• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    So i unboxed my lee pro 1000 and got me some other goodies to go along with it....And Im at about a 50/50 rate of success.

Here are the pics.....Im pretty sure Ive got some LIGHT powder loads in a couple of them...I pulled each round out to inspect it before adding a bullet...I dont have a scale.

picture.php

picture.php

Hopefully it gets easier...Im going to have to call lee sometime to figure out their goofy and vague instructions....I cant tell what to lube on the press and what to leave dry....

Crushed a few case...got a primer sideways, got a primer half seated, missed a few primers, over pressed a bullet...etc.etc.etc.

Got a bunch pf titegroup EVRYWHERE!

Growing pains, ignorance, or faulty equipment?

Been a mechanic since I was 15 and Im baffled.

God bless
    -Shred.

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    I would highly suggest that you purchase a scale before going any further. You really are shooting in the dark (no pun intended) without one.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    ...I dont have a scale.

How do you know how much powder is in each of the "Good" loads??

To be on the safe side, you may be wise to start all over again???...Bill.

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Another +1 for getting a scale. Even a cheap electronic one is better than not knowing. Im sure its on you to get list.

Last edited:

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Yes...a good digital scale is on the top of list of things to get....but I blew all my money on powder,primers,bullets, and holsters at the 1500.

Couldnt resist doing a round of 10 or so, just to see if the press works.

Also would like to get a reloading manual....going to try for some good, fast, target reloads.

Thanks for the comments....any and all criticism is welcome and good advice heeded...im a rookie here so Im listening closely to the more experienced...would have bought a "blue" press if it was in the budget...but the mortgage comes first...:(

God bless
    -Shred

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    Wow! Buy yourself a good reloading manual, Lee's Modern Reloading 2nd edition is one of my favorites, and familiarize yourself with the process before you get too frustrated. Reloading is all in the details.

Last edited:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Shred,

Does the term back-a**ward mean anything to you? ;)

Powder, primer and bullets are the LAST THREE THINGS you buy for reloading. A scale and TWO reloading manuals come first. Why? See the pictures above. You're wasting components and may just blow yersef up, putting the cart before the horse.

Let the combined wisdom (above) that results in 2 eyes and 10 digits guide you on a brighter path to reloading success. Put it all away until you have a good scale and have READ at least one reloading manual, preferably two. Lyman's 49th and the ABC's of reloading are both good choices. I don't mind if you eat your dessert first, but when it comes to making safe ammunition, there is a process to follow. Let's get the ship righted before we get back under way, alright? :)

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Sounds like good solid advice Broom....

All my life Ive been the "jump in head first and ask questions later" kind of guy...but this is teaching me some new manners.

Going to take a recess for a few, collect some brass, read some books, get a scale, and come back in a month or so(got a hot-rod to build too).

Absence makes the heart grow fonder, and the skull wiser.

Thanks guys and gals.

God bless
    -Shred

tstormdrums

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Howard County
    Without a powder scale and a good manual you are playing a dangerous game of Russian Roulette! At the very least you are on your way to ruining a good firearm. At the worst you are going to lose an appendage or worst! PLEASE talk to someone who already loads to show you the safe way to do it! If not, get some good life insurance and list me as your beneficiary!

Seriously, all joking aside this is not a project to undertake halfheartedly and without ALL of the proper equipment. As I side note, I hope you don't any distractions around your loading bench such as a TV, Radio or distractive children!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    If you have a Glock the kaboom could not be blamed on your reloads. :laugh:

Keep those as souvenirs and measure the powder when you break them down, just to see how close you were. Do not continue your streak of impatience and decide that you have to try those loads out.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Glad you're heeding some solid advice.

Manuals and a scale are requirements.

I will also suggest attending an intro to reloading class such as those taught by Aszerigan of Profire Arms and Supply.

Profire Arms & Supply, Inc. - INGunOwners

If that isn't possible, I strongly urge some INGO reloader in your area to help mentor you just a bit. It will simplify and speed up your learning process tremendously.

Reloading is a great hobby, but remember, we're making stuff that is supposed to explode just inches from our faces. It has to be done right!

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Great advice above. Andrew at Profire does a great class, and he's not that far from Muncie. Well worth it. Your Pro1000 is perfectly capable of making quality ammo, but may need a little adjusting. After you get a reloading manual, a scale, and take a class from Andrew, if you like I can spin up to Muncie and help you get your press sorted out. The Pro1000 can be finicky, but as a mechanic I'm confident you've got the mechanical aptitude that I find is helpful to tuning in the Pro1000. Once it's set up, you'll be fine. I can see from your photos that your case pusher probably could use a bit of adjustment. You also might want to take your primer feed rail apart and remove some of the flash it may have come out of the mold with that is hanging up your primers and preventing it from positioning above the primer ram (that'll cause a missed primer, or if it doesn't slide freely all the way into position, the tipped primer I see in your pictures). Keep us informed of your progress!

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Wow is all that I can say.

Even if you are in a hurry, buy a cheap scale and save for an expensive one. Amazon has reloading manuals in digital format if you are that impatient. Simply stated, I am thankful you did not bother shooting those rounds. If you are trying to get your press setup otherwise, load dummy rounds. It should give you an idea for your crimp and you OAL.

PLEASE be safe, and read the manuals.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    That looks like the crap that I made a long time ago before I started to figure things out. If I could get it figured out, you will too.

Slow down a little and start to feel the primers and the brass. With every progressive, there is a time to go fast and a time to slow up with the handle. As you learn to feel things, you will speed up.

Caldad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    It's great to be excited about something new! However, reloading is not something you'll want to learn "the hard way!" The hard way entails the possible loss of fingers, hands, eyes or even your life.

The first thing I would do if I were in your shoes, is dispose of all the loads you've made so far.

Then- order a scale. I have a Lee Scale (a lot of people hate it- I love it), and I also have an inexpensive digital scale (of course, what ever you get needs to measure in grains). I like having two scales, and being able to occasionally verify that my digital scale is still accurate. To reload without a scale is extremely dangerous!!! (Hence, the disposing of the loads you've made so far)

Next- Buy and read LEE's Reloading book, and/or "The ABC's of Reloading." After finishing the book... reread it. Then after that, revisit sections that you feel weren't clear. (This is exactly what I did- along with getting and reading everything our Evansville library system had about reloading) Become a student, and learn it, until you feel you can teach it. Then you're ready to reload.

After doing these things, you'll be more prepared to figure out any issues you're having. ie.- did the cases crush when trying to seat the bullet because they weren't chamfered/deburred properly?

For you safety, please forget that you've been a mechanic since you were 15... over confidence could be costly. Be a student, and learn all you can.

Also, I don't understand people that race to see how many loads they can do an hour... I'd rather load at a comfortable speed, do it right/safely, and enjoy loading. I load on a LEE Classic Turret Press that they say can load 200 rounds per hour... I only average about 100-110, and don't really care about getting any faster. Be patient- go slow- build good loads- be safe!

Good [STRIKE]luck![/STRIKE] loading!

I would highly suggest that you purchase a scale before going any further. You really are shooting in the dark (no pun intended) without one.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    any of our fine members local to him (muncie area)? It would be good for him to see some reloading done and maybe catch some tips. I would be glad to offer up my time (im also running a lee pro 1000) but im a good distance from you as i am south west of indy by about 30 miles. To give you a reference it does get better as i only have about 1-2 issues (normally primer problem) per 100 loaded rounds. And thats moving at a fairly good pace but keeping an eye on whats going on as well (about 100 rounds in 20 min) I can load faster but thats not the point of it. I load to make better rounds not to crank out as fast as i can.

Pick up a scale and manual and go to Lee's website and watch all their videos on the set up and follow them step by step. Take your time in the set up and you will get it in the long run.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Well--YES--BUT--

Good grief!
    You should limit yourself to factory ammunition. Proof that some people should not be reloading.

Bob, you are correct in that statement, but, let's see if we can steer the OP toward the right direction first.

Needless to say--The OP should NOT shoot ANY of the loads from that first batch.

Lets see if some of the " Lee FanBoys" can step up and start this Man off on a fresh/correct direction. I "Bleed Blue", so I can not be much help on the Lee press.

The OP needs to:
    Slow Down
    Buy a QUALITY Scale
    Buy a QUALITY Caliper
    Find a Mentor for some 1 on 1 instruction..

As always--JUST--My 2 cents worth..Bill.

Top Bottom