• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hello all! My son is 11 and has started to take an interest in deer hunting with me. I've used a 450 bushmaster for the past 3 years and love it with great success. The rifle is a bit long for him and he's not a big fan of the kick. Im looking for something he can grow into. Any suggestions on a decent rifle and caliber? I was thinking 350 legend or .243. Also, something that wouldn't break the bank as he will eventually grow out of it. Thanks in advance and hope you are all doing well!!
    Let him shoot your rifle. At 11 years old you should be with him TEACHING HIM any way. You don't need two rifles and a child to keep track of all at once in the deer woods.

Last edited:

Michigan Slim

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Let him shoot your rifle. A 11 years old you should be with him TEACHING HIM any way. You don't need two rifles and a child to keep track of all at once in the deer woods.
    Hunted with my kids that way for their youth hunting years. I told my daughter one day, as my dad said to me, 'I don't care if I ever shoot another one. This is more fun!' Now I just sit hoping and praying to hear my kids rifles bark.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I bought the Grandson one of the Savage 110 hog hunter in .350 legend. It has adjustable length of pull and iron sights.

No scope till you hit with iron sights.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I'd vote .243. My kids have used it one whitetail and mule deer, coyotes, antelope, prairie dogs, badgers. I'd be willing to bet that the .350 legend ammo becomes scarce one of these days, just like other must have"fad" cartridges (7saum, .300saum., .300wsm., .243wssm, .270wsm, 7ultra) have become. If you don't reload or your kids are not likley to later on, that's an issue. A .243 is always going to be on the shelf and you easily find anything from a 55 gr. to 100 gr bullet for it.

I shoot a .300wsm for elk and my choice in commercial cartridges is not even half what it once was. I can still find anything for the .243.

Dirty Steve

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I would think that the goal for a kid's first rifle would be to make it as easy to shoot as possible while still hitting as hard as possible on the business end. I'd rule out a lever action or a .44 mag in any form. While the recoil is pretty mild, I've yet to see a .44 that was very impressive on the terminal end. The recoil on a .243 is not bad, especially if you find one with good stock, but the muzzle blast can be a little intimidating if they don't take the time to become accustomed to it. Another thing of concern is that while ammo is readily available, a lot of it has little business being shot at deer, especially by neophytes. The .350 Legend is the obvious choice if you plan to hunt public land at all and is a solid choice even if you don't. Ammo is readily available and recoil and muzzle blast are both mild. Were it me, I'd take a long hard look at a Howa in 6.5 Grendel. Recoil is almost non-existent and acceptable ammo is readily available. The Howa is also available in .350 Legend if you prefer.

RobertIN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2024
    West Harrison
    I started reloading on a Black & Decker workmate bench with a piece of plywood screwed to the top and 1/4 round trim around 3 sides to keep stuff from rolling off.
    20200404_014617.jpg

I did as well. While not ideal it worked for the limited amount of loading I had to do.

Top Bottom