• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    When I was about 15, I shot a police officer in the face with a BB gun on accident. I received no curb stomping.

Technically, he wasn't a police officer yet. He was about 13. We weren't supposed to be shooting the BB guns "at" each other. We liberally construed that to mean that leg shots were ok. He zigged when I thought he was going to zag and the BB caught him on the left cheekbone.

I like to think that incident pushed him to have excellent trigger discipline. He's the best marksman I've ever seen in person.

Horsewing

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2014
    Terre Haute
    In May of this year I was searching for an escapee dog. Two THPD officers were parked in a lot near the area this dog had been recently spotted. I figured it couldn't hurt to ask if they'd seen him, so I parked in the lot and approached the cruisers to ask. Neither officer had seen the dog, but were incredibly helpful. They told me to call dispatch and report the dog, then dispatch would send out a notice to all the cars in the county. If any officers spotted the silly beast dispatch would call me. One of the officers I was speaking with wrote down the number for dispatch on the back of his business card and gave it to me. The interactions I had with the officers and with dispatch were very pleasant. No one I spoke with acted as though I was wasting their time or that a missing dog was beneath their pay grade. Thankfully, about 5 minutes after I completed my call to dispatch, I found the dog.

I was so pleased with everyone that I spoke to in the department during this, that I sent an email to the police chief requesting that these personnel (2 officers & 2 dispatchers) be recognized. It wasn't some big act of valor, but I was very aware that I could have been politely blown off. A 'we're sorry, we haven't seen him' could've been the sum of the whole interaction.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Many years ago. Two horny kids in a car. (I was one of them) Lets just say he could have made my life hell. Instead he gave us a short lecture and sent us on our way.

Been there, did that. I don't know about making my life hell, but the thought of facing my girl friend's father made me almost throw up. I was never more courteous to a police officer, and he let us go too.

Seriously, if given the choice, I would have picked getting shot in the leg over having to face that man under those circumstances.

Last edited:

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Ford van with wife and kids broke down in the rural eastern edge of Virginia just as a hurricane was making land on the coast. I managed to get the van under an overpass. It was hard to see past ten feet for the rain. This was a while back so cell phones were not common.

A state trooper pulled behind us to see what was wrong. He called his buddy who was a manager at a ford dealership to arrange a "special discount repair deal" for us, and then called a tow truck for us. He stayed with us to make sure we were safe until the tow arrived. He gave us the name of several motels in the area and his "star rating" for each so we could make a choice.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Many years ago. Two horny kids in a car. (I was one of them) Lets just say he could have made my life hell. Instead he gave us a short lecture and sent us on our way.

Same thing except we got invited over his home for cookies and cake with his wife. (very small town). We accepted.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I have several things I could add, but I will add this one because it involves guns.

A number of years ago I was at a friend's house shooting rifles when a police officer showed up. The friend had a large wooded area behind his house that went downhill into a gully. My friend had set up a shooting range in the woods. If you have ever seen a video by Hickock45 his setup was something like that. Some new neighbors had moved in and had called the police. Neighbor being a relative term as he lived out in the country. The new neighbor woman was frantic because her son played in the woods sometimes. The officer did an excellent job of calming the woman down and working out a solution whereby my friend would always call her before he did any shooting to make sure the boy was not playing in the woods. The officer recognized that my friend had done nothing wrong and didn't want to risk accidentally shooting anyone so no threats or accusations were ever made and a solution was calmly worked out. The officer also pointed out to the woman that she should have asked permission for her son to play in my friend's woods in the first place, kind of took the wind out of her sails. He was truly a Peace Officer.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Personally I have a lot more good interactions than bad. I think I've only ever had one bad one. The most positive was probably in Mississippi. Cop stopped us on the way back from a day trip to Memphis for doing 64 in a 55. Kid was really young, sleeping. The cop looked in the vehicle, asked if I noticed the speed limit changed. I know that stretch of road and I knew the speed limit changed somewhere around there but I thought it changed further on. And I and told him that it was my mistake. He said just to get the kid home safely and don't worry about it.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I do have another couple that came to mind...

Weird/neutral/turned out good.
    Again driving to Vincennes to see the g/f I had at the time, driving a big 4 door Olds Delta 88. I worked 4 ten hour days for my 40 hour work week, so would work my 10 on thursday, get off at 1:30 am, and head on down. Was again in that stretch of SR50 between Shoals and Logootee, or maybe a little closer to Washington and got pulled over, probably 3:30am or so. Officer asked for my paperwork, and walked back to his car without telling me why he stopped me... Comes back and shines his light around my car a minute and asks if I consent to having a drug dog search the car. Not knowing any better at the time and thinking refusal would give him probably cause, I told him to knock himself out. (never done illegal drugs in my life) About 15 minutes later the K9 shows up, walks around, sniffs, they ask me to roll my passenger window down, dog sticks his head in and sniffs, and that was that. Officer then informs me it was a slow night and they wanted to "give the dog some practice".
    Honestly I had been getting a bit drowsy and all of that woke me right up. So I guess it turned out good.

SR50 again, Washington, Chevette previously mentioned in first stories. (I think 60-70% of my LEO interaction happened on SR50 in the 9-10 months I dated that girl, probably my late/odd hours I was driving).
    Exhaust had been wired up with a coathanger, and about a mile or two before I got to Washington it let loose and I was dragging muffler and throwing sparks.. For whatever reason I had my whole toolbox and a floor jack with me, so I turned into the gas station there to crawl under and wire it back up. Hatch lock was broke, key was a screwdriver. I got out of the car with a large screwdriver and didn't even realize a cop had pulled in right behind me since he didn't have lights on. Yells at me to get back in the car. He comes up and asks if I know why he's "pulling me over more or less" I explain about the muffler. Asks if he can check the car real quick. Again, said ok, young and uneducated.
    45 minutes later he has gone through the ashtray, glovebox, backpack full of clothes, toolbox, under the floormats, and little pack/briefcase I had. Oops.
    In that briefcase bag, was a little cheapo kit switchblade I didn't even realize was there I'd bought and assembled when I was 14 or 15 (they used to sell them at a knife shop in Union Station in Indy)... Tossed it in and forgot about it. He found it!
    Told me he'd let me go about my business fixing my exhaust if he could stand there and watch me open the knife, set it against the curb, stomp on it real good a couple times until it was thoroughly broken (it was CHEAP), and throw it in the garbage.
    Yes sir!

Gotten some breaks I have.

Ironically enough the girl I was dating then went on to VU in the law enforcement or criminal justice program, ended up getting a degree (I think) in Loss Prevention or something like that and went to work for Lowe's corporate. Now happily married and living in Maine. Lol. She actually worked at the Lowes here in Columbus for over a year before I even realized it.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    A few months ago I was behind a semi-truck on Calumet avenue in Hammond. I couldn't see the upcoming traffic signal as soon as I normally would have because of the trailer. It was raining. When I saw the light it was turning yellow, I had enough time to stop if I would have hit the brakes hard, but I didn't want to brake hard in the rain and went through the light as it was turning red. I was pulled over, and figured if the officer had to get out of his car in the rain then I was getting a ticket for sure. We talked briefly, I told him that I saw the light late because of the truck, he agreed but said I still had enough time to stop. He asked if I was on the way to work, I said yes. Keep in mind that he's getting rained on during the entire conversation. Then he said, "I don't know why I am letting you go". I smiled and replied, "you're a good man". He said, "don't do that anymore, its not safe", and that was it. Nice guy.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    There's another one that's kinda funny. We had rented a van for traveling on vacation and while my wife was driving an Oklahoma state trooper pulled us over for speeding. He started fidgeting as he went through the spiel, talked increasingly faster, and started shifting his weight from one side to the other. And then he just stopped in mid sentence, handed my wife her DL and paperwork and said very quickly almost jumbled together as one word, I'll-give-you-a-verbal-warning-this-time-drive-safe. Ran back to his cruiser and left.

I told my wife I hope he makes it to the bathroom before he ****s his uniform.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    About 5 years ago I missed a court date and wound up getting arrested for failure to appear. Arresting officer was a real d..k and wanted nothing more than to make my life as hard as hell. Long story short, phones in my cell would not work and after asking several officers to use a phone, & getting told to basically f off, one officer snuck my cell phone to me so I could call my lawyer. Out of jail within the hour after sitting for 7 hours with no help from others. All the other cops basically treated me as a felon for failing to appear for a speeding ticket. Cant remember his name, older Lake Station, Indiana cop, but was a real positive after all the negative for 7 hours

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Brown-noser!

Nope. Not a holster sniffer, either. I know the man, and like most cops, his dedication to protecting and serving the public (no matter what SCOTUS or any lower court says about the presence or absence of that duty) is beyond question. I realize (at least I hope) you were teasing, but what you said deserves an answer.

I've had a few cop interactions as well, most of them good. I've found if you treat them with civility, politeness, manners, and respect, usually you get treated with civility, politeness, manners, and respect as well. Just like with most other people. Whodathunkit?

Hey.... y'all don't suppose that maybe cops are just like the rest of us, do you? You know... human? With hearts and brains and feelings and everything?

Blessings,
    Bill

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Nope. Not a holster sniffer, either. I know the man, and like most cops, his dedication to protecting and serving the public (no matter what SCOTUS or any lower court says about the presence or absence of that duty) is beyond question. I realize (at least I hope) you were teasing, but what you said deserves an answer.

I've had a few cop interactions as well, most of them good. I've found if you treat them with civility, politeness, manners, and respect, usually you get treated with civility, politeness, manners, and respect as well. Just like with most other people. Whodathunkit?

Hey.... y'all don't suppose that maybe cops are just like the rest of us, do you? You know... human? With hearts and brains and feelings and everything?

Blessings,
    Bill

Purple is a commodity--you know, kinda like .22LR--and I'm afraid I'll use it up and then be without.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Well since most of them are about getting out of tickets or tickets being marked down, I'll post another one of mine.....

I was pulled over for no seat belt and expired plates. The officer took my lic/reg and went back to his car. When he got out I knew I wasn't going to be legally driving away.... As he is getting out and walking up he is putting his baton in the holder, tugging on gloves, checking his pistol and no clipboard or other paperwork :nailbite:. So I shut of my car, put the keys on the dash and my hands on top of the steering wheel. He gets to my window and asks me to step out of my car and around to the back. As he's patting me down and handcuffing me he tells me there is a warrant for my arrest and did I know about it. I told him honestly, nope at least not until you stepped out of your car. He asked why is that, so I told him. He asked was it that obvious? And I told him yes. He said he would have to think about how to make it a less obvious. I suggested doing all the stuff in the car and maybe getting an extra clipboard that he could carry and drop. He said that might be a good idea.

To make a long story short, he ended up switching my handcuffs to the front so I would be more comfortable for the ride. Going out of his way by quite a bit to take me to the county that the warrant was out of rather than the one I was stopped in so I wouldn't have to wait a couple of days for transfer and could see the judge the next morning. And even stopped before we got there so I could have a cigarette.

All in all a good encounter all things considered. Oh he gave me a seat belt ticket but just a warning for the expired plates. I had been out of town for 2-3 months for work and just gotten back in town and was on my way to get it emission tested.

Top Bottom