YouTube videos of standing your ground at home?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    YouTube is an amazing source of knowledge for the visual learner... yet it abounds with How-to-videos showing how you too can be just like an Uber LEET SWAT Operator and clear your home of bad guys...

But, how about the videos showing a more sensible, gather your loved ones in a room and call for help while keeping your gun trained on the door?

Don't get me wrong, there are situations where clearing your house is necessary, like a family member is trapped on the other side of the house, or you live out in BFE where the police go home at night... but most Dick and Jane type gun owners have a better chance of surviving by arming, staying behind cover, and calling for help.

We should promote safety and smarts over heroics for home defense.

#1 Very good tips, but -1 for discouraging use of HD shotguns
    Protecting yourself from a home invasion with Michael Bane - YouTube

#2 - short, sweet and good for some homes, but too short.
    defending your home - YouTube

#3 - Very very good, but GUN IS NOT LOADED! :xmad:
    Protecting Yourself During a Home Invasion - YouTube

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    by arming, staying behind cover, and calling for help.

Thats exactly what the .gov would want you to think.... they dont want you to take responsibility for your own protection because its to "dangerous"

Are we such a risk averse people that its easier to let someone else take the risk and clear out homes than for us to do it ourselves? Load of crap if i you ask me. thats what got us to this point in the country to begin with. Life is dangerous, live it anyways.

I will NEVER be of the midnset to "wait for someone else to do what I should be doing anyways."

Sure its risky, sure bad things can happen.... But thats life. If you are so afraid of taking risks you should give up your drivers license also.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Are we such a risk averse people that its easier to let someone else take the risk and clear out homes than for us to do it ourselves? Load of crap if i you ask me. thats what got us to this point in the country to begin with. Life is dangerous, live it anyways.

Aren't good tactics all about risk aversion? I'll ambush someone over hunting them any day. I'm not saying I'll call the police for every little bump in the night, but I will take every advantage I can get when it comes to fighting.

That being said, the layout of my children's bedrooms doesn't allow me such a luxury.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    From Shakespeare's Henry IV, Part One we read, as spoken by Falstaff, "The better part of valour is discretion; in the which better part I have saved my life."

I would argue there is no material item in your home genuinely worth killing or dying over. Hence, many times it is better to barricade in place and wait for backup. Sitting warm and comfortable in front of a computer, it's easy to armchair a killing and imagineer yourself throwing catch phrases around like Willis, Stallone, and Schwarzenegger as dozens of cartridge casings clatter across your kitchen floor. In reality, CQB is fast, nasty, and comes without do overs. CQB is likely the most unforgiving mistress of all and unless you are highly trained and carrying gear most civilians don't even know exists, there's a very good chance it will end poorly for you and your family. If you manage to kill an intruder in your home, your gear will be confiscated and you will be held to account for explaining the whys and why nots of your actions. You will likely face a lengthy and expensive civil suit brought by your "victim's" family. Your good name will be kinda ruined among vast swaths of our hand-wringing society. You will never, EVER forget the subtleties of the event. You will never forget the choking gasps as he dies from YOUR gunshot. You'll never forget his eyes as the light fades away from behind them. You'll carry those memories every waking minute for the rest of your life, and they will frequently invade your dreams. Killing is a poor business, plain and simple, and you'd best make sure you're mentally and physically prepared to go downrange before doing so.

With all that being said, let's discuss our kids. Finding a child on the other side of a perceived threat introduces an entirely new dynamic to this discussion, or at least, it does to me and several others I've spoken with on the matter. I work hard every day to be a pleasant, jovial, and helpful fellow. I want for us all to have fun and get along and make an acceptable living as we make our way along the path of life. I served in the military, in a hi-speed MOS, but that was then and this is now. That guy is mostly just a memory these days, with my attention being focused on the more mundane details of day-to-day living. But don't get between me and my kid. With most predators, coming between parent and offspring ends dramatically and horrifically for the unfortunate man in the middle. That's what I train for. That's why I pay what I pay for the gear I purchase and train with. Not for fear someone's going to swipe my flat screen or make off with a few laptops or even steal my truck. It's because of the magnitude of response I'll be bringing down on the lost soul that finds himself between the child and me.

The dichotomy I see in myself, in this context, will probably never cease to amaze me.

Top Bottom