• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Here are my favorites: (Used frequently) I don't have much experience with custom knives, so I'll stick with what I know.

CRKT M16-03Z: This is my daily carry folding knife. It goes everywhere with me, and gets packed only briefly for plane flights and such. I have never found a single spot of rust, and I really do abuse this knife. DOWNSIDE: if it has any downside, it is simply that the screws have a tendency to come loose when first purchased, but that is easily fixed with a little Lock-tite.

As for fixed blade knives, I swear by KA-BAR. I've got their WWII vintage style knife, and I love it. That is a knife I really have tested and used. It spent 6 days hiking through the Appalachian Mountains with me, through nearly non-stop rain, and not a spot of rust. I have also used it to kill several large alligators after I harpooned them, and that requires a VERY tough knife to sever the spinal column. Also, the KA-BAR website claims that you can hammer against the butt of the knife without damaging it, which is also very true.

My KA-BAR has Eph. 6:10-13 etched into the blade. That knife has been through lots, and I'll definitely stand by that one.:soapbox:

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    roscott- good review. I've had the same problem with all my lockbacks although the CRKT's seem to loosen up the most.
    All the KaBars I broke were post 1976 so I don't know if the steel was different or just. probably a better heat treat. Bottom line is they work for you.
    Bob

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Fixed blade: used to be Glock but I no longer use a fixed blade.
    Folder: Kershaw Ken Onion

3033.jpg

I carry it everywhere and no longer carry anything else. Kershaw or nothing for me. Ive been cutting boxes at work, gutting deer and using it to cut twigs in the field for 4 years now. Still cuts like the day it was new.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I picked up a little Kershaw Zing tonight at Wally-world.

I bought it mainly for skinning squirrels tonight, but that was my excuse because I didn't have an EDC, just my big Buck knife I use for deer.

I'll be looking at getting a RAT RC-4 at the Indy 1500.

Last edited:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I picked up a little Kershaw Zing tonight at Wally-world.

I bought it mainly for skinning squirrels tonight, but that was my excuse because I didn't have an EDC, just my big Buck knife I use for deer.

I'll be looking at getting a RAT RC-4 at the Indy 1500.

I still think you should go with the RC-5 S.E.R.E. it's better all around.

DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    Some of my go to knives are a large regular Sebenza and a Strider SMF for folders. These knives have worked well for me, and have been used and perform. I treat a folder like a folder no a fixed blade:D

I carried a CRK Mark IV 7" blade while in the service and the knife performed well except for chopping without gloves on. I have now moved on to Grayman fixed blades and they are not queeny at all, I took one with me to Africa last year and it performed like a champ.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    hahahahhaa!!!

"queeny".... thats classic! sounds like a knife you would buy off an overpriced fanboy site based in california with horrible customer service and inflated prices!!!

I heard it was cold steels newest freddie mercury edition foldet:D

DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    hahahahhaa!!!

"queeny".... thats classic! sounds like a knife you would buy off an overpriced fanboy site based in california with horrible customer service and inflated prices!!!

Hahaha:laugh: i should be a spokesman for Grayman. I beat the crap out of your knives, hit the edge with some quick stoning, and I am back in business. BTW Joe, I wish my wife got a pic of our guides' face when I pulled out the Mega to go postal on banana tree. It was priceless:rockwoot:

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Hahaha:laugh: i should be a spokesman for Grayman. I beat the crap out of your knives, hit the edge with some quick stoning, and I am back in business. BTW Joe, I wish my wife got a pic of our guides' face when I pulled out the Mega to go postal on banana tree. It was priceless:rockwoot:

whoot! did you tell him to close his mouth... i mean it damn Africa for goodness sakes! what did he think, you'd come there completely DEFENSELESS???

and just so EVERYONE is clear: i'm NOT Grayman! DBH knows this, its just grabbled in translation up there..... he gets all nervous when i get close to him... starts to sweat and hum tunes from "Miami Vice" and things......... :dunno:

Top Bottom