• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I would say that it is doomed to failure. Anyone sophisticated enough to find or use such a service is sophisticated enough to seek out knowledgeable people they know and get the answers they need. As Birds Away pointed out, this same advice is available here at no charge. With aggressive advertising, I could see it being workable to offer a 'clueless to proficiently armed' program in which they take in completely uninformed people who want to be armed and walk them through the process of selecting a gun, training, and walking them through the LTCH process in the format of one stop shopping, but I cannot see a simple consulting business working.

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    It seems like an odd thing to offer as the only service. I could see something like this working better if it were part of a training session. A basic introductory course that gave the student a chance to try a number of different firearms could include "expert" recommendations on what might work for a person. But to pay someone for their opinion after a chat on the phone...? I just don't see it.

Edit: IndyDave beat me to it. :)

LowerSW

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    Lower Southwest Indiana
    My first thought would be that this would not work. But then again when I think of all the stupid people out there who wants someone to tell them how to do everything I might have to revise my answer.
    If he had a very select group of sheeple then he might actually be able to make a go of it (as stupid as that sounds to the people here at INGO)
    Then again he would have to ask himself if he wanted to associate with stupid people anyway.
    As for me. No I wouldn't pay for it.

fisherman55

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2012
    Some guy who is a professed firearms expert is thinking about setting up a consulting business helping people with their first gun buy. He wants feedback from the firearms community as to whether or not this will fly...

You don't have to "log in" to comment on his site.

Would you recommend a firearms purchasing consultation to a friend or family member interested in purchasing a gun? « Bob Owens

The problem with a service like this is that there's no hands on with the people. Granted the information done right would be beneficial to anyone that does not have any knowledge of guns and gun ownership or immediate friends or family to help and instruct. A good gun shop owner will take the time to pass on his expertise based on the person interested in getting the gun.
    I was lucky, my wifes family were all gun people and I learned the basics from them. I also got to shoot many different guns to help make my decision if I wanted to do this and if so, what gun I preferred.
    The service has some merit, but the costs seem high to a regular shmoe like me. Guys that can't afford $100 will go out and buy the gun and do it themselves and probably be unhappy with the choice and then go and do it again.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    If I didn't pay for advice when I bought my first house or my first car, why would I pay for advice on a first gun purchase? It's a silly idea if you ask me, especially when I can get more free advice of same or better quality on INGO than I could ever read. :)

Of course, someone out there will throw their money at this. :laugh:

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I think it might be worth it if he gives you a chance to shoot a dozen or so handguns and then decide which one you like best. Otherwise, yeah, just read the forum...for free...

Top Bottom