• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    What legal right, if any, does an officer have to ask for passenger ID during a traffic stop?

My wife just got stopped on her way home from picking up our daughter. Another officer had a vehicle stopped in the middle of the road near a downtown intersection. My wife slowed down, allowed plenty of room for the officer and went around on the right proceeding through the intersection. Because she was going so slow, the light went from yellow to red before she was completely clear of the intersection.

Technically, this means she ran the light. In my mind, it was a questionable call to make the stop in the first place, but that is not my issue.

While they were stopped, the officer asked for my daughters (passenger) ID, Asked lots of questions about where they were going, coming from etc. I wasn't there, but I was told he was rather disrespectful about it.

He ended up letting her go with a warning. If it had been me, I likely would have ended up getting the ticket because I would have respectfully refused to provide my daughters ID or answer any questions about my destination.

What say you?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Unless the officer has reasonable suspicion to believe the passenger has committed a crime or infraction, he does not have the authority to demand identification from the passengers in the vehicle, only the driver who committed the infraction.

It is not unlawful for him to ask however. I have locked up many people with warrants who were passengers in a vehicle when I asked them for ID.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Unless the officer has reasonable suspicion to believe the passenger has committed a crime or infraction, he does not have the authority to demand identification from the passengers in the vehicle, only the driver who committed the infraction.

It is not unlawful for him to ask however. I have locked up many people with warrants who were passengers in a vehicle when I asked them for ID.
    OK, so it is not unlawful to ask, but is the passenger rquired to respond?

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    So if I were to refuse to provide my daughter's ID or answer questions unrelated to my traffic infraction and the officer then "demanded" the ID, what would you suggest I do?

(Hypothetical question, this did not occur)

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    So if I were to refuse to provide my daughter's ID or answer questions unrelated to my traffic infraction and the officer then "demanded" the ID, what would you suggest I do?

(Hypothetical question, this did not occur)

I won't offer advice in this regard as what I would say will be sure to create controversy here.

You have the option of compliance or refusal to provide your daughter's ID or answer questions unrelated to the reason you were stopped. That choice is yours to make.

Glock18FA

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    If you use my approach, have the video on your phone rolling. Then I hope that the officers does his job correctly, recognizes what your rights are and terminates the fishing expedition.

Accountability, is for everyone in our society.

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    If you use my approach, have the video on your phone rolling. Then I hope that the officers does his job correctly, recognizes what your rights are and terminates the fishing expedition.

Accountability, is for everyone in our society.

If you use this approach, make sure you don't have the audio recording or you can be arrested AND prosecuted for illegal wiretapping. There are many, many examples of this exact thing happening all over the country. I would like to get more of our elected officials to take notice of this ridiculous, outdated law, we'll see.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you use this approach, make sure you don't have the audio recording or you can be arrested AND prosecuted for illegal wiretapping. There are many, many examples of this exact thing happening all over the country. I would like to get more of our elected officials to take notice of this ridiculous, outdated law, we'll see.
    I didn't think that applied in IN in these circumstances.:dunno:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Can you cite an IC for this? :dunno:

My understanding was the in Indiana only ONE party needs to consent to audio recording. Since you are donig the recording (you are consenting). But again I don't have the IC either and am going off what I recall reading here.

NWI go and vote for the 1st Meet & Eat of 2011!
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._and_eat_-_1st_one_for_2011_-_vote_4_day.html
    ---
    NWI INGO MEMBERS
    Get the latest news by joining the NWI INGO group here:
    INGunOwners - Northwest Indiana

UPCOMING EVENTS
    Every Wed: Lunch, Cigars, and Guns @ Pine Island Pit Stop Cigar Lounge
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ingo_events/108606-
    every_wednesday_lunch_cigars_guns_pine_island_pit_stop_cigar_lounge_part_2_a.html

Appleseed for NWI
    2 Day Courses
    Sand Burr Gun Ranch: Calendar
    11-12 DEC 2010 @ Sand Burr, Rochester, IN
    19-20 MAR 2011 @ Sand Burr, Rochester, IN
    02-03 APR 2011 @ Sand Burr, Rochester, IN

Keep this post for uncoming info & updates
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/appleseed/107083-new_ranges_coming_to_eventbright.html

NEED YOUR HELP
    List of ranges in NWI; Is your range here?:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/106004-nwi_ingo_general_post-3.html#post1252132

Pro-Gun & Anti-Gun Stores in NWI:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_issues_and_self_defense/54676-list_of_pro-gun_and_anti-
    gun_stores_northwest_indiana.html

OTHER INFO
    A Guide to Protecting Your Rights: What to do when LEO stop you and your are carrying.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_issues_and_self_defense/81201-
    an_oc_guide_to_protecting_your_rights_what_to_do_when_leo_stops_you.html#post915009

Wallet IN LTCH Info with IC Codes
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../83645-wallet_in_ltch_info_with_ic_codes.html

FFLs in Indiana
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...n/81265-indiana_gun_shop_info_-_combined.html

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA

BUT NOT in Indiana, One Party Consent State :yesway:

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    Could the OP be charged with disobeying a lawful order if he didn't give is daughters ID? Or charged with hindering a police investigation or the equivalent in Indiana if he were to not answer questions about where he was coming from and going to?

Glock18FA

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Could the OP be charged with disobeying a lawful order if he didn't give is daughters ID? Or charged with hindering a police investigation or the equivalent in Indiana if he were to not answer questions about where he was coming from and going to?

You have the option of compliance or refusal to provide your daughter's ID or answer questions unrelated to the reason you were stopped. That choice is yours to make.

Phylodog is a police officer.

Glock18FA

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010

You are mistaken when it comes to Indiana's laws.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    I won't offer advice in this regard as what I would say will be sure to create controversy here.

Phylodog is a police officer.

Thanks for quoting that. I guess I missed the last paragraph of his post.:ugh:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I wonder the possibility that there is a person of your daughter's age reported missing and this officer had reason to believe that your daughter might be that person? Just a thought.

Top Bottom