• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    This weekend will be the first time i shoot my new AR and i want to get some of the 25m Zero Targets that are available at various sources. I'm just wondering what distance do you guys have your irons set for?

I can get targets for 50/200, 100, and 300 and just want some input as to what other people do. the standard is 300 so I originally thought of that, but i have nowhere to shoot that far. Did any of you take into account your environment, or did you just go with the standard understanding to adjust your hold depending on distance?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    IBZO of 50/200 is a simple adjustment to allow for negative clicks below the standard 300 and beyond markings. If you really wanted to, I'd imagine you could set it up for a few more negative clicks to allow for a true 100 zero as well, but the poi change is relatively small and close enough for my purposes.

Ryan281

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    If you only have access to a 25 yard range then zero 1 inch low at 25 yards. You shoukd be dead on at 50, 1.5"high at 100, and zeroed again at 200. 300 yu wil be 15" low or so depending on load and barrel length.

Ryan

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Also, for the most thorough and complete explanation and demonstration of various zeroes, I would highly recommend checking out Travis Haley's Adaptive Carbine from Panteao Productions.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...w_training_dvds_from_panteao_productions.html

From my review:
    esrice said:
    For me, the section on zeroing stood out the most. I've never seen it demonstrated quite like TH did. Not only were the mechanics of zeroing covered, but also the theory of zeroing at different distances, and picking the one that works best for your shooting style and "mission". He even takes it one step further and demonstrates what the different zeroes look like when shot at 25, 50, 100, 200, and 300 yards. For me it confirmed that the 50 yard zero works best for my application. But it also gave me a much better idea of when the other zeroes make more sense.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Alright all good info. I'll just go with the 50/200, but I have a MBUS rear sight on a 16" midlength. will this effect my adjustments or target choice?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Or you could consider using the US Army M16 zeroing target. I could email one to you....It is my favorite.

2ltiirn.jpg

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Or you could consider using the US Army M16 zeroing target. I could email one to you....It is my favorite.

yea those are the targets im going to use. i found numerous sources for download, plus they have made variations for the different type of zeroes and ones for rifles and different ones for carbines.

Ryan281

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Be careful that after you zero your rifle that you flip the rear aperture to make sure your point of impact doesnt change. Many rear sights are not "same plane"and your POI can change as much as 12 inches at 50 yards from switching from the large aperture to the small one or visa versa.
    Ryan

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Be careful that after you zero your rifle that you flip the rear aperture to make sure your point of impact doesnt change. Many rear sights are not "same plane"and your POI can change as much as 12 inches at 50 yards from switching from the large aperture to the small one or visa versa.
    Ryan

This is a good point. The two holes are rarely on the same plane and just flipping from one to the other is worth 1/2 minute of wind because you are turning it on the wind screw.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I did the IBZO zeroing thing, and tested the click setting ona 300yd range and they didn't match up, so I wouldn't waste my time ever again fiddling with the elevation drum. Just nail you target at 50yds, then aim 6" high at 300yds, don't even touch the elevation drum. GI's don't stop in a gunfight to adjust elevation. It is only a matter of inches, so adjust your holdover as necessary. And, use a good red dot as soon as your happy with your iron sight abilities. Don't go to training with irons.

PS, reading posts above about aperature...use small apperature always, large is for CQB, where precision doesn't matter.

Ryan281

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    ATM,

It shouldnt happen at all, but it does a lot. Troy, Colt, Bravo company, LMT, Daniel Defense, Larue, all hae same plane rear sights. I have seen way too many duty rifles zeroed one day and miss the target the next day because the shooter flips the sight. 12 inches is normal...6 inches i about the minimum that have seen.....Crazy

Last edited:
    Top Bottom