• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    There's a good chance I'll be able to come up with just enough money to buy a smaller gun. I've been wanting a BUG, but also just something smaller. I have it narrowed down. I'm looking at a Ruger LCP and a .38. Not sure which one I want to go with. I like the ruger b/c it would be very easy to conceal. But ammo is expensive and hard to find. A .38 is easy to find, and it's not bad priced. So the .38 you could shoot it as much as you want at the range. I think the Ruger you wouldn't want to shoot it that much. So I'm not sure yet.

What's the largest gun you'll carry for backup?

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    For me it depends on how I'm going to carry, the biggest gun I can pocket carry is a P3AT, but I do carry a .38 as a second gun on my waist, either one is a great choice

Demo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    I'm definetly not a expert on BUGs but my personal rule is the BUG has got to fit in my front pocket. I don't ankle carry so that's that (for me).

Caliber revolves around that rule. Currently I'm carrying a Sig P238. It's thin, small, and light; however it is a .380ACP and you are right, it's not something you'll shoot every range outing.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I have no BUG experience, but since we are on the topic, does anyone have a picture of a J-Frame and an LCP (or P3AT) next to each other? Im curious about the size difference.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Occasionally I will carry my Super Red Hawk in a shoulder holster, under a winter coat, and I usually have my Taurus PT 745 in my front pocket, so that would mean my BUG is a 7 shot .45 acp.:D But normally, if I am carrying my .45 on my belt, or in my pocket, I sometimes carry a Phoenix arms .22 in my back pocket.

Demo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    To the OP- Plainfield Shooting Supplies has a few P238s in stock this week if you want to check one out. Sometimes they are hard to find.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    As soon as my 511 holster shirts get here I'll probably be carrying my Full size 1911 under 1 arm and 2 spare mags under the other.... they will be backing up my G22(15+1) with 1 spare 15 mag along the slide and another 15xMag in my belt clipped Multitool/flashlight holder (looks like a nextel cellphone holster) on my oposite hip.

hoosierfishing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    I don't find the Ruger LCP to be that uncomfortable to shoot. Especially after I replaced the recoil springs with Wolff springs. They make a difference. I got a LCP in my front pocket as I type. Getting ready to head to a family reunion and my wife doesn't even know I'm carrying. :D

trik396

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    NW Indiana
    New guy to all this but been carrying a PF-9. Don't even know it's there... 9mm is cheap ammo... when not that it's my SP101 which weighs about 3x's as much. Winter clothing will allow me to carry my XD45 Tactical.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    At one point in my life I carried a Taurus PT92, customized "slightly" for the work I did, backed up by an S&W M19-2 4", with a Phoenix Arms .22 pistol as a third gun (this was before small, affordable, quality .380 pieces were out).

If I were to do it again, it would be 1911 GM, bobtailed Commander sized pistol as backup, and a Ruger LCP for the in-your-face gun.

Josh

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    Really it depends on your definition and thus your true purpose. I have often carried 2 equal size guns (think pair of 1911s our pair of glock 19s) in this roll yes my weak side gun is a "back up" but may still be full size. Day to day I find a baby glock or a 38 lite snubby fills the roll well but am not above using a 32 as a bug if I have a solid prmary on my belt. Define your needs for that time/occasion and carry as much as you can. No one ever said after a violent encounter "oh I really wish I just brought the 25 today" many times more and bigger are better :)

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    IMO the LCP will be lots easier to conceal than the revolver. I have owned both and still have a snubnose .38 with CT grips.

I sold off my P3ats to buy a Kahr PM9. Love my Kahr and now it is my deep concealment/BUG. Personally it was a choice between small and smaller vs a more dependable caliber.

Buckaroo

Top Bottom