• Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    So far anyway.
    I downloaded the new Windows 10 operating system last night. It took almost 2-1/2 hours to download, configure settings... but when it was finished, my 'puter is running MUCH faster, videos are no longer buffering...

Yep, so far I think I like this new system.

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    I've been running the "insider Preview" builds for a while now and really pleased with it. My buddy upgraded yesterday and his download took about an hour while at work and was up and going without a hitch.

Mike

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I haven't even bothered researching the licensing and such for Windows 10, but isn't it supposed to be a subscription-based OS?
    That would detract greatly from wanting to get it.
    Not a big issue anyway, since I'm running dual boot, with 64-bit Linux as the primary...posting from the Linux boot. ;)

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

Thanks for the link.
    However, any OS that actually requires so much done to reconfigure and remove parts of it to make it acceptable is total crap.
    No wonder Microsoft has taken it in the shorts so badly over the last few years.
    They deserve it, what with their missteps (Windows 8.x, anyone?), but also as karma for their decades-long practice of FUD, bloatware, and vaporware.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I just downloaded Windows 10 Pro ISO including both 32 and 64 bit versions. The file size is such that I had to use a dual layer DVD for it to fit as it was 5.5GB.

These days, it's faster and more efficient to load the ISO onto a USB drive (using a tool to make it bootable) and install it from there. Bit more convenient than using a DVD

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I haven't trusted m$ for a very long time, and I quite frankly do not grant to them the waste of time and mindshare necessary just to make this thing somewhat less reprehensible, when at best I still wind up with a giant security hole dressed as an OS. Seriously, I think they put brokenness in on purpose just to have an excuse to do patches and get their sticky fingers in your EULA. And it still has the registry, and you still have to reboot for a lot of updates and installations. I'll stay with 7, on the dwindling number of boxen I have it on, until end of support, then decide if m$ has anything I want from there.

jbmayes2000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    Vincennes
    Thanks for the link.
    However, any OS that actually requires so much done to reconfigure and remove parts of it to make it acceptable is total crap.
    No wonder Microsoft has taken it in the shorts so badly over the last few years.
    They deserve it, what with their missteps (Windows 8.x, anyone?), but also as karma for their decades-long practice of FUD, bloatware, and vaporware.

These aren't really things the average person needs to do. These are basically things that slightly more inclined PC people do to really fine tune it. So don't feel as though they are MUST do things in order for it to work but it does help clean it up.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I have seen a lot about 10, but still can't figure out why I need it. All my home and work PCs are 7 pro or ultimate. If I had something with 8, I could see moving to 10.:dunno:

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I have a laptop with pre-installed Windows 8 and when I run the Windows 10 upgrade it asks for my product key. When I enter the key it won't accept it. I found one key in my OS and the other in the BIOS and it won't take either one.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have a laptop with pre-installed Windows 8 and when I run the Windows 10 upgrade it asks for my product key. When I enter the key it won't accept it. I found one key in my OS and the other in the BIOS and it won't take either one.

Do you not have a sticker on the machine with the key? If it came from an OEM with Windows installed, you should have a Certificate of Authenticity sticker on it I believe, with the product key.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Do you not have a sticker on the machine with the key? If it came from an OEM with Windows installed, you should have a Certificate of Authenticity sticker on it I believe, with the product key.

At one point manufacturers quit putting the authenticity sticker on new laptops. Mine happens to be one of them. I downloaded a key finder and it found it. I wrote that number down and it fails to work. I even done a copy and paste to make sure I wasn't entering it wrong. It still won't accept it even though this OS on my laptop is legit.

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar

Thanks for the link.

I've looked through this list and seeing nothing that I'd consider must do's or even recommendations. Most of what's listed here is personal preferences and disabling items that are perceived security risks. I read the reddit post as spreading FUD, not from MSFT.

FWIW, I've updated 3 machines now with zero issues.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks for the link.

I agree with this. All that stuff should be disabled by default and you should only have to go through all the hassle if you actually want that crap on your computer. This is the reason I will probably keep Win7 until I can't. There is NO valid reason that an OS should be sharing your wifi network info by default. None, nada, zip, and Bill Gates himself will never convince me otherwise.

Top Bottom