• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Do you have a link to that law? It has not been my experience.

I bought a house last year and wrote several six-figure personal checks to pay for it. No problems whatsoever. Also when I paid off my previous house several years ago, I wrote a personal check for slightly more than the balance (so I would eventually get a refund of a few dollars and therefore skip all the mortgage company's "closing the account" fees. It worked.) I've never done a wire transfer or paid anyone fees to deal with my money. It's my money and there are free options available if you look hard enough.
    This explanation of why they wrote the law.

Good funds laws came into being after a mortgage bank firm named Abbey Financial Corp. abruptly declared bankruptcy under chapter 11 on April 1st, 1994, leaving approximately 600 customers with unfunded mortgages or double mortgages. Many of Abbey’s checks became dishonored resulting in several attorneys having shortfalls in their trust accounts.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Really? Guys here will not accept a check for a gun sale and your saying you bought real estate and gave six figure personal checks? Just don’t see how in light of the law. Can you share more details? Was the closing with an attorney or title company?

The law does not apply to paying off a loan.
    Why wouldnt the closing just be delayed until the check clears? Maybe I'm just thinking too simply? e.g. the paperwork is signed/check handed over 6/1 and actual closing happens 6/14.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    That was my point...and the way politics works.

People propose thing, other people push back. In this case, the push back won.

...until you find out the hard way that "the proposal" turned into an IRS directive that stays under the radar until outed years later?

When the dems are the administration, you never know how fast and loose they might play, right? Unlike us, their concern for accountability is practically nil.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Really? Guys here will not accept a check for a gun sale and your saying you bought real estate and gave six figure personal checks? Just don’t see how in light of the law. Can you share more details? Was the closing with an attorney or title company?

The law does not apply to paying off a loan.
    No attorney. No title company. Checks written straight to the custom home builder. (Separate six-figure check at each stage of completion.) And no wire transfer for the land either; I just registered the transfer with the county and paid their small county transfer fee via credit card.

And regarding guns, I just wrote a personal check for a $12,500 gun, and the private seller had no problem with that either. :)

I've done either personal checks or cash for almost everything big, and very rarely did any have a concern with it. If someone won't take a personal check, I pay cash (which can sometimes annoy people when it's > $10k, but oh well that was their decision to not take a check.)

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    No attorney. No title company. Checks written straight to the custom home builder. (Separate six-figure check at each stage of completion.) And no wire transfer for the land either; I just registered the transfer with the county and paid their small county transfer fee via credit card.
    Custom builders can accept whatever they want. not subject to the law. You bought land and have no title insurance? (You can as long as you do not have a mortgage.) I hope you at least had an attorney search the title? You have to had a deed to register with the county that you were the owner? Was the land a family transfer? Just trying to figure out what you did. But it doesn’t sound like a typical transaction.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

And regarding guns, I just wrote a personal check for a $12,500 gun, and the private seller had no problem with that either. :)

I've done either personal checks or cash for almost everything, and very rarely did any have a concern with it. If someone won't take a personal check, I pay cash (which can sometimes annoy people when it's > $10k, but oh well that was their decision to not take a check.)
    Just as long as you're not "that guy" writing a check in the grocery checkout line, I'm cool with it... :):

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Custom builders can accept whatever they want. not subject to the law. You bought land and have no title insurance? (You can as long as you do not have a mortgage.) I hope you at least had an attorney search the title? You have to had a deed to register with the county that you were the owner? Was the land a family transfer? Just trying to figure out what you did. But it doesn’t sound like a typical transaction.

No need to search for the title as I know all the past owners of this land since 1920. (Well, one of them died before I was born, but I knew who he was.) Yes, it was family. I just did the transfer w/ the county, which was really easy. So maybe atypical, but just showing that wire transfer is not always required for home or land purchase. :)

And my builder was fine w/ personal checks.

Last edited:

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Just as long as you're not "that guy" writing a check in the grocery checkout line, I'm cool with it... :):
    Fair enough. Actually I use credit cards for everything I can (love that 2% cash back.) For large purchases, most places usually will not take credit cards. But I did get to buy a tractor on a credit card w/ no additional fee, so that was a nice "cash back"...

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Fair enough. Actually I use credit cards for everything I can (love that 2% cash back.) For large purchases, most places usually will not take credit cards. But I did get to buy a tractor on a credit card w/ no additional fee, so that was a nice "cash back"...

Dear Bank,

Could you please log every single purchase I make?

Thank you.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    if they know everything, then why do I have to file a tax return?
    The tax preparation industry lobby actually perpetuates the byzantine tax code in order to preserve it's business model. Flat tax or national sales tax would be so much simpler, virtually foolproof, and more fair regardless of income but then millions of tax preparers and IRS auditors would be unemployed and I don't see much in the way of lateral career opportunities for either.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That is a very good question. They certainly immediately send a bill if you under pay or miss income. If they know, why don’t they just send a bill? Then you can send your deductions if you have any?
    My post was purple, but the answer is the IRS has been specifically barred from sending you a "pre-filled in 1040". For most people they could just be signing and sending.

But no, there's politicians and lobbyist, so I get another year of a mountain of 1040's to fill in.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    My post was purple, but the answer is the IRS has been specifically barred from sending you a "pre-filled in 1040". For most people they could just be signing and sending.

But no, there's politicians and lobbyist, so I get another year of a mountain of 1040's to fill in.
    It doesn’t show purple on my screen. Hmm, wonder what other purple posts I miss?

Got to keep the money flowing…

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Well, if you buy a house you will. It is law in Indiana that all funds to close on a house over $10,000 be wired.
    It is called the “Good funds” law.

Indiana has one of the more stringent good funds law which has been in place since July 1, 2009, and has been amended since. It states:

Indiana (I.C. 27-7-3.7-et al.): Applies to Residential and Commercial Transactions
    Acceptable Good Funds when $10,000 or more: wired funds that are unconditionally held by and irrevocably credited to the escrow account of the closing agent

Several people sold their property but the checks were bad and it created a mess, you certainly want real funds at closing on your property, wouldn’t you? That is what this law does, requires irrevocable funds…

This explains more. https://metropolitantitle.com/2019/07/11/the-ins-and-outs-of-the-good-funds-law/
    Either that site you linked is going by old law, or they are simply wrong. You can pay by cash or personal check if the check is deposited in the escrow account at least 14 days prior to the closing. See (1) and (9)
    IC 27-7-3.7-4"Good funds"
    sec. 4. As used in this chapter, "good funds" means funds in any of the following forms:
    (1) United States currency.
    (2) Wired funds unconditionally held by and irrevocably credited to the escrow account of the closing agent.
    (3) Certified or cashier's checks that are drawn on an existing account at a:
    (A) bank;
    (B) savings and loan association;
    (C) credit union; or
    (D) savings bank;
    chartered under the laws of a state or the United States.
    (4) A check drawn on the trust account of a real estate broker licensed under IC 25-34.1, if the closing agent has reasonable and prudent grounds to believe that sufficient funds will be available for withdrawal from the account on which the check is drawn at the time of disbursement of funds from the closing agent's escrow account.
    (5) A personal check not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500) per closing.
    (6) A check issued by the state, the United States, or a political subdivision of the state or the United States.
    (7) A check drawn on the escrow account of another closing agent, if the closing agent in the escrow transaction has reasonable and prudent grounds to believe that sufficient funds will be available for withdrawal from the account upon which the check is drawn at the time of disbursement of funds from the escrow account of the closing agent in the escrow transaction.
    (8) A check issued by a farm credit service authorized under the Farm Credit Act of 1971 (12 U.S.C. 2001 et seq.).
    (9) A check that is deposited and held in the escrow account of the closing agent for at least fourteen (14) days before the date of closing.
    Do you have a link to that law? It has not been my experience.

I bought a house last year and wrote several six-figure personal checks to pay for it. No problems whatsoever. Also when I paid off my previous house several years ago, I wrote a personal check for slightly more than the balance (so I would eventually get a refund of a few dollars and therefore skip all the mortgage company's "closing the account" fees. It worked.) I've never done a wire transfer or paid anyone fees to deal with my money. It's my money and there are free options available if you look hard enough.
    See above for the current IC or the link below.

Top Bottom