• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    Ok. I am not taking a position on OC/CC, I do both depending on where I am going and what I am wearing. But I see people say a lot that you shouldn't OC as "You'll be the first shot!"

Where does this argument come from? Does anyone have any proof or instances that have been published where a person OCing was shot first by a criminal? I am not an expert but when you see a robbery on the news that was caught on video at a gas station or business you never see the perp come in, take a stroll and inspect everyone. The majority of the time they storm in and straight to the cashier and demand the money. Just wondering if its actually ever happened or just a "theory".

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I think there were instances of people being shot during OC, but I don't think there were details if the victim was shot first. I do remember there was one recently on here of someone shot with their own gun. It doesn't appear to be in the news much though. The problem for the theory of OC preventing crime is the difficulty in documenting a prevented crime because the crime wasn't committed. No crime, no suspect, no arrest, so no opportunity to document the details.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I read online (could have been in one of my own posts)that in 85% of the shootings people who OC get shot first (people who wear kilts get shot second 50% of the time), people who CC can usually stop the criminals with their minds without even drawing their guns in 75% of the time.
    It's the internet, we dont need actual facts to say that OC will get you shot first.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I read online (could have been in one of my own posts)that in 85% of the shootings people who OC get shot first (people who wear kilts get shot second 50% of the time), people who CC can usually stop the criminals with their minds without even drawing their guns in 75% of the time.
    It's the internet, we dont need actual facts to say that OC will get you shot first.

bonjouro.jpg

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I believe a lot of it has come from the law enforcement community. They OC by the nature of their job and are inherently targeted simply for being LEO by thugs who already hate them simply because they wear a uniform. Therefore, this is sometimes a part of their training to be conscious of the fact they may be targeted and so to be aware. Due to that same reasoning it is not highly likely that you will be targeted first because you're not wearing a badge. Even so, wearing a gun does not mean you should sacrifice situational awareness BY ANY MEANS. You should be more alert. If you are practicing this while OC'ing you will try to avoid being in areas of rooms to be caught off guard and to see the entrance(s). Additionally, there really are no solid statistics to support the theory for citizens OC'ing being targeted. Perhaps a VERY rare story here or there, but it's negligable. People often quote law enforcement stats from being shot with their own gun, but not only are those cases few and far between they are again, wearing uniforms on duty and thus targeted by criminals.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    In a word?

Prove it.

We have interviews from convicted criminals stating that they are "more afraid of civilians with guns than police officers," but we DON'T have conclusive evidence or testimony of OC'ers being shot first.

I OC, so I guess you could say that I put my money where my mouth is.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    I OC 98% of the time, and to be honest I only get shot 4 times a week. It's no biggy, my biggest fear is those five year old girls... Thankfully schools in session, so I do most of my running around during school hours.

ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    I don't think it's unreasonable to think that someone OC'ing would be shot first. The OP talks about someone storming in but there are plenty of videos showing the bad guys scoping the place too to see what's inside. If I was looking to check a place out, I would be very much be aware of the person OC'ing. If I was that set on robbing that place, could I be thinking about disabling that person before anyone else?

HOWEVER, with all of that said, I would think that potential bad guys would be deterred most of the time rather than engage with someone that could be law enforcement. I think it goes back to the crime of opportunity. If I'm checking a place out and see someone OC'ing, I'm likely moving on to some other place.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    I OCed in a blue Corvette once.

You guessed it... I was pulled over and shot.

Several times. :(

I hate when that happens.

I was cruising down the road in my purple, with pink racing strips, Corvette OCing last year. And I slammed on the brakes because a ball flew in front of my car. After I stopped, 10 five year old little girls swarmed me like a swarm of angry hornets. One of them took my Sig P226 Stainless Elite .40 right from my Galco SideSnap right handed holster after the 9 other 5year old little girls dressed like ninjas pulled me from my car and held me down. Then each of them took turns shooting me.

I'll never drive a Corvette again, worst experience of my life, almost. I still have nightmares.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I OCed in a blue Corvette once.

You guessed it... I was pulled over and shot.

Several times. :(

Shot multiple times, or pulled over multiple times, or pulled over AND shot multiple times?

Your story confuses me. You should have CC'ed in a minivan; then you'd be invincible.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Where the hell do you find parts for that thing at?! :dunno:

Parts are all over the place. Usually rusted out in yards off of country roads.

But seriously I did see a Yugo a couple months ago driving down the street. And yes it was running under its own power.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom