• May, 1999, Pensacola, Florida: When a sophomore
    loaned her nail clippers with an attached
    nail file to a friend, a teacher saw and confiscated
    the clippers. The girl, aspiring to be a
    doctor, was given a 10-day suspension and
    threatened with expulsion. Said the high school
    principal, “Life goes on. You learn from your​
    mistakes. We are recommending expulsion.”

see, thats the kinda stuff the agrivates me about zero tolerance. since when in gods name has that been a weapon??

good read. long read but good.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    • November, 1998, Deer Lakes, Pennsylvania: At
    Curtisville Elementary School, 5 year old Jordan
    Locke was suspended for wearing a 5-inch
    plastic ax as part of his firefighter’s costume to
    a Halloween party in his classroom. After
    firefighters around the country contacted
    school officials complaining about the incident,
    school officials composed an “Open Letter to
    Firemen Across the Country” stating that they
    never intended to offend firefighters by referring
    to the ax as a weapon, but defending the​
    zero tolerance policy against weapons as fair.

heres another good quote. seriously? a 5" plastic ax? that scares people?

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Actually, it is usually supported by conservatives as a "get tough" measure in schools, without really giving it much thought.

Do you mean it is supported by Conservatives as well, or are they the ones driving it?

If you mean supporting it, I agree with you. Here's why though.....in this day and age, Progressive and Conservative are not mutually exclusive by the way society now defines them.

Case in point: John McCain is Conservative on some issues and Progressive on many others. He is tagged with the label of 'Moderate Conservative', but other than on some issues of national defense, he's pretty much Progressive-light. I.E. government control one step at a time, rather than the current administration which leaped 5 steps in a single bound :rolleyes: If the world was calling a spade a spade, you would call McCain unprincipaled.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Full.Metal.Compass.

God, I hate the fact that some people are my countrymen.

Imbecility reigns, it seems... may the day come when ignorance ceases to exist.

Amen.

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Any person who has ever taken a self defense class - as well as those who have trained regularly in martial arts - should be expelled from school. These kids have weapons as hands and feet.

Lets not forget the wrestling team. They are trained to fight, they've got to be expelled.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We were discussing zero tolerance yesterday morning. There was a photo in the Star showing a High School drill team, flag team, whatever you call them around here. Anyway the girls were carrying fake wooden rifles. I know they are fake, so do you, however it seems rather hypocritical of the school systems to expel a kindergartener for having a 1" long plastic gun, or a 4th grader for pointing is finger "gun" at another student, ad nauseum and yet this same school system promotes gun toting majorettes! Pathetic and petty of me I know but if you make an acception to "zero tolerance", doesn't that now change the definition of "zero tolerance"?

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Another reason why compulsory schooling is a bad idea.

An Amendment to the Indiana Constitution to remove public schooling as a requirement of the state would be a good step towards improving education.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    We were discussing zero tolerance yesterday morning. There was a photo in the Star showing a High School drill team, flag team, whatever you call them around here. Anyway the girls were carrying fake wooden rifles. I know they are fake, so do you, however it seems rather hypocritical of the school systems to expel a kindergartener for having a 1" long plastic gun, or a 4th grader for pointing is finger "gun" at another student, ad nauseum and yet this same school system promotes gun toting majorettes! Pathetic and petty of me I know but if you make an acception to "zero tolerance", doesn't that now change the definition of "zero tolerance"?
    And back beyond the dawn of time, I carried a M14 while drilling with JROTC :D

Not to mention the rifle range in the school basement.

Top Bottom