• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kimmi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    So today I zeroed my first scope! We bought it this afternoon and mounted it on my Marlin 795. We took it out to a buddy's house and set up sawdust bags on a table. I was taking the shots, and my husband was watching through his spotting scope to hep me out.

It took about 20 rounds to get it zeroed, and then our buddy wanted to shoot it. He took 8 shots and then handed it back to me. I loaded the magazine back up and hunkered down to try a smaller target and couldn't even hit the board it was stuck to! I put all 10 rounds through it, and couldn't hit a thing. I handed it over to my husband to see if the wind was affecting me more than I realized or maybe I had just gone retarded. He put 5 or 6 rounds through it and then we noticed that when the wind blew, the scope was moving, but not the barrel.

Apparently the setting down and handing off had loosened the front mounting bracket so the scope had completely shifted. Yay! I hadn't gone retarded!

A couple allen-wrench turns and 8 more rounds got us zeroed back in. I know most of the people reading this thread will already be aware of this, but it is so satisfying when you're trying to figure how many clicks this way and that way, and then you hit right in the middle of the bullseye! Success! :D

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i know what ya mean. being relatively new to firearms, i was completely psyched when I zero'd my ACOG for the first time. It was nice to see the bullseye torn up. :)

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I know what you mean! I tried to zero in the scope on my Ruger 10/22 at a friend's outdoor range but could not even tell if I hit the target. I gave up and started over another day at an indoor range. Took about fifteen shots to get it zeroed, and then I had a good time putting rounds through that little hole in the middle of the colored dot at the center of the target. :ar15:

Yea, it wan't me either!! :rockwoot::D

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Congratulations! I always, take my rifles to the local shop and have them bore sighted. At 25 yards, it puts you pretty much dead on. Then, it's just a matter of zeroing it at the preferred range.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    So today I zeroed my first scope! We bought it this afternoon and mounted it on my Marlin 795. We took it out to a buddy's house and set up sawdust bags on a table. I was taking the shots, and my husband was watching through his spotting scope to hep me out.

It took about 20 rounds to get it zeroed, and then our buddy wanted to shoot it. He took 8 shots and then handed it back to me. I loaded the magazine back up and hunkered down to try a smaller target and couldn't even hit the board it was stuck to! I put all 10 rounds through it, and couldn't hit a thing. I handed it over to my husband to see if the wind was affecting me more than I realized or maybe I had just gone retarded. He put 5 or 6 rounds through it and then we noticed that when the wind blew, the scope was moving, but not the barrel.

Apparently the setting down and handing off had loosened the front mounting bracket so the scope had completely shifted. Yay! I hadn't gone retarded!

A couple allen-wrench turns and 8 more rounds got us zeroed back in. I know most of the people reading this thread will already be aware of this, but it is so satisfying when you're trying to figure how many clicks this way and that way, and then you hit right in the middle of the bullseye! Success! :D

Sounds like you did a great job! ;)

The Schmo that put your scope on and didn't tighten it enough needs to be smacked it sounds like.

USMC3041

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Congrats on new gun and getting scope zeroed. You might want to check out 795 threads on other forums, as you may still have a problem with scope moving.
    Just purchased a 795 myself, getting it set up for Appleseed next year. I and others have run into problems mounting Tech Sights and scopes on this particular rifle due to some dovetail problems and canted barrels.
    Irregardless will not get rid of the rifle, shooting 1/2 groups at 25 yards with it and tech sights. Have not put a scope on it yet. The problems you find can be worked around. Read up on the rifle. Great 22 rifle with the right ammo, may buy another one. For $125.00 after rebate you can't go wrong.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Congratulations! I just set up a scope on my new (to me) 795, and it is satisfying. The 795 was a little difficult for me, because I couldn't bore sight it like I can a bolt action. Couldn't figure out how to peek down the barrel. Took a lot of rounds to get on paper, but after that it was fine.

A word of warning-go with the blue Loctite as recommended. I cranked down a little to hard on the rings where they mount to the dovetail-rings are steel, the receiver (and dovetail) are aluminum. Oops.

rcjack86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Indianapolis/Lafayette

My first scope took about that long to zero, guess I should have read the manual first!!

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Congratulations! 20 rounds isn't too bad for your first time. I had an acquaintance once that wasted 80 rounds and an hour trying to zero a scope on an AR15 and never did get it even close. I finally took it from him and got it dialed in in about 10 minutes with 5 or 6 rounds. He was not happy.

rebr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Blue Locite is a great thing for holding small screws. I use it on all my scope mounts and rings. Congrats on your first zero.

Unless you're trying to mount a scope on a pic rail attached to a mosin.... I moved up to red loctite and finally just had to replace the small screws with small bolts. works like a charm now, though

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Unless you're trying to mount a scope on a pic rail attached to a mosin.... I moved up to red loctite and finally just had to replace the small screws with small bolts. works like a charm now, though

I'd like to see some pictures. I thinking about getting a run of the mill Mosin and sporterizing it, and I was wondering about how to mount a scope.

Top Bottom