.

hey thanks! can I get you to make me a sammich too. ham and cheese please. appreciate it.

Top Bottom