• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VaGriller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Avon
    Our two German Shepherds eat Nutro which costs around 48 bucks a 35lb bag with tax. 3 Bags a month has been pretty costly over the last 7 years. 12,000+ not including vet visits. Upside is they have had zero health problems.

I need a cheaper dogfood thats still healthy for them.

Kcustom45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Well, there are more natural alternatives. :D

Nixieleg.jpg

Actually we feed our German Shepherds IAMS food as well. They actually both eat the Smart Puppy food, even one is no longer a puppy. We get it at the pet store for ~ $30 for a 44lb bag.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    we use to feed our dogs WYsong, which was a little more money than the Nutro you use. We switched to something slightly less expensive ($48 for a 40 pound bag), but I can't rememebr what it's called, but I think it's made in Michigan.

We have three dogs and they eat roughly a bag every 1 1/2 weeks. My wife insists on the higher end foods after one of our dogs died of cancer.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    I have a 5&1/2 year old German Shorthaired Pointer. In her puppy days I would feed her IAMS as well because that is what the breeder used. But she would always have a pile of black gunk in her ears that I would have to clean out a couple of times a week. Switch her to Nutro & Purina premium, which ever one was on sale at the time, and the ear problem went away.

Walmart's Ol' Roy High Performance stuff is not bad. You get 50 lbs. for $22. Sure back when cash money was no object my hunting partner got the best fancy dog food on the market. And she showed it in her health. Money got really tight and she had to go down to the bargain bin stuff. She didn't complain. Sure she poop more and the piles were larger but she's still a dog. Then I found this Ol' Roy High Performance stuff two weeks ago and she loves it. She has more energy and is very playfully once again.

http://www.indianasportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21782#ixzz14KZUdyMB

O2guy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    MSG2
    My GSD we feed Diamond from a shop on Allison RD in Camby. The dog loves it and is fairly cost effective. Price runs 35-40 for I believe 40-45 lbs. Very little waste (if you know what I mean)

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    My two Rotties are IAMS Large breed dogs. As far as saving some money with dogs, if your dog is well mannered, obedient, and has no problems out in public on a lead or off lead. You could look into registering your dogs as therapy dogs. They have to take a practical skills test. This includes sit, stay, laying down for a certain amount of time, and you being able to walk away and them staying. After that, your dogs actually become a tax deduction, as far as vet bills, heartworm medications, and ect. Mine have been registered for about two years. My local Therapy Dogs International group charges a fee of like 5 bucks a year, which is easy to do considering what I save. Might want to look into that. They still protect the home, and once a week we go visit some people in the hospital. They get a job to do, and love it, but they still protect the home when they are off lead.

dagibson1507

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Muncie, IN
    +1 for diamond. Can be had alot cheaper at rural king or big r. Maybe around 22 per 50#. I can get iams and science diet at cost and still feed this to all my animals.

O2guy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    MSG2
    +1 for diamond. Can be had alot cheaper at rural king or big r. Maybe around 22 per 50#. I can get iams and science diet at cost and still feed this to all my animals.

Thanks for the place to shop 22 for 50

WOW:rockwoot:

Rural King, Do you know of one close to West Indy?

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    I feed mine Purina Dog chow in the 44# green bag for about $20-22 at Rural King. He's on a self feeder. Doesn't get fat and eats when he's hungry. I fed that to my 15 yr old aussie that passed away in august. I fed that to him for his life. I can't complain about the poop as it helps fertilize my yard.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Our two German Shepherds eat Nutro which costs around 48 bucks a 35lb bag with tax. 3 Bags a month has been pretty costly over the last 7 years. 12,000+ not including vet visits. Upside is they have had zero health problems.

I need a cheaper dogfood thats still healthy for them.

Purina and everything left on the table when I'm done eating.

The dog we have now doesn't eat much though.

apupdeerleg54.jpg

Last edited:

jim b

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    One more vote for Diamond. I buy mine at either Rural King or TSC. The closest Rural King to the west side that i know of is in Terre Haute. Try the TSC in Plainfield. My Chesapeake prefers the Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice or Chicken and Rice.

Another thing i noticed with the Diamond is how much less it takes to fill him up. I tried a lot of different brands, most more expensive, before switching to diamond and I was able to cut the amount i feed quite a bit which is another huge cost savings. Just pay attention to your dogs while your trying new foods. They will let you know what is good for them and what is not.

dagibson1507

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Muncie, IN
    Usually all of the farms shops have it. It seems like it would be crap food but its really good. Iams is owned by purina who was notorious for using chicken feathers to get the protein count up. I have a little dog with an anal gland problem. Tried eukanuba and science diet to no avail. They have an organic line too, little saltier at around 24 for 40#s but its a lamb and rice formula (no corn).

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    50lb bag of Green bag at Sam's club. When we had the big dog and the medium dog it was costing us a bag a month. Since the big dog passed and we got a smaller dog it's about a bag every 2 months. Both are at very healthy weights and the vet is pleased with their health.

Top Bottom