• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    Felt like starting a new thread as a break from the *****ing and whining (regardless of how warranted some of it is).

So....what are your good experiences with leo?

I know of a leo that changed a tire for the Mrs. when she ran a flat one day in a rough part of town.

gravitas73

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    After graduating college had an 18 hour drive from my hometown to start my career and was 10 miles outside of Indy and desperate for the trip to finally end so I was going about 90. Got pulled over and when I told him why he let me go.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    My best interaction with an LEO was many years ago, I had a friend whose mom was, well, not the greatest. The LEO knew this, and every year for 4 years he bought my buddy his school clothes. I still talk to this now former LEO from time to time, last time I saw him, he was doing the same thing for another young kid. Good man.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Many years ago. Two horny kids in a car. (I was one of them) Lets just say he could have made my life hell. Instead he gave us a short lecture and sent us on our way.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Haven't had any interaction in a long time, but the two that stand out the most (and as far as I can remember all of my interaction has been positive or neutral)...

Was 16 or 17, driving back roads to drop my g/f off, she lived about 20 mins north of me... Was probably 9 at night. Passed a car going under the speed limit, and during the pass, my passing zone ran out. I sped up slightly and completed the pass in what I thought was a safe manner. *blinkie bubblegums pop on*, unmarked. Oops. Officer comes to the drivers side, wearing a Tshirt, but uniform pants, gunbelt, flashlight, and has his ID w/badge out clearly where I can see. Asks if I know why he pulled me over. I recognize the name, he's a town marshal from in between where I'm coming from and going to, and has kind of a reputation for being a dick. I said no because I didn't believe i was speeding and he mentions the passing zone running out, and I responded that I tried to safely complete the pass. He says he had to lightly tap his brakes to stay off me, I cut in a bit close. All is well. THEN the g/f opens her mouth... Starts loudly claiming "I don't think you can pull us over without a uniform on, etc. etc. ramble ramble" I turn and yell at her to shut up, he's speaking to me, not her, and I wasn't real nice about it. Damage was already done. He responds that since she wanted a uniform there he'd get one there, have a ticket written instead of a warning, which he would sign since he witnessed the infraction. 20 minutes later and he's true to his word, I get ticketed, drive on.
    Here's where it takes a turn if you're still with me... about 15 minutes after I arrive home (probably 10 at night) the house phone rings, I answer, and he identifies himself as the officer. Say's he's talked to his CO, and was left to his own discretion, and he's never done this before, but he said he can't in good conscience penalize me for her mouth, as I was polite and behaved myself and tried to get her to shut up. He gave me his address and instructed me to mail the ticket to him, it would get torn up, and go in his report as a warning. Did exactly that the next day and never heard another word. Kudos to him.

Funnier interaction... Was probably a few years later, I was maybe 19 or 20, had my first apartment and a beat up (on the outside) 82 Trans Am with a bad headlight motor, the flip-up kind. Just bopping from my parents to my place in town or the store was a 5 minute drive, so I rarely bothered to manually crank the one headlight up unless I was going out of town. Sure enough one night I got stopped. Bad window motor as well. Informed the officer my window wouldn't roll down, he has me crack the door, explians why he stopped me, I explained my reasoning to him... I then say "officer, could you do me a slight favor.... turn around and look at your squad car?" He had pulled out of a parking lot to stop me, with NO light on, no parking lights, DRLs, headlights, anything. Didn't even know anyone was behind me until the bubblegums came on. He chuckled and looked a little embarrassed. He took my license and registration, and came back in about 2 minutes flat. Says "Tell you what, you try to crank your bad light up more often, and I'll try to turn my lights on more often too, deal?"
    Yes Sir.

I did have another instance where I had a suspended license without knowing due to an address mix up and never being notified (which was the cause of the suspension in the first place, I didn't provide insurance proof that I didn't get a notice for), and my passenger was suspended as well, officer was nice enough to let me call my mom and sis and come out so my sis could drive my car home.

Talked my way out of a doozy of a speeding ticket once because I got lucky and didn't get on radar (I was going FAAAAAAST, beyond the limits of a 130mph speedo), and all of the times I've been ticketed I've rightly deserved it, and the officers I've dealt with have never been rude, even when I was a punk teenager.

Madjack181

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Rochester
    When I was stationed at Langley AFB, VA. I used to drive back here to Indiana about once a month to visit family. One Memorial Day weekend, I was late leaving Langley and the traffic around D.C. was terrible. I was on the highway between Morgantown WV. and Washington PA., it was late I was tired and the speed limit goes from 70 in WV. to 55 in PA. on a down hill slope. I got stopped by a Pennsylvania State Trooper for going 20+ over the speed limit. He saw the base sticker on my car and asked if I was in the military. When I said I was and was going home to see my family, he told me he was looking for drunk drivers and since I wasn't drinking he told me to be careful driving home. He still gave me a ticket but it was for disregarding a traffic sign which was significantly cheaper than the speeding ticket and no points off.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    to many to type to out. yes I have a lead foot, never try to talk my way out of tickets.

Last time I was pulled over it had been a bad morning, bus was late picking up the boy, as in never showed up, so I drove him and the other kids from the bus stop to school. I was hitting rock bottom in my depression and had not looked for help yet. Needless to say, those little things set me off in anger. I pulled out of the school and hit 42 before I was out of the school zone. Lead foot aside, I never speed in school zones. like I said, it was a day.
    I look up and see the red and blues, I pull over immediately and don't even try to play dumb. Don't remember the conversation but boiled down to "yes I was speeding, I know better, just dropped the boys off back there" He went back to his car and came back with a WARNING.
    I thanked him and told him it would never happen again. It hasn't.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I've been pulled over three times ever. The first, I got a warning when I should have gotten a ticket.
    The second, I got a ticket when I really shouldn't have been pulled over...so I figure those are a wash.

The last time was this past fall...a car sped around me in a 40 zone and a cop car did a 180 from the other direction... I figured he was chasing the guy who squealed tires to get around me. Nope. I was the offending perdiddle perp.
    Doogie Houser pulled me over because my headlight was out...kept apologizing for pulling me over, apologizing for taking so long, apologizing for having to tell me my light was out. More of a weird interaction than "good" or "funny".

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Here are a couple. First time I had been pulled over 16 and had my license for about 3-4 months. County deputy saw me drag racing, spinning tires and speeding..... Gets my license/registration goes back to his car, comes back to the window a few minutes later and says "Tim I ran your license and you don't have any tickets yet, so I'm going to let you off with a warning and a lecture......

Another on my way to work, driving down I-65 going what I think is 70ish in a 65 zone. Come up to a clump of cars and start wending my way though, half way I look over and there is a lightly marked ISP. He pulls me over and let's me know I was going 77 in a 65 and asked why I passed him. Told him I didn't see him. He asks me to come to his car while he ran my info because it was farther off the road. I do and he calls everything in and starts writing in his book. I come back with no warrants and he looks at me and says, I know it's just a few days to Christmas, I interrupted and said yeah but I know you're just doing your job. He looks at me and say's I was just getting ready to say Merry Christmas and here is your warning.

One more. I was heading home down 421 and wasn't paying attention, come into a small town without realizing it going about 60 in a 35. Saw the officer and realized I messed up. He pulled me over, ran my info and came back with a ticket. He told me he wasn't writing me up under the IN code but under the local ordinance and asked if I knew the difference, I told him no and he explained the difference. $20 and no points, vs well over that (can't remember the exact amount) and points.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Prior to becoming an LEO, I didn't have much interaction with police. I did roll my truck in Kansas, though, and KSP Trooper Scuggs responded. The rollover was due to a mechanical issue (broken axle on a trailer let an entire wheel assembly come off, brake and all, which dug into the pavement and like "snap the whip" popped loose and rolled me) but I wasn't sure at the time. Trp. Scuggs came to the hospital, told me his findings, and then stayed with me until my wife got there and it explained to her what happened.

Not much of a story, but I remember him staying and making small talk while I lay on the backboard waiting my turn for x-rays and what not. It was nice to not be left alone until my wife got there.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    My first car blew a gasket and died on 70, though thankfully I was able to pull over to the side and be out of traffic. Called for parents to come pick me up, and a few minutes after a cop pulls behind, lights up to help people see me, and offers to take me to the nearest gas station to wait for a pickup. Since my parents were close I declined, but it still impressed me that he would take the time to do so.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Going south in SR13 on the way back to Indy from lake Wawasee in Syracuse, IN with a couple friends in the car with me, one has a beer in hand. Came up on a couple cars going ~45 in 55 zone, a Conservation Officer closely following an old Grand Am for a few miles. I finally got some clear passing lane and went for it (I thought the CO was following the GA close for a reason). JUst as I was passing, the Grand AM decides to make a left turn and I couldn't see it's taillights since the CO was following so close until I made the pass, I caused the GA to abort his turn. I slow down for the next town coming up and notice the CO with lights on coming for me, I pull onto a side street. The CO comes to the window and asks for my documentation and asks who's been drinking, I replied "it's not me". He gives me a sobriety test which I sorta failed because I was wearing driving moccasins that give NO support for walking a straight line, then a BAC test (0.0). I told him I passed because I thought he was pulling the other car over and it was legal to pass at the time.

He was sure I was intoxicated, but I remained polite and honest the whole time and passed the BAC test. Finally he writes my buddy up for open container and let's me go without even a warning.

bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    TRUE STORY

2 years ago I was stopped doing 100+ on my M\C. As soon as I stop; helmet off, key out of the ignition, DL, registration and insurance out by the time the Sheriff deputy walks up. First question he asks, "What brand of bike and what modifications have you done?" The Sheriff deputy is a M\C fanatic. We talk for 10 minutes or so about different bikes we have owned and want. 5 minutes go by and he calls me over to his patrol car. He immediately becomes my new best friend when he hands me a warning!

I noticed the Remington 870 in his car and ask him about it. We then proceed to have a 5 to 10 minute conversation about Mossberg 590 vs. the Remington 870.

Finally he says "Slow down, ride safe." Okay I will!!!! If he had given me a ticket, I would still consider the encounter as one of the best I have ever had with a LEO.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    I was driving home late at night and VERY tired around 20 years ago. My parents house was 1.1 miles from the highway and I had noticed a cop tailing me the last 3-4 miles or so. Admittedly, I know I wasn't driving the best straight line the last mile or so and all I could do to stay awake. Sure enough, he turned after me on the country ride and lit me up. He asked if I had been drinking and I explained I was extremely tired and knew it didn't look good. He could tell I wasn't intoxicated without me even having to get out of the car. Showed him that my destination was just another mile down the road and he advised me to be safe. Nice guy though and I cannot blame him for suspicion of a DUI on my behalf.

Classic Liberal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    My neighbor across the street was a deputy sheriff and during the entire 16 months I lived there, he didn't once violate my rights.

He was actually quite friendly and liked to talk about guns and stuff.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Been pulled over many times and ticketed most of those times.
    Warning from a State - very nice... I was going to fast for his likings in the conditions of the road but he admitted I was going slow enough to easily keep control and be ok. He said he would of liked me going 30 instead of 35... This was on I70 about 10 years ago during a snow storm.
    Still not sure why I was pulled over for it, but he was nice and just a verbal warning if you can even call it that.

Pulled over for not making a required right turn. Officer was nice, I still think I should not have been ticketed since I wasn't in the solid white lines of a turn lane... I've been told I was in the wrong so I guess I will take their word for it.

Pulled over for... well I will say I deserved a couple of tickets. Instead the officer yelled at me for about 10 minutes, gave me my license and registration back and said to leave. Yes I consider that a good experience.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    1989, I was working with a biology research group in orange groves at NASA, on Merritt Island FL. One day, going back to my apartment, I passed a slow driver in a no-passing zone. I got pulled over by a Brevard Co. Deputy Sherriff. He told me why he pulled me over and asked me for my drivers license, vehicle registration, and proof of insurance. I had none of those.

In order to do our work there, we all had to go through the NASA security clearance process, and while in the groves, NASA Security Officers would come out almost daily and check our clearance badges and picture IDs. Those guys were completely humorless and they carried some serious hardware (especially by 1989 standards), semi-auto pistols and several spare mags along with some kind of small black scary assault rifles in their cars. We even had a running contest to see if any of us could say something that would make one of those guys even crack a smile, but none of ever managed that.

So, now I'm stopped just off base and for various reasons, all I have to show the officer is my NASA badge and a Florida picture ID (and I'm bleeding from a gash on my forehead from a boogie board accident that I'd just had at the beach). I told the officer my story, feeling the entire time that I wouldn't believe it myself, and wondering how much the ticket was gonna cost me. But the officer made me a deal, he'd take me to one of the base security offices and make a call to make sure that I did have a valid Indiana DL (which I'd lost a few days before) and if I did, he wouldn't ticket me for not having a DL or for not having a vehicle registration or proof of insurance, since it was a company rental car, and I'd have to appear in court for that one. He took time out of his day to do that, and he even gave me a bandage out of his kit for my forehead. After some time sitting at the office, talking with him about his job and mine, everything checked out and he wrote me out a ticket for passing in a No-passing zone "Because you DID do THAT", he said. I just smiled as he handed me the ticket and thanked him. Officer Gary Player, a really cool guy.

Last edited:

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    In 2008 I had put some window tinting on my car windows. That was about 15%. It was dark. I was pulled over on East Michigan Street by an IMPD Ofc. because the tinting was too dark. The officer was very nice, polite, and respectful. He told me to peel it off, show up at traffic court with the vehicle to prove I took it off and he would get rid of the ticket. I did that and he did just what he said he'd do.

Top Bottom