• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I was telling my wife about the new law, and I referred to scooters as "liquor cycles", she had never heard that term before! Then, later last night, we were watching Moonshiners, and they were showing Jim Tom riding his scooter, he explained that he lost his license back in the early 60s, and then proceeded to call his scooter a "liquor cycle".:):

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I bought a nice Honda scooter years ago so I could have a cheap transportation alternative that costs me nothing to sit in the barn when I'm not using it. Its also just plain fun to take it out and enjoy riding it occasionally.

I agree that there are many scooter and bicycle riders that cause many problems and dangers on our roads. However, every one of those offenses being complained about are already illegal. The same concept many of us complain about as it applies to other freedoms also applies here. If current laws cannot be enforced, what good are more laws that are no more enforceable? Are we really stupid enough to think that simply passing a law is going to magically make this happen? This law will only succeed in creating a whole bunch of people that suddenly become lawbreakers even if they weren't already. I will be one of them.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I bought a nice Honda scooter years ago so I could have a cheap transportation alternative that costs me nothing to sit in the barn when I'm not using it. Its also just plain fun to take it out and enjoy riding it occasionally.

I agree that there are many scooter and bicycle riders that cause many problems and dangers on our roads. However, every one of those offenses being complained about are already illegal. The same concept many of us complain about as it applies to other freedoms also applies here. If current laws cannot be enforced, what good are more laws that are no more enforceable? Are we really stupid enough to think that simply passing a law is going to magically make this happen? This law will only succeed in creating a whole bunch of people that suddenly become lawbreakers even if they weren't already. I will be one of them.

License plates on our vehicles change us from just anyone to an identifiable/accountable individual. It would do the same with scooters and bicycles.

Shiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2014
    The dumpster
    License plates on our vehicles change us from just anyone to an identifiable/accountable individual. It would do the same with scooters and bicycles.

So little four year old Susie just learning how to ride her trike on the sidewalk is a threat and menace to drivers? So much so that she must pay a fine and get a license to bike and insurance and tags?

Com' on now!

Last edited:

Shiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2014
    The dumpster
    Scooters I understand. But Bicycles? I know a kid in his early 20's not a drinker, not a druggy. He works with me and rides his bike to work most days of the week with the exception of lately with the weather, then on the days we work together and I pick him up on the way. He is a good kid and a hard worker, that is a hard thing to find nowadays. He rides a bike because he can't afford plates or insurance. The kid doesn't even have his drivers license because he chose not to get it because he can't afford the expenses of owning a car. If you tell him he now has to get a license and plates and insurance to ride his bike to work what do you think will happen to him? He won't be able to get to work half the week and he will loose his job. Fair?

Oh one thing I forgot. He told me over the summer that he was pulled over twice. One cop told him to stay off the street and on the sidewalk, the next told him to stay off the sidewalk and on the street. Maybe before we go passing more laws (read acting like liberals, I mean more laws are always the answer right?), maybe we should learn the ones already on the books.

Last edited:

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Like has been stated, the laws already on the books need to be enforced, as much for bicyclists who don't know what a stop sign is, or the mopes on a scooter.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Maybe before we go passing more laws (read acting like liberals, I mean more laws are always the answer right?), maybe we should learn the ones already on the books.

I'm good with less laws (read abolishing vehicle registration.) Until then, let's just make them equal.

TiMMaY

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2014
    Martinsville
    This thread had nothing to to do with bicycles, it had to do with the fact that the state created an avenue for creating revenue, but failed to address the issue that a large percentage of people driving mopeds on public street do not have a drivers license or have had their drivers license taken away through their own fault.

Shiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2014
    The dumpster
    This thread had nothing to to do with bicycles, it had to do with the fact that the state created an avenue for creating revenue, but failed to address the issue that a large percentage of people driving mopeds on public street do not have a drivers license or have had their drivers license taken away through their own fault.

So your upset because the government found a way to make money from a problem but not really do anything to solve the problem?

:rofl:

Morgan County recently passed an ordinance allowing for golf carts and ATVs to be ridden on the streets as long as they are not on a main thoroughfare correct? So when all the pesky scooters are taken off the street all the drunks will be in golf carts and ATVs. There feel safer yet? Oh well then let us take some more of your money until you feel safe and when you feel safe let us know and we will keep taking your money anyway. Yours truly the .Gov.

Bicycles are the next logical step in regulation thus is the reason I would assume they were brought up. Drunk loses scootter gets bicycle , loses bicycle, discovers interesting loophole in county ordnance and gets an ATV or golf cart. Personally I'd rather have drunks on bicycles than ATVs but thats just me.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    What happened to all the 'we need less government interference!' INGO'ers typically complaining about the .gov sticking their nose in our collective business? :dunno:

Like lefty-loon liberals, guess it's 'okay' on this, since the law doesn't likely affect them. That, and the "if I have to do it (register), they should have to do it, too!" is just further libtard :crying:

This 'registration' law is simply a revenue generator for .gov, JUST like car / truck registration is.

With all possible respect, absolutely incorrect. License plates do not, and were never intended to produce "identifiable/accountable" individuals, and they absolutely do not.

IF that was even remotely true, why does the "identifiable/accountable individual" have to go to the BMV every year and shout 'Here's my money :spend: I still own the same car!'? Re-registering and 're-paying' would only be necessary when the vehicle was sold to a different owner. IF that was even remotely true, every person that possibly drove that vehicle would be required to be on the registration (spouse, son or daughter, neighbor, etc.).

Furthermore, even IF the car / truck is in 'your' name, it still doesn't 'prove' that you were the driver of the vehicle if an incident occurs. It only 'proves' that you're (perhaps) the current owner. And, it does NOT provide an 'aid to track down the rightful owner' if the car is stolen / abandoned / whatever. That's accomplished through the VIN, as the plates on the car may or may not belong to the actual vehicle (in the case of theft, etc.). The same will be true with the mopeds.

While there is, admittedly, some 'benefit' for the squad or civilian behind to identify a specific vehicle, the sole purpose of registration (cars / trucks OR mopeds) is simply to tax folks while not calling it a tax. Oh, and THEN there's an 'excise tax' piled on top of that!

Oh - And IF such registrations to 'identify' and 'hold accountable individuals' are all that great and 'needed', WHY are INGOers soooo against gun registration, eh? Same thing, right? Same 'justification', right? Gun registration is likewise good and all us INGOers are in complete support of that, right? :ugh: :facepalm: :n00b: :laugh:

Registering these moped will have no discernible, positive benefit to anyone, except as yet another 'tax that isn't a tax' on the citizenry. Firmly and staunchly against it, regardless if 'I have to do it' with my car / truck / motorcycle / boat / trailer / motorhome.

I WOULD, however, be fully in favor of requiring every member of known outlaw bike gangs being required to ride a moped of 50cc or less (pink would be a good color choice), and ALL their other vehicles being confiscated! :lmfao:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    What happened to all the 'we need less government interference!' INGO'ers typically complaining about the .gov sticking their nose in our collective business? :dunno:

Like lefty-loon liberals, guess it's 'okay' on this, since the law doesn't likely affect them. That, and the "if I have to do it (register), they should have to do it, too!" is just further libtard :crying:

This 'registration' law is simply a revenue generator for .gov, JUST like car / truck registration is.

With all possible respect, absolutely incorrect. License plates do not, and were never intended to produce "identifiable/accountable" individuals, and they absolutely do not.

IF that was even remotely true, why does the "identifiable/accountable individual" have to go to the BMV every year and shout 'Here's my money :spend: I still own the same car!'? Re-registering and 're-paying' would only be necessary when the vehicle was sold to a different owner. IF that was even remotely true, every person that possibly drove that vehicle would be required to be on the registration (spouse, son or daughter, neighbor, etc.).

Furthermore, even IF the car / truck is in 'your' name, it still doesn't 'prove' that you were the driver of the vehicle if an incident occurs. It only 'proves' that you're (perhaps) the current owner. And, it does NOT provide an 'aid to track down the rightful owner' if the car is stolen / abandoned / whatever. That's accomplished through the VIN, as the plates on the car may or may not belong to the actual vehicle (in the case of theft, etc.). The same will be true with the mopeds.

While there is, admittedly, some 'benefit' for the squad or civilian behind to identify a specific vehicle, the sole purpose of registration (cars / trucks OR mopeds) is simply to tax folks while not calling it a tax. Oh, and THEN there's an 'excise tax' piled on top of that!

Oh - And IF such registrations to 'identify' and 'hold accountable individuals' are all that great and 'needed', WHY are INGOers soooo against gun registration, eh? Same thing, right? Same 'justification', right? Gun registration is likewise good and all us INGOers are in complete support of that, right? :ugh: :facepalm: :n00b: :laugh:

Registering these moped will have no discernible, positive benefit to anyone, except as yet another 'tax that isn't a tax' on the citizenry. Firmly and staunchly against it, regardless if 'I have to do it' with my car / truck / motorcycle / boat / trailer / motorhome.

I WOULD, however, be fully in favor of requiring every member of known outlaw bike gangs being required to ride a moped of 50cc or less (pink would be a good color choice), and ALL their other vehicles being confiscated! :lmfao:

Again, I think the support is less about the purported reason for the registration than it is against going after a group of people they don't like.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Sounds like it's good we've got this started with all the name callers crying about it. We just need to keep pushing forward to hold these rolling road hazards accountable.
    In the mean time, continue caution around these speed bumps. ;)

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Heh, I wonder if we'll see an uptick in the number of DUI lawn mowers traveling about now?

There used to be an old drunk around here that rode a lawnmower everywhere, luckily he removed the deck first. I have also seen small/mid sized farm tractors used by the unlicensed. The worst is those damn mobility scooters. A pain inside stores is worse traveling down the middle of the road.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker

I don't see how. If they rarely if ever pull over a scooter or bicycle for violating traffic laws now, what makes you think they will pull one over for not having a plate?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't see how. If they rarely if ever pull over a scooter or bicycle for violating traffic laws now, what makes you think they will pull one over for not having a plate?

They won't pull it over. They'll go to the house of the registered user of the plate number picked up on the dash cam video. They will then ticket or arrest the offender. The same as if your vehicle was recorded driving erratically, breaking laws or endangering others.

Even more likely than the above scenario, these violations will be all but eliminated when these offenders realize that they will be held accountable via that required licence plate.

Edit - Sorry, I know, reading is fundamental...:rolleyes:

When it's public knowledge that plates are required, the cops will be overrun with calls (and cellular video) until all of the offenders are eventually caught and or learn they cannot readily escape. This is the exact same reason why any rolling vehicle needs a plate, or better yet, none of them do.

Last edited:

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    They won't pull it over. They'll go to the house of the registered user of the plate number picked up on the dash cam video. They will then ticket or arrest the offender. The same as if your vehicle was recorded driving erratically, breaking laws or endangering others.

Even more likely than the above scenario, these violations will be all but eliminated when these offenders realize that they will be held accountable via that required licence plate.

Edit - Sorry, I know, reading is fundamental...:rolleyes:

When it's public knowledge that plates are required, the cops will be overrun with calls until all of the offenders are eventually caught and or learn they cannot readily escape. This is the exact same reason why any rolling vehicle needs a plate, or better yet, none of them do.

Sorry, not trying to argue but I just don't see that happening very often if at all. Law enforcement barely has the resources to do their every day tasks. I seriously doubt much time is going to be allocated to pulling over scooters without plates or to catching them on camera to mail citations later. Eventually, one of us is going to be proven right. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Like I said, I may end up finding out first hand. My scooter will never have a plate on it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Sorry, not trying to argue but I just don't see that happening very often if at all. Law enforcement barely has the resources to do their every day tasks. I seriously doubt much time is going to be allocated to pulling over scooters without plates or to catching them on camera to mail citations later. Eventually, one of us is going to be proven right. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Like I said, I may end up finding out first hand. My scooter will never have a plate on it.

Good luck sir! It'll probably work for a little while...:dunno:
    Please report back when you've had some road time.

Top Bottom