• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bear2782

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    I have a question that I have asked many people and get many different answers if you conceal carry and you get pulled over do you let the officer know right away or wait until he asks you ?

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    from my understanding-

No law says that you must inform the officer of your weapon.
    however if you're in the officers shoes you would probably want to be informed.
    I have been pulled over a few times, and depends what for I will just hand him/her my pink slip as well as my drivers license.

I was once pulled over on my bike and I was OC and the officer just told me to keep my paws away from it and we'll be fine. (kinda hard to hide that one)

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    Since you say opinion keep your mouth shut.
    If your asking about the law there is no duty to inform.
    If the cop asks if there are any weapons in the car, "nothing illegal"

Bear2782

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    Thank you guys I think I would stick to my original plan and just inform him I was just told by some that it is a waste of mine and the officers time by letting them know and Indiana laws are very vege on proper procedure.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    In Indiana, if you don't think the officer would see it during the course of your interaction then there is absolutely no need or reason to tell him unless he specifically asks.

The main thing to remember and be confident in is that, if you have your LTCH, you are perfectly legal having that firearm. It does not matter what the officer's opinion might be. If the officer gets all weird about the presence of a firearm, that is his problem, not yours. Whatever you say or do, be respectful.

Be sure you know and obey the laws for whatever state you are in.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Indiana law is not vague on this topic - there is no requirement to inform.

There is no requirement to inform even if asked.

You may waive any or all of your rights and inform or answer or consent to most anything, but there is no requirement to do so in Indiana.

Just trying to make it plain for the next dozen readers who want to know. ;)

Jordan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Camby/Moorseville
    My father is a LEO and told me a long time ago to declare to avoid issues. However we have lived in many different states. I know Indiana does not require you to declare. I am not sure what I would do because I have not been stopped while carrying yet.

I figure for most stops though it should not ever really be an issue unless they specifically ask if you have any weapons or you end up being asked to exit the vehicle. I would think if you are holstered up it would be very wise to declare if you were being asked to exit the vehicle.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    My father is a LEO and told me a long time ago to declare to avoid issues. However we have lived in many different states. I know Indiana does not require you to declare. I am not sure what I would do because I have not been stopped while carrying yet.

I figure for most stops though it should not ever really be an issue unless they specifically ask if you have any weapons or you end up being asked to exit the vehicle. I would think if you are holstered up it would be very wise to declare if you were being asked to exit the vehicle.

I get the feeling, though I've never been stopped, that informing would actually cause issues. If the LEO doesn't see it, and you are a law abiding citizen, then there won't be an issue. If the LEO becomes aware of the firearm, it seems to me that in most cases they want to disarm. Again, never been stopped, so I'm just assuming, and you know what that does :):

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I get the feeling, though I've never been stopped, that informing would actually cause issues. If the LEO doesn't see it, and you are a law abiding citizen, then there won't be an issue. If the LEO becomes aware of the firearm, it seems to me that in most cases they want to disarm. Again, never been stopped, so I'm just assuming, and you know what that does :):

There has only been one time that I wasn't disarmed during a traffic stop. All the others I was disarmed at gun point and my weapon cleared and magazine empty. The last time this happened I stood in the street and reloaded my magazine and chambered a round before getting back into my vehicle. After that I stopped informing the officer. Out of the five or six times this has happened I never received a citation. I guess that was there way of saying thanks for wasting there time and mine.

SHCdvldg

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Waukesha
    Just to add to what everyone is saying, I'll throw in my personal experience. I was pulled over here in town a few months ago and as the officer approached my car I had my required paperwork (DL, registration, POI) ready as well as my LTCH tucked in behind my Driver's license. This was my very first time being pulled over while carry and I was really nervous. The officer was nice enough and didn't give me a hard time about speeding, he had to make the stop. He noticed my LTCH before he walked back to his car to run the usual checks or whatever and stopped back to ask me if I was currently armed. I said yes, he said ok just keep your hands on the wheel and don't go near it. Nothing else was said about it the rest of the encounter and I was let off without even an official warning, just a verbal.

Last edited:

bw8755

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    South Bend
    Police know you have LTCH when they run your info. Every LEO that I've had is discussion with says that while you aren't required to, they recommend you state you are legally carrying from the outset when approached and ask how they want to handle it. They've said that every professional LEO should give instructions along the lines of keeping hands away and no sudden movements, but there should be no need or right to disarm. If asked to disarm, request a supervisor to be present. At night, turn dome light on and keep hands on wheel. The general thought process is that the good guys are the ones with the pink slip a d volunteer that info, whereas criminals don't go around advertising their crime.

One such discussion it was stated that you should inform the officer requiring to disarm you that you want a receipt for the gun right then and that you will pick the gun up at the court in front of a judge. He said something about an officer having to file paperwork and explain to a judge why he disarmed a law abiding civilian. In other words, this should make most cops think twice about over-stepping with disarmament unnecessarily.

Someone also said that, if it were him, he would sell any gun in which it was confiscated or "checked to see if the s/n was reported stolen" as once he does, there's now a record of the gun (ie. registration). Of course he also stated he would never report a lost or stolen gun for that reason as well, so.....

My personal experience is in the few encounters I've had I've never once been disarmed and the initial tense demeanor upon approach is eased once I've handed the pink slip and told what/where the gun is. They just hand the card back and proceed with the drivers license stuff. Oh, and no tickets. I truly believe that this little bit of courtesy shown to the LEOs that have a tough job with the unknown factor during a traffic stop is appreciated and may be reflected in the issuance, or lack thereof, of a ticket or warning.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I used to be a fan of telling them up front. Makes them feel good that you are being honest and forthright with all info, blah blah blah. Until my now sister in law go pulled over for going too fast, no biggie. She politely informed the officer that she was licensed and had it in the car with her. She then was asked to step out of the vehicle for safety reasons. about 20-30 minutes later, she was able to get back in her car and left with her speeding ticket. Had she not said anything about the gun, she'd have had her ticket in 5 minutes and been on her way. This was a few years ago, but i definitely am on the side of "its not their problem, dont tell them"

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    This is why I won't tell them unless the law requires me to.

[ame]http://youtu.be/kassP7zI0qc[/ame]

drysdaleg

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Anytime ive been pulled over, i inform them where it is and that i have my license to carry. Not once have they pulled me out of the car or anything bad. I had a state trooper pull me over and he told me to keep mine where it is and he will do the same. Maybe im lucky? Idk

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Anyone know what happened with this guy?

Yes, he was fired, then claimed PTSD because someone bit his finger years before, which set him up for a medical claim. Eventually, an arbitrator forced the PD to offer him his job back. The reasoning was that the Canton PD hadn't fired any other officers for similar offenses, and so this one was unjustified. Basically telling the PD that since they never cleaned house before, they can't start now.

As far as I know, his complicit partner didn't even get a slap on the wrist.

Top Bottom