• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Years ago at 5/3 I went to cash a 2000 dollar check, from the company I worked for, the same company that direct deposited my check every two weeks. Guy was loud, pulled me aside and asked 20 questions in front of everyone. I was like 20 and was just confused. Finally left them a few years ago. I could make a list of the ways they screwed me. I just assumed all banks were like that
    I had a buddy that had worked hard, lived cheaply, and saved his pennies. He got the same third degree when he tried to get a cashier's check to buy a car. They came right out and said he must be a drug dealer to have that kind of money at so young an age.

Most people cannot comprehend that it is possible to live by different rules than the average debt saddled person.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I had a buddy that had worked hard, lived cheaply, and saved his pennies. He got the same third degree when he tried to get a cashier's check to buy a car. They came right out and said he must be a drug dealer to have that kind of money at so young an age.

Most people cannot comprehend that it is possible to live by different rules than the average debt saddled person.
    Last sentence, very, very true.

The first time I bought a car with cash I was questioned so many different ways about why I didn't need financing I ended up saying that I received an inheritance from a grandparent to fund the purchase. No questions asked after that.

So the approach is not to convince someone you worked hard and saved diligently, claim it is a windfall and you can't wait to blow it! Everyone seems to understand that.

TMYK.JPG

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Another vote for protecting the customer from fraud. They're softly asking to guard against wire fraud scams. Its what they do now. I wouldnt worry about it.
    This is...probably the real explanation. Trying to stop Granny from emptying the retirement account and sending it to her internet lover in Russia or whatever.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Another vote for protecting the customer from fraud. They're softly asking to guard against wire fraud scams. Its what they do now. I wouldnt worry about it.
    They may be doing this as well, but I get the feeling it's more like the real reason is the government wants to be able to tax everything, and keep an eye out for expenditures like weapons buys through private sales. Probably their idea of a "common sense background check".

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I'd guess it's the bank requiring it. Otherwise, that teller is incredibly unprofessional. But you're not wrong - the government does want to monitor everything we do.

I've made a few cash withdrawals for purchases like that, and I've never been asked.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    They may be doing this as well, but I get the feeling it's more like the real reason is the government wants to be able to tax everything, and keep an eye out for expenditures like weapons buys through private sales. Probably their idea of a "common sense background check".
    Its both. When its a casual "whatcha doin with that?" question, its likely the fraud prevention. When they whip out the form, THEN its the .gov tracking.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    The program, as onerous as it may be, is a systemic process to catch contractors, small business, and criminal cheating on taxes. It intends to flag things like total amount flowing through an account, foreign transactions and repeat transaction. From what I've read it's done with software that triggers a report from the bank to the feds. Training hundreds of thousands of bank tellers nationally to know when and what to ask would be difficult at best and processing manual information at that scale would be a massive problem.

Find a bank teller you interact with socially or is friend-of-a-friend and ask them if that's what they're trained to do.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The program, as onerous as it may be, is a systemic process to catch contractors, small business, and criminal cheating on taxes. It intends to flag things like total amount flowing through an account, foreign transactions and repeat transaction. From what I've read it's done with software that triggers a report from the bank to the feds. Training hundreds of thousands of bank tellers nationally to know when and what to ask would be difficult at best and processing manual information at that scale would be a massive problem.

Find a bank teller you interact with socially or is friend-of-a-friend and ask them if that's what they're trained to do.
    I often stand in line at the service counter of the grocery. It is really common for two or three people who cannot speak english in the line to be wiring money to Mexico. $800 to $1500 at a time, even if they have to make 3 transactions to make it happen. I wonder what ol' joe's IRS thugs think about that?

Top Bottom