• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    They'll give them all a nice shiny ribbon for their uniform and send them home to die. The chances of them making things right are slim and none, just ask the former residents of Camp LeJeune who are going through a similar thing due to contaminated water wells. The Pentagon has a habit of not taking care of the people their actions make ill or kill.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Agent Orange anyone?
    Precisely!

Thanks for your service, if you have any further issues related to your service please file the paperwork and wait 30+ years. NEXT!

The gubment would rather our veterans die in combat than come home and need care. Funerals can be wrapped up all tidy with a folded flag.

its a betrayal is what it is. NO MAN LEFT BEHIND OR FORGOTTEN!!!

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    radiation contaminated water...

Okay, as a former navy nuke, it IS probable that they got some contamination in the water and air systems of the ship.

HOWEVER....

Navy aircraft carriers have a lot of nuclear trained personnel on them, for obvious reasons. They are nuclear powered. You have a level of expertise there that is above and beyond a majority of anyone you will find in the civilian world. As far as Navy aviation not ever having to deal with radiation before, I disagree. Their common exposure is much higher than most nukes. That's right, pilots and air crews routinely get more exposure than those like me that stood watch right next to the Reactor Compartment.

The "danger" levels of radiation talked about in the article.....they are actually 10% of the actual danger limit (as allowed by US regulations). For example, by the rules setup, I could receive a annual dosage of 5 Rem per year and still be good. The Navy takes 10% of that and places an internal limit of 500 mrem per year. Any area that has an exposure of >1 mrem/hr is required to be posted as a radiation area. Average exposure for civilians doing everyday things is about 310 mrem per year. By law, I am allowed my Age * 1 Rem for lifetime exposure. Since I am 34, that means I am allowed 34 Rem total dosage before I am likely to see any side effects.

Quick reference guide: NRC: Fact Sheet on Biological Effects of Radiation

These airdales need to put on their big boy pants.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    TaunTaun said:
    Okay, as a former navy nuke, it IS probable that they got some contamination in the water and air systems of the ship.

HOWEVER....

I think Navy people are supposed to say 'bravo zulu' to posts such as this. I wouldn't know because I was ANG ;)

Top Bottom