Your Take (Opinions) On The Range - Actual Shooters Only Please!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • curraheeguns

Master
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Ok, here is your shot!! We have now been open for three full days during the "soft opening" phase.

Post up:

#1 - Date You Were Here
    #2 - Apx. Time You Were Here
    #3 - Opinions On Improving (Or What Should Stay The Same!!)

Please keep this thread to the shooters who have visited us in person and shot at the range. I understand that not everyone believes that our price structure is competitive, but if you have not shot here, then.....

Last edited:

bloodman

Marksman
    Mar 4, 2011
    in your nightmares
    I was there 12/17/12 at about 4PM nothing in my opinion should change, the air circulation was a bit strong but thats no big deal. The air quality was outstanding, that was a great concern of mine at other ranges. The price does not surprise me, I expected it for such a top notch indoor range, other ranges do offer memberships, buy 10 visits for half price, which helps with the cost if a person shoots on a regular basis. I will be back, just not as often as I was at the other range, at least I won`t be walking out of there tasting burnt gun powder for 15 min, that has got to be bad for your health.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    12/18

I was there at 1:00 12/18. There were only 3-4 other shooters but I am impressed with the ventilation. I could feel the air movement and see the smoke being carried down range. Hope it does as well when there are 15 shooters. The target carrier system is great. No guessing at how far you're shooting. The only thing I can think of to add would be some coat hooks or a shelf along the back wall. I like it!

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    #1 - Date You Were Here
    First day.
    #2 - Apx. Time You Were Here\
    The second it opened.
    Overall things were very excellent, airflow was perfect. Not even my mighty M14 and it's 7.62x51 round could cause any smoke behind the line. The target system is awesome. There were some nitpicky things. The bank of florescent lights just behind the line were backlighting my rear ghost ring sight on my M14. The guys there took immediate note. The two doors into the range are tough get thru with a large rifle on your back while holding other things in hand. The two doors had to be opened at the same time possibly exposing people in line and employees to loud DB noise from the range. I understand that the massive blast from the M14 flash suppressor was causing some big issues with shooters in adjacent lanes. Shooting pistol it was perfect, no complaints there. Some hooks, rifle racks, and shelves or whatnot would be nice.

My luger decided to act up, but that is par for the course with that cranky pistol LOL nothing to do
    with the range.

I will certainly be back.

Field King

Expert
    Oct 26, 2008
    Shot there today (12-19-12) approx. 2 p.m. Good clean air! Nice easy to use target system. Having Gary to aggravate while checking in was good. Rick..............

GhostMedic

Plinker
    May 19, 2011
    #1 - Date You Were Here

Wednesday, 12/19/12

#2 - Apx. Time You Were Here

~12:00PM-2:00PM

Every staff member I came in contact with was very helpful, nice, and just all around pleasant to chat with. Range officers were great and made themselves available for any needs of shooters. Range was by far the nicest indoor shooting range I have ever been to. Ventilation, Action Target systems, Lanes, and Lighting were all spectacular. No complaints whatsoever. As previous members have said, a couple coat/gun racks would be nice but seeing as they just opened, I am sure these are in the works. Gary at the counter was a great help and very pleasant to deal with. Not one person there (including the front shop area as well as the range) treated you like an idiot/novice/new-to-the-gun-world like most firearms retailers I have been to. Much kudos and respect to all at Beech Grove Firearms. I will certainly be back. Thanks to all.

Here is a photo of my buddy in the range
    BRF2_zps1c1714ec.jpeg

And the part of the range where, when I walked in, I probably looked like an idiot. Giggling and pointing and all....
    BGF1_zpsae38d30f.jpeg

All in all, like I said before, Best indoor range I've ever been to. Top notch staff. Quality place with quality people. Thanks to all at BGF. Congratulations on your new range!

swanny

Plinker
    Aug 6, 2012
    Shot there 12/18 ( 11:00 AM )

1) Great range officer('s) very nice & knowledgeable.
    2) They could use some shelving behind the shooting area to handle jackets & maybe reloading if there is more than one person on a lane.
    3) Target holders need to be further down once they start rentals ( so noobies don't shoot the roof / target system )
    4) The air-lock is a little small & very difficult to keep one door closed.

Overall it is by far the best indoor range I've seen in Indiana.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    I visited today (12/20/12) around 4PM.

Definately agree with some others that some tables to reload at againt the back wall would be nice when sharing a lane.
    Also agree the airlock is to close together to keep one door closed while opening the other, but I imagine that would be difficult to change now.

Definately the best range in town and well worth the extra cost compared to the other indoor ranges I have been to.

Feb 24, 2009
    Beech Grove, IN
    I was there today for the first time(Dec 21) around 10:30am and will say it's the best indoor range I've been on. It was clean including the air quality, love the 25yd distance and as always, a great staff.

Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    Just got back from a one hour shooting session with two friends. We shared lanes 4 and 5. 12/21/2012 12:30 to 1:30.

Staff was super friendly.
    Range officers were circulating, curtious, and social.
    Price was right for the quality of the facility.

Range officer with vest and name "Stillabower" was in on some conversation when I expressed I'm never going back to Pops, he mentioned he's heard that a lot this week. Mr. Stillabower, if you read this, thanks for your professionalism.

My only negatibve comments have been mentioned already above:
    1) Coat hooks on the rear wall would be nice.
    2) Tables to keep bags and gear off the floor would also be nice on the back wall.
    3) That's it!!

I'm very happy to have a quality place to go that's not too far from home.

Last edited:

indyvinnie

Plinker
    Feb 28, 2012
    Central Indiana
    Visited the range today (12/21) from about 3:30 to 4:30. In my opinion, this is a great range. Air quality is superb. Target system is great. Staff is very friendly and they run a good range.

My only suggestions have already been mentioned. Tables, hooks, or shelves of some type are needed.

IndyTacoma

Plinker
    Dec 29, 2010
    Avon
    1. 12/21/12
    2. 3-4
    3. Lower the target rails or have a larger cardboard to staple targets too. I was shooting my ar and was affraid to put targets all the way down. I was shooting at 15 and it felt like I was shooting into the ceiling when hitting center mas on supplied target.

Other than that top notch range and safety officers! I will be going back

gatorindy

Marksman
    Oct 2, 2009
    Very Nice

Was there today at 2:00.
    Amazing range. Would love a lesson on how to use the advanced features ofthe target system. This looks like it has potential to use for competitive shooting events.

Well ran, nice facility. Even did a few double taps. Kept expecting someoneto yell at me for shooting faster than one second between shots!

Range officers were helpful and pleasant, but Iwas hoping for a better looking ones. Guess they can't improve everything at once.

Boring2u

Plinker
    Dec 15, 2012
    Visited 12/22/12 at roughly 12:30. The wife and I shared a lane. Had a cease fire during our session, and range officers were very professional about it. It was my first time to an indoor range, and set the bar very high. I was originally planning a trip to a different range, where others have previously complained about wait times. After hearing this range recently opened and had quite a few lanes, I thought I'd give it a try. Everything about this range was great. Friendly, professional desk and range officers, well ventilated, and modern target placement. As others have mentioned, a bench, hooks or something along the back wall might be nice for equipment/personal items. A couple of times I caught myself fumbling through things on the floor.

The store upfront was a different story. I understand that this is a busier period than normal with potential bans forthcoming and only a few days before Christmas. However, I waited 15 minutes before and after range time hoping to inquire about some magazines I'm looking for. I wasn't able to talk to anyone (they all were busy or appeared busy), so I left. I hope on any other day I would get a little more assistance.

Even with the wait, the range was so nice that I'll probably only shoot here during the winter. Thus discounts for multi-visits would be a good offering (not that I'm your only patron).

ike1018

Plinker
    Nov 22, 2011
    Was there 12/20 at 4 PM

Really a great experience, clean, neat, ROs were nice, love the digital target system, ventilation was amazing compared to other indoor ranges I have been to, set up in the stalls was conducive to allowing me to retain my spent brass. Only a couple of minor suggestions that I'll echo from previous member posts. First, shelving or skinny tables on back wall to put gear on. Second, membership card to expedite the check in process and for frequent shooter discounts. I believe I heard you guys had this in the works already.

Again, really a first class facility, but I like that you guys are still looking to improve it.

slowG

Expert
    Dec 15, 2010
    I was there on Friday the 21st around 3:00.

I really like the circulation and the lighting. The target system is great too. I have purchased two fire arms at BGF and the pricing was great. I really anticipated more competitive pricing. 30$ for an hour is steep for a lot of shooters. I really would love counter space behind the lanes as well. I feel the hanging system I probably temporary.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I was there today from about 3:30-5:30 and the facility is top notch. I would definately recommend a coat hook for each station and some sort of table/bench for the shooter to store his/her gear on while shooting. I understand there may be some resistance to a rear table for fears of people loading weapons back there instead of keeping their weapons pointed down range. Hopefully there's a solution. Nice place and the best range in Indy by far.:yesway:

Top Bottom