• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jason conley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    WEST SIDE OF INDY
    I was practicing quick reloads with my 625. I had a moon clip with snap caps and a moon clip with ammo. I knew the gun was loaded but I swear my finger did not and it pulled the trigger, I guess from muscle memory. Gun went off hitting the light bulb in the lamp I was using for practice. The bullet then went threw my wall, another wall the shower, and then struck my gunsafe in garage.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Had just bought a new carry gun, Smith and wesson 637 airweight .38 snubby. A friend and I were planning on going out after work to hit the bars so I took clothes with me and planned on getting ready at his apartment. Right when I'm getting in the shower he says hey let me see that new gun you got, so I get it out and give it to him and hop in the shower. 3 minutes later BOOM! I come running out of the shower soaking and naked, he's sitting there like he saw a ghost and there's a piece of carpet torn up. I say get ready fast were leaving, 2 minutes later were out the door and everyone is in the common area and of course we play it off. Did you guys hear that? Haha. Passed first responders on the way out of the parking lot. Luckily he lived on the bottom floor and all the bullet did was chip some concrete and tear some carpet and carpet pad and bounce off a few walls.
    This guy was in no way new to guns so I figured he was inteligent enough. Come to find out he was pulling the hammer back, and guiding it back down with his thub as he pulled the trigger and it slipped off of his thumb.

Lesson: I now never give a gun to someone loaded, not even someone familiar with guns, and I check the chamber/cylinder at least 3 times after I think its unloaded.

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana
    5 years ago my dad was shooting caps out of his muzzleloader to sight it in for deer season. He said it had not been shot in 3 or 4 years. He must not have remembered it was loaded because on the 3rd cap. BOOOMright into the living room floor. He covered it up by moving his recliner about 2 feet to the left. My ears rang for days.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Not my story, and I wasn't at the range when it happened, but the first time I was ever at a range was when I was 14 and shooting AR-15s at a military range. We were all given the safety speech and told how to release a jam. Come to find out one of the adults in the group was the only person to have a jam out of about 50 or so shooters. He didn't remove the mag from the rifle before slapping the button on the side. Luckily the gun was pointed down range. Unfortunately, they were using regular folding tables (you know, fake wood tops, metal legs, fold 'em up stack 'em in the corner type) as the shooting tables. The next round in the magazine decides to discharge at the sudden jarring and puts a hole in the table.

He got teased the rest of the week for causing the only (furniture) casualty.

hip shot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    I was reloading some shotgun shells when a piece of shot rolled onto the primer punch.. It was a progressive press so as i raised the handel the shell and primer came down and the primer went off...... it was like a firecraker right in the face,,,,

indybrad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I was hunting on a preserve for phesant and quail. Had a bird flush and went to click the safety off and hit the trigger at the same time. As the gun went off it was still luckily pointing up, but scared the hell out of me.

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    I guess I was about 13 or 14, and A friend the same age, and my younger cousin (by about 2 years) were shooting out on my grandparents farm. I got the bright idea to load the 10 rd mag on my 10/22, then chamber one, and top off the mag. This was not the norm for me, and my friend and cousin split the 10 rd mag, then handed the rifle to me. None of us were expecting that 11th round, and I squeezed the trigger. Luckily, the muzzle was pointing in the direction we were shooting, and no one was hurt. Both of the guys with me knew it was a 10 rd mag, and I topped off, without telling anyone. We were all lucky, becaused we counted the rounds fired and assumed we were empty. I learned 2 things that day. Always keep your finger off the trigger, and be extremely careful at all times, especially whing doing something in procedure which is different than what your used to.

matthewdanger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    My wake up call came as a result of my complete and udder bone-headedness.

I was showing a friend a Ruger 10-22 with some trigger work that I recently completed. I dropped the mag and checked the chamber. It was clear. He tried the trigger and we talked about the 10-22 for a bit. My wife was in the kitchen making us dinner and asked for help with something so I put the mag back in as is my habit before I put the gun in the safe.

However, instead of putting the 10-22 in the safe, I leaned it against the hutch in the kitchen. I finished my honey-do list and scooped up the 10-22 so I could resume patting myself on the back and talking guns with my buddy.

I sat on the couch and pointed the 10-22 in the direction that I dry-fire in (into a corner with multiple layers of studs, sheet rock, and bricks). I worked the action so I could try the trigger just to verify that it was as awesome as I remembered, pulled the trigger, and BOOM! It was the loudest .22LR shot ever.

After I was confronted with the unbelievable level of my bone-headedness I quickly ran around outside to verify that the bullet never left the house (it didn't).

Thankfully, I was following Rule 4 (safe direction) even if I was not paying attention to the others. No one but my pride suffered any injuries. Even the ringing in my ears eventually went away.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina

Double duty on this post. The quote above is from a thread just under a year old now and it referenced a thread that was about a year older than it was! So right there you got links to two more threads about this very same thing!

ETA - I've been fortunate enough to not have an AD/ND... yet.

ETA2 - IGW Beat me to it, but I think mine is more elegant :p

b0r0b

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Hilarious one here, although it was not my gun accident, rather my fathers when I was about 5? I don't recall 100%, but I know enough to just die at the thought.

Born and raised in Brooklyn, NY, father was NYPD in 1992. Had what I recall to be a police issue .38 S&W, but I could very well be wrong. In any case, we lived in an apartment building in brooklyn on the 1st floor, it was like 11AM and my father was watching a movie, and apparently he tried to mimic whatever the character did in the movie with his LOADED handgun. He accidentally fired a round through the ceiling and had to go upstairs to the chinese people and say he was drilling and wanted to make sure he didn't go through their floor.

It didn't luckily, as that wouldn't have been funny at all, but the simple fact that an officer was imitating a character in a movie with his loaded pistol and fired a round at the ceiling is just beyond belief.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Not a funny accident...but still a accident....

My best friend and I had Springfield 1911's. We had just returned from the 1500 where we had just bought ammo and he had bought a new holster. He was adjusting the retension straps on it with it on his belt when the front sight snagged the retension strap. He felt it jerk in his hand and squeezed his fist to catch it...hitting the thumb safety and trigger simultaneously....firing two shots. (185 gr +P Cor-Bon JHP's) The first went completely through his leg midway up and exited by his knee. The second went through his leg...same entrance hole and never exited..lodging just behind his knee on the inside of his leg. The first round upon exit, had went through a couch cushion, bounced off the concrete floor and smacked the wood frame of the couch I was sitting on...felt like a sledge hammer hit it. He immediately grabbed his leg and dropped to the floor. I grabbed his .45 and unloaded it, while his sister called 911. We had to wait til a Sheriff showed up before the EMT's would enter the house. He missed the artery in his leg by less than a quarter inch....or else he would have bled out before the EMT's could help. He got to carry the lodged slug in his leg for over two years...before it was removed and he got to keep it.

ALWAYS UNLOAD YOUR FIREARMS WHEN FITTING/ADJUSTING HOLSTERS...

Accidents happen...but some can be avoided with a little forethought.

suby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Greenwood
    Shooting controlled pairs during a reflexive fire drill (M4). First shot of this particular pair causes my front sling mount to disengage from the rifle and somehow the sling ends up in front of my barrel. Second shot of the controlled pair...ya...:n00b:

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    good friend of mine.....

Checked his revolver and removed it from his pocket. Fired it against his pants through the floor board. Nice AD!

Missed his leg, his foot his shoe, the fuel tank, the catylitic converter and just left a hole in the floor boards.

It was a .357

I fixed and sealed the two holes in the truck.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I had a buddy once in the 70's that had a .41 magnum revolver. I swear I had just seen that cat unload that weapon. He pointed that hand cannon at the ground between my sister's foot and his own. When he pulled the trigger all of us jumped including him because of the report. There was a hole in the ground that just touched the edges of both their shoes. We scrambled before the cops got there. I use that as my "The gun is ALWAYS loaded story". I would've sworn that revolver was empty.

So you learned a valuable lesson cheap. Not every one is that quick a learner.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Back in or around 1988 maybe 89 I was in the Mojave desert shooting with my Dad (I was about 11 years old)
    ...yada yada yada... We had all of the guns and ammo in the ...yada yada yada...

Well, I pulled the trigger with one in the pipe. Sent a round right through the side of the Nissan.
    ...yada yada yada...

For the most part he didn't really flip out. ...yada yada yada...

we were away from the vehicle and someone drove by shooting at our water cooler (cool story lol). ...yada yada yada...

All you needed was a better editor and this true story is packed full of win!:yesway: Best story I've read about a Nissan lately.

Top Bottom