• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    Which leads to a good question that is bound to come up. You have a shell spill after loading it or say you pull a bullet on a shell that was store bought. How would you
    A. Clean the area B. dispose of the powder your not loading with?

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    Which leads to a good question that is bound to come up. You have a shell spill after loading it or say you pull a bullet on a shell that was store bought. How would you

Clean it up with a rag or broom and pitch it in the trash. It's not like it's radioactive or anything.:rolleyes:

slackerisme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Just north of Ft. Wayne
    I had let my 6 year old son help me reload by pulling the handle. I put a 45.acp case into the depriming slot, it must have been half in the slot anyhow. When he pulled the handle the press shot the case out like a bullet and it hit him square in the forehead. He was shocked to say the least. I was glad I make him put on glasses when he comes in the room.

He has since helped me trickle charges on numerous occasions and does a great job. I am glad the event did not scare him away.

SWAT-DOC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Had a squib round that had just enough power to lodge the slug in the barrel of my Springfield v-12. Bang, Bang, pop. I actually slap, racked and resighted the weapon and was going to complete the failure drill with a "snap" when it hit me that the last round did not sound good and the recoil was lite. I came soooooo close to messing up my day. Not my reloads though. I had another episode with factory 9mm. I was clearing a sub-gun and when the chambered round hit the ground the slug literally fell out of the case and the powder spilled out on the ground.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Blew my Italian Beretta 92FS up in my hand with a double-charge. it completely sheared off the locking block lugs and the springs went through the grips. A new spring kit and locking block, and it was back after I got the parts (a testament to the quality of the pistol). I then had 2 squib rounds lodge in my Colt AR, after which I started all my rifle reloads on a single stage press. Since I reload for not only my AR's, I also have M1's, M1903A3's, and M1917's, I just feel it is safer to do it that way. I would hate to screw up a piece of history.

BTW, I love sweeping the basement floor and throwing the debris on the fire. Unspent primers make one heck of a pop!

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    No incidents as of yet.

I reload slowly with a Lyman turret press, to the tune of 50 per hour.

The scale is used often and all cases are out of the press and visually checked for overcharges before the bullet is seated.

I don't know that I'd ever be comfortable with a progressive. All things mechanical eventually fail, and you never know in what manner they will go.

Josh <><

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN

I keep a 1-liter Mountain Dew bottle half full of water sitting under the bench. If I have to pull a bullet I dispose of the powder regardless, but the powder and dropped or unsure primers go in the bottle.

I detonated an entire tray of primers in my PRO1000. The primer feed in that machine is a poor design at best and one got lodged in the shell plate carrier. Pulled the handle and BANG....BOOOOOOM! I had all my safety gear on (apron, glasses, hat, etc...) The primer system was a total loss. I replaced it, but have yet to load another round on that machine. Not because I'm scared of it, but because the design is so poor, that I find it dangerous. I keep threatening to buy a Dillon, but haven't pulled the trigger on that just yet...

I use just a plain ol' Lee Turret and have started priming my 9, 40 45 all seperate from the press. I decap my brass with a universal decapping die( or you could use any die that is slightly larger than the case) and then clean it. I then prime my case and then load them just as I would normally but I have removed the decapping rod from my sizer die. I figure that this takes one step out of the proccess in the loading stage in between rounds and allows for more concentration along with less likely hood for mishap with poorly designed priming systems. I do all my priming regardless with a RCBS hand priming tool http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=329291 , this helps me feel the pressure( or lack of) it takes to seat the primer and also has the safety feature of a slide gate that seperates the primers in the tray from the one being seated incase there is a detonation.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    I dumped 2/3 of a uniflow hopper into the wrong can of powder.
    Lesson learned : Only have one can of powder on the bench at a time!
    Had to throw that can out, but could really have been dangerous if I would have loaded one powder, thinking it was the other...like KA-BOOM

Thats proably not the dumbest reloading thing Ive ever done, but its the one that comes to mind.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I dumped 2/3 of a uniflow hopper into the wrong can of powder.
    Lesson learned : Only have one can of powder on the bench at a time!
    Had to throw that can out, but could really have been dangerous if I would have loaded one powder, thinking it was the other...like KA-BOOM

Thats proably not the dumbest reloading thing Ive ever done, but its the one that comes to mind.

Or you could experiment with duplex loads... :rockwoot:

Top Bottom