• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Remember when there was all these reports coming out about the federal government monitoring personal banking? I think the amount in question was $600. If you spent over that much on a single purchase, or deposited/withdrew above that magic amount, some red flag would attract attention to your account. Well, today I'm pretty damn sure I was dinged on that. (as if I'm not on enough watch lists already)

We got our tax refund the other day. The decision was made to get some new garage doors. We have been needing them for a long time. In fact only one will even go up, as the other is about ready to fall off. However, neither one of us are very good at saving money. It's too easy to order stuff for the kids online, or in my case, parts for the Jeep build. We decided to withdraw the cash, and stash it until we find someone to install new garage doors. Same way we saved for a new roof a couple years ago.

So I go to the bank, and withdraw our tax refund. Noisy bank lady (who's NEVER been noisy before) asks me if I'm planning to make a purchase with this, AND what that is. I was so caught off guard I just answered, but the longer I thought about it, the more angry I got, and wished I would have told her "none of your damn business".

I'm 99.9% sure this was not casual conversation. This was something the bank had directed her to ask customers.

We are being watched...

Maybe I should have said "I wanna buy a big honkin' sniper rifle."

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Remember when there was all these reports coming out about the federal government monitoring personal banking? I think the amount in question was $600. If you spent over that much on a single purchase, or deposited/withdrew above that magic amount, some red flag would attract attention to your account. Well, today I'm pretty damn sure I was dinged on that. (as if I'm not on enough watch lists already)

We got our tax refund the other day. The decision was made to get some new garage doors. We have been needing them for a long time. In fact only one will even go up, as the other is about ready to fall off. However, neither one of us are very good at saving money. It's too easy to order stuff for the kids online, or in my case, parts for the Jeep build. We decided to withdraw the cash, and stash it until we find someone to install new garage doors. Same way we saved for a new roof a couple years ago.

So I go to the bank, and withdraw our tax refund. Noisy bank lady (who's NEVER been noisy before) asks me if I'm planning to make a purchase with this, AND what that is. I was so caught off guard I just answered, but the longer I thought about it, the more angry I got, and wished I would have told her "none of your damn business".

I'm 99.9% sure this was not casual conversation. This was something the bank had directed her to ask customers.

We are being watched...

Wow I'd have promptly said it isn't your business and ask to see the branch manager.
    I doubt this will happen around here. If it does I'll be finding a bank that keeps to their own business.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Agreed that she shouldn't have asked. None of her business. But I seriously doubt there was some nefariousness behind it.

The $600 thing wasn't designed to trigger an alert if a deposit or withdrawal was over $600. If was written to give .gov the power to monitor any account with more than $600 in it. Which is even worse in my opinion. Anyway, that proposal was scrapped and never went anywhere.

And I just have to be "that guy." Why are you getting big tax refunds? That's just an interest free loan to the government. Keep that money in your pay check. Don't let them get their greedy paws on it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    All banks have been doing this for some time.
    Partly to make sure you are not sending it to your Nigerian prince.

Ask for $15K, cash and watch their eyes light up.

Probably this
    I had to deal with that and sending money.
    The place was trying to "protect" me from fraud.
    Ummm, I talked to the girl (that I knew) on video. I knew it was her, not some "scam".
    Now, maybe she was saying she was getting her car fixed, and maybe she really was using it for drugs.
    But it was NOT a stranger.

And still they didn't let me send the money.
    :xmad:

Dante1983

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2021
    Had this happen to me at Fifth Third bank 4-5 years ago or so. She asked why such a large withdrawal and what I was planning to spend it on. Didn't come across as small talk. Came across as she was forced to ask those questions.
    I closed my account right then and there
    Years ago at 5/3 I went to cash a 2000 dollar check, from the company I worked for, the same company that direct deposited my check every two weeks. Guy was loud, pulled me aside and asked 20 questions in front of everyone. I was like 20 and was just confused. Finally left them a few years ago. I could make a list of the ways they screwed me. I just assumed all banks were like that

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

Probably this
    I had to deal with that and sending money.
    The place was trying to "protect" me from fraud.
    Ummm, I talked to the girl (that I knew) on video. I knew it was her, not some "scam".
    Now, maybe she was saying she was getting her car fixed, and maybe she really was using it for drugs.
    But it was NOT a stranger.

And still they didn't let me send the money.
    :xmad:
    They didn't let you send YOUR money? I would have closed the account at that moment.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville

We are being watched...

Should have just said , some hookers and blow for Hunter :laugh:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    They didn't let you send YOUR money? I would have closed the account at that moment.
    It was either Western Union, or the equivalent at Walmart.
    I had the money, they had actually taken it.
    Then had to count the money back, in friggin 20s.

Then I had to find a way to get the money to her, to get her car back.
    Or at least, that's what she told me.
    Like I said, it could have been a lie.
    But it wasn't like a scam where someone CLAIMS to be someone, or someone you know is in jail.
    It was on video on FaceBook video chat.
    And a person that I knew for decades.

wingrider1800

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Harrison County
    I was asked something similar a good while back and I said that I was gonna spend it. I wasn't sure if it was casual conversation or not. I figured it was bank procedure but wasn't sure.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Above 10K is a problem that requires the bank to fill out Federal Paper work under the RICO act.

Of course, when it became law in 1970, that was the price of TWO new Chevys and a vacation to take them on.

They need to up that 10K RICO limit to something more adjusted for inflation. Whenever I would take a pile of cash to the auction, it was always a hassle.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Above 10K is a problem that requires the bank to fill out Federal Paper work under the RICO act.

Of course, when it became law in 1970, that was the price of TWO new Chevys and a vacation to take them on.

They need to up that 10K RICO limit to something more adjusted for inflation. Whenever I would take a pile of cash to the auction, it was always a hassle.
    They just lowered it to $600

Top Bottom