You see an unsecured long gun, what do you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Coming out of the store today I saw the vehicle next to me with the front window down. In the back was a lot of camping gear in addition to a Bolt action long gun. No idea what it was.

What would you do if you saw an unsecured gun sitting in a car?

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    Personally, I wouldn't leave a rifle unsecure but if I saw one, I'd keep on walking. I don't find it shocking since it was common as a kid in PA to see rifles on a pickup window rack with the window down...sometimes in my school parking lot.

Times have changed!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I wouldn't do anything. :dunno:

Not my business what people leave in their cars.
    It's not like if I found an "unsecured" gun laying on the sidewalk.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Probably admire it.

Personally, I wouldn't leave a rifle unsecure but if I saw one, I'd keep on walking. I don't find it shocking since it was common as a kid in PA to see rifles on a pickup window rack with the window down...sometimes in my school parking lot.

Times have changed!

These,
    with the exception of EOD's post, it was in Indiana

fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield
    About 10 years ago I was going into a pop up fireworks store off of East Washington Street and got out and notice some sort of handgun sitting on a car amp in the passenger seat of a car next to me. The windows were down about a quarter of the way. Someone could have easily got in and taken it. Went into the store and I could quickly pinpoint the gangster wanna-be that it belonged to wearing his empty holster with his xxxxxxl shirt pulled up so you could see it. Made for a good chuckle.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Killeen, TX. 1993, McDonalds parking lot. National Guard Humvee parked outside, soldiers inside, eating. M16 A2 rifles left in Humvee. I didn't touch a thing, just drove off before I got any kind of blame should those weapons have turned up missing. (Never heard anything, guess they got lucky and didn't lose those weapons.)

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    So it wasn't a rifle in my story.... It was two small children. I was leaving the grocery store a few years back and noticed that a women drove up and parked in the fire lane... Getting out, she left a 6 and 5 year old in the car as she walked into the store. I waited 5 minutes and then walked up to the car and started a friendly conversation, nothing perverse, with the kids. Another 15 minutes went by and finally the mom came out. She gave me a rude look and the verbal beating ensued. I could not hold back my thoughts. Thoughts based in opinion and experience looking for missing kids. It takes less than two minutes to abduct a child. Most times I do not interject myself into others stupidity... That time I felt I had little choice.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    So it wasn't a rifle in my story.... It was two small children. I was leaving the grocery store a few years back and noticed that a women drove up and parked in the fire lane... Getting out, she left a 6 and 5 year old in the car as she walked into the store. I waited 5 minutes and then walked up to the car and started a friendly conversation, nothing perverse, with the kids. Another 15 minutes went by and finally the mom came out. She gave me a rude look and the verbal beating ensued. I could not hold back my thoughts. Thoughts based in opinion and experience looking for missing kids. It takes less than two minutes to abduct a child. Most times I do not interject myself into others stupidity... That time I felt I had little choice.

I've always wanted to know, is leaving a child in a car, alone, FELONY Child Endangerment ?????

Top Bottom