• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i would have to say my cane corso i got while in italy. he is a beast at 130 lbs blue brindle. he does anything i tell him too. and if my daughter or wife are around you don't get out of your car unless i am outside and tell him its ok. but he is just as happy to lay inside at my feet for hours on end. doesn't need a ton of exercise though he is the fastest dog i have ever seen rabbits and squirrels don't stand a chance and he can jump a 6 ft fence like it doesn't exist. i have seen him do w/ no running start just a flat jump. after him i would have to go w/ my german rott. she is w/out a doubt the smartest dog i have ever owned. it was like when you spoke to her she actually understood you. my parents have her now. when i left for the army i left her to them and she is now theirs but she still knows daddy

here's a couple pics of the big man

DSCN0037.jpg

DSCN0153.jpg

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    My good buddy. AKC Golden Retriever, rocking the Cabelas hat. For having a severe case of dog ADD, hes a pretty cool dog. Very loyal, great with the little brothers, and as calm and collected he is in the day, he literally turns into a psychopathic axe murderer at night. :laugh:
    Best part was picking him up, him and his 6 siblings spent 10 minutes chasing my 2 year old brother in a circle. Being the 14 year old kid I was, I stopped laughing after 9min and finally made the heroic rescue, my brother hated the dog for years after that.

15747_214042751600_581381600_3580962_3138672_n.jpg

Last edited:

RockCreekRelics

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    Without a doubt my first choice would be a Bullmastiff.They are smart,loyal,non- aggresive but very protective.Awesome dogs.I would probably want some sort of hunting or livestock guardian dog as well.

Scam1789

Long time Member mostly lurking.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2008
    Pittsboro
    I have a half Rhodesian Ridgeback, half Pit Bull. He is the smartest dog I have ever owned. I would definitely want him at my side if SHTF. He is the perfect combination of hunting and defense. He has the speed and nose of a Ridgeback, and the intimidation and muscle of a Pit.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I have a half Rhodesian Ridgeback, half Pit Bull. He is the smartest dog I have ever owned. I would definitely want him at my side if SHTF. He is the perfect combination of hunting and defense. He has the speed and nose of a Ridgeback, and the intimidation and muscle of a Pit.

Now that sounds like a very interesting mix. Do you have an pictures to share?

disengaged

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    Madison County

I'll keep my Brittany...very intelligent/alert, hunts, retrieves, doesn't eat much - but wouldn't bite to save his best bone (that's where my mutt comes in).

There he is in the picture above after he just finished cleaning my over and under. (well, I did most of the work)

Tom Greenacres

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    My 160-pound Mastiff's ribs were showing when she turned up in my yard a year ago. Extremely shy, been abused. But my beloved black Lab, Coco and Mastiff Cake put her at ease and after a couple weeks she came in the house. Coco and Cake since died of histoplasmosis (get your dogs innoculated if they play near standing water!). Broke my heart, but sent us looking for dogs that needed a home.

We adopted a little black Lab mix from the shelter; she was found lying in a snowbank last winter with a gunshot wound. She is unnaturally smart, probably 7-9 years old and knows how to open a door by turning the doorknob the right way. She follows me everywhere. Weighs 35 pounds.

Our Aussie came to us from a family that's moving. She is hungry for affection, very intelligent, weighs in at 70 pounds.

So, who's on top in the dog chain? The littlest, oldest, most experienced one- the Lab mutt: in dogdom, it's more about attitude than size. Or as the old cliche goes, "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."

And if I had to choose one if the SHTF...I wouldn't. (Though the Mastiff would be visually the most intimidating.)

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    I have a chow and a pekenease(sp?)
    I would rather have the small dog because she barks if anyone comes around and wouldnt take much to feed.

Someone would just shoot your big dog...I'll take my little dog and my big gun anyday.:rockwoot:

BigCat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    i would have to say my cane corso i got while in italy. he is a beast at 130 lbs blue brindle. he does anything i tell him too. and if my daughter or wife are around you don't get out of your car unless i am outside and tell him its ok. but he is just as happy to lay inside at my feet for hours on end. doesn't need a ton of exercise though he is the fastest dog i have ever seen rabbits and squirrels don't stand a chance and he can jump a 6 ft fence like it doesn't exist. i have seen him do w/ no running start just a flat jump. after him i would have to go w/ my german rott. she is w/out a doubt the smartest dog i have ever owned. it was like when you spoke to her she actually understood you. my parents have her now. when i left for the army i left her to them and she is now theirs but she still knows daddy

here's a couple pics of the big man

DSCN0037.jpg

DSCN0153.jpg

What an awesome Dog. I have a lot of good things about the breed but never had the chance to see one in person. Beautiful animal for sure.

BigCat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    For me it would depend (I agree with the mutt advocates as well).

I think it is hard to go wrong with a Shepherd (especially a true German one)

I like the American Bulldogs and Bull Mastiffs. The American being perhaps a bit more of a jack of all trades than the Bull Mastiff (but I like the temperament of the mastiff and its tendency to pin aggressors and allow you to deal with as you need to).

I can also see the utility in something like a Bernese Mountain Dog during colder weather and also for help carrying things and guard duty.

Top Bottom