What do you make of the INGO reputation system?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I'm curious to get members thoughts on the INGO reputation system. When the board first started it was a nice way to say thanks for a great post. It is still used in that manner by many but unfortunately these days it is also widely abused.

Discuss :ingo:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I could take it, or leave it. I rarely use it unless someone really helped me out, or had a really good post.

Ordinary posts wont get anything from me, and I dont think Ive ever given out a neg rep.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I like it. Let's me know if I'm contributing in a way that folks like. Also lets me see who the big contributors are. Much better than looking at post count.

How is is being abused? The "I'll rep you if you rep me" love-fests are about all I've heard of.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    It, along with post count, used to be a somewhat effective way to get a feel for someone's online persona. Not perfect, mind you, but it gave you something to go on, especially when using the classifieds.

Its still a quick and easy way to drop someone a quick note like "excellent idea" or "thanks for your answer", but its been so widely perverted that the system as a whole no longer stands for anything.

MarkM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Some people still use it for good reasons and some do abuse. I will admit that I am guilty of it a little bit. But I still do use it to let people know when they give good advice or good info. But I could take it or leave it.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    This is the only forum I've ever been on that utilizes it. When it (the rep system) is pure, it is a useful tool. When it gets perverted by rep whores, it is meaningless. I'd rather see the Ebay-style feedback add-on that I know VBulletin is capable of using be put to use here instead of the reputation system. :twocents:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Positive rep isn't all that meaningful. It is a nice way to say thanks or good post but I don't think it gets used for that. Negative rep is more useful. If someone is being offensive enough for folks to neg rep then I like to know about it.

What about just re-setting the rep and making it harder to rep the same person over and over again?

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    While reading the FAQ before joining, it struck me as frivolous and unnecessary, possibly open to abuse or mischief.
    Made a personal rule to never give neg rep, since IMO it stifles free speech.
    Use it often to say thank you to a poster for extremely useful and educational posts, or for articulating strongly held beliefs I was having trouble expressing in writing.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    This is the only forum I've ever been on that utilizes it. When it (the rep system) is pure, it is a useful tool. When it gets perverted by rep whores, it is meaningless. I'd rather see the Ebay-style feedback add-on that I know VBulletin is capable of using be put to use here instead of the reputation system. :twocents:

This. :)

shawkpilot

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    If you give 2 bunnies and unicorns about being neg repped...

You might be an INGOer.

Did this have anything to do with the start of this thread? Apparently, I am one of those guys who takes every chance I can to complain about this site, yet logs on every chance I get. Some of the mods could use a break.

Just saying......

Lobo

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    I frequent a number of other sites, both gun-related and non-gun, and this is the only one that has the "rep" system. Personally, I think it's kind of silly and unnecessary, not really serving a purpose other than to make it easy to attack somebody "behind the scenes," instead of posting an idea in the forum. I kinda laughed when I saw the term "rep whore." :):

jlm223

Aim Small Miss Small
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Muncie
    I have wondered about this don't know so I will ask, can you see other persons User CP? who posted the Rep? do members Rep them selves? will they go blind? " I have never done this buy the way." Thanks in advance. :n00b:

caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    I like it. Let's me know if I'm contributing in a way that folks like. Also lets me see who the big contributors are. Much better than looking at post count.

I'll second this. I find it useful and it's part of the INGO culture. Is it necessary? Probably not. Are their other things out their working better or worse? Sure. The only thing I would say about changing things like the rep system and group buys etc., is that care needs to be taken to avoid changes which would drastically effect the culture of the site, which is what brought most of us here in the first place. I'm not saying either of those changes would damage it, just throwing it out their to be considered. :twocents:

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    There is no equality to it. Some members can give more powerful rep than others.
    Rep is rep. A point is a point. It should count the same no matter who reps who.

You take it away, and you have essentially created a dress code at INGO where everyone wears the same outfit when they come in.

It likely means nothing to the members who spend the most time here, but it might be useful for new members when they have posts that are replied to. Then again, maybe not.

Do what you will.

johnb62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Oct 15, 2008
    Evansville Area
    I'll second this. I find it useful and it's part of the INGO culture. Is it necessary? Probably not. Are their other things out their working better or worse? Sure. The only thing I would say about changing things like the rep system and group buys etc., is that care needs to be taken to avoid changes which would drastically effect the culture of the site, which is what brought most of us here in the first place. I'm not saying either of those changes would damage it, just throwing it out their to be considered. :twocents:

+1. It is a part of the INGO culture. Does it get some abuse? Sure it does. It also adds some fun to the daily interactions and probably keeps people coming back. INGO is about the only gun forum I now spend any appreciable time on. I say keep it!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom