• ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    you are not an EDUCATOR. I am not primarily an OC activist, some will disagree, i just want to carry comfortably. However i will not back down from a heckler's Veto.

I do consider myself, secondarily, an educator. You must your subject thoroughly. You must have a firm grasp of IC and case law.

Educating at fuel pump
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-thread-part-2-a-post5807574.html#post5807574
    Stopped in Gary
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry-issues-self-defense/183683-told-i-had-inform.html
    Menards Gary
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry-issues-self-defense/305182-menards.html
    Luke gas station Scherrerville
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry-issues-self-defense/305185-luke-gas-station.html
    Mr. Fuel Gary
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...defense/307558-just-your-information-sir.html
    Pulled over in Highland
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...defense/381866-1-highland-police-officer.html

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Disagree. I would say "Don't open carry if you can't keep your cool."

I can't cite my threads right now since I'm on my phone, but I'll get them tonight hopefully.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    you are not an EDUCATOR. I am not primarily an OC activist, some will disagree, i just want to carry comfortably. However i will not back down from a heckler's Veto.

I do consider myself, secondarily, an educator. You must your subject thoroughly. You must have a firm grasp of IC and case law.

Educating at fuel pump
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-thread-part-2-a-post5807574.html#post5807574
    Stopped in Gary
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry-issues-self-defense/183683-told-i-had-inform.html
    Menards Gary
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry-issues-self-defense/305182-menards.html
    Luke gas station Scherrerville
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry-issues-self-defense/305185-luke-gas-station.html
    Mr. Fuel Gary
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...defense/307558-just-your-information-sir.html
    Pulled over in Highland
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...defense/381866-1-highland-police-officer.html

I hold myself to a similar standard. It's a personal choice that I believe makes me present a better image of gun owners and helps change the perception of our community as a whole.

When one decides to OC one should realize that they are more likely to be challenged and as such (imo) should be more prepared to meet that challenge. Knowledge is an important tool in our belt and one that I don't OC without.

Carry however you feel like carrying. Just know that the fight to keep our Rights isn't over and every person we can enlighten about gun owners and the law becomes one less person we have to fight against.

Disagree. I would say "Don't open carry if you can't keep your cool."

I can't cite my threads right now since I'm on my phone, but I'll get them tonight hopefully.

Honestly, a cool head needs to be rule number one regardless of carry method...

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I don't necessarily mean able to not go ballistic, but I was mocked and ridiculed by someone from IL, for carrying, trying to get my goat. I have a thread about it somewhere. I mean, being polite, remaining composed while some try to get you to rationalize OC, etc.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    I dont OC personally.. Mainly because waste carry to me is uncomfortable. I also like never being bothered by opinions and ignorance about firearms.

ChevyNova1970

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2015
    Northwest
    Hey Blue Falcon, I just wanted to say I love your stories you have! I am from Northwest Indiana too and people's reactions to Oc'ing are quite interesting. I see more and more anti-gun people in our area and once you head past St.John down south, I see more pro-gun people. Kinda sad especially for the people who thing they are right and know that Oc'ing is illegal.
    Anyways, keep the stories coming man! I love them haha

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Well, I don't OC very often, but I agree with the opinions here. IF one chooses to OC for whatever reason (whether I agree or disagree with the reason IS irrelevant) then it their responsibility... nay, 'duty'... to be an "Educator". Or, to use a different term, "good ambassador".

Whether we like it or not or think it fair or unfair, when one of us wears a gun that someone else notices, we're 'judged' by them. They might think we're a cop, we might even be a cop, they might think we're "scum", whatever. But we are judged by that person or persons. And they're simultaneously judging all gun owners, not just necessarily gun-carrying gun owners.

Even though I usually CC and have yet to be 'busted' on it, whether CC or the infrequent OC I am still conscious of the image I project to everyone, civilian and LEO. And that image reflects upon you, even if we've never met. My 'look', my personality, my 'attitude', my body language, my demeanor... ALL play a part on how YOU are perceived as a law-abiding, gun-toting citizen.

I want those who don't carry (for whatever reason) to understand that we're not 'Chicago South Side thugs'. That we're the good guys, civilian and LEO ('cause I am and have been both).

Does it matter? To the hard-core anti-gun nuts, none of it would ever matter. They're loons, and their agenda doesn't involve making people safer, any way. But it COULD matter to the 'undecideds', and I'd rather have them in our group than siding with Bloomie's loons.

JMO. YMMV.

Last edited:

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I have been asked multiple times while OCing if I am a cop. I simply reply "no". A few people have asked why I have a gun at this point. What do you guys reply to these types of questions?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Thanks for the feedback.

FYI I always dress neatly, Dockers and a collared shirt. Some thmes i an covered with saw dust but neat. I keep my cool and act politely to everyone i meet. When i get a remark or question that i can't answer adequately i will mull it over and formulate a reply so that i am prepared for the next time.

BTW those are the outstanding encounters over a six year period there have been many more less exciting and mostly positive. Just yesterday I had two encounters with "Indiana Lifetime Concealed Carry Permit" holders. They were both politely "educated" and both were pointed to INGO to further their education.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I don't OC often but when I do I don't get asked any questions. My wife says I don't realize how intimidating I am, 6'4" and over 300 lbs with a bald head and bushy beard, but I'm always polite and outgoing.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Actions speak louder than words.

If you don't think that your answer will be "a good answer," it is usually appropriate to say nothing at all, especially if the one confronting you is making an ass of him and/or herself.

Politeness is a good idea as well. A smile accompanied by "Good morning" or "have a nice day" is a lot easier than debating why you carry, and often, if you start with that before they confront you, the confrontation may never take place.

*of course, this is all appropriate behavior whether you're carrying or not. It's just part of living among humans.

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    Actions speak louder than words.

If you don't think that your answer will be "a good answer," it is usually appropriate to say nothing at all, especially if the one confronting you is making an ass of him and/or herself.

Politeness is a good idea as well. A smile accompanied by "Good morning" or "have a nice day" is a lot easier than debating why you carry, and often, if you start with that before they confront you, the confrontation may never take place.

*of course, this is all appropriate behavior whether you're carrying or not. It's just part of living among humans.

There is more to this saying nothing at all. I believe it was Mark Twain that said "Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    My answer to the to the question, "Are you a cop?", is "No Sir, just a Citizen". I usually get one of two follow ups,

"I thought you had to conceal it, then." to which i answer "Indiana Code does not 'allow' you to conceal a handgun." or

"I'm a citizen too." and I answer " Well, then you have the right to self defense too".

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Whether I OC or CC is basically a function of the weather. If it's cool enough to wear a jacket, it's CC. If it's too warm for an outer layer, then OC.

Last edited:

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    My answer to the to the question, "Are you a cop?", is "No Sir, just a Citizen". I usually get one of two follow ups,

"I thought you had to conceal it, then." to which i answer "Indiana Code does not 'allow' you to conceal a handgun." or

"I'm a citizen too." and I answer " Well, then you have the right to self defense too".
    Meaning it does not explicitly say "you can CC" or that it is prohibited? Maybe it's the wording, but I don't understand that reply.
    Whether I OC or CC is basically a function of the weather. If it's cool enough to wear a jacket, it's CC. If it's to warm for an outer layer, then OC.
    This is usually how I determine wether I OC or CC.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    That is exactly why I phrase it that way. It is just the beginning of the conversation. IC doesn't allow or disallow either concealed or open carry. IC 35-47-2 Allows a licensed individual to carry a handgun. The law is silent on how to go about your business.

I am also usually conealed in inclement weather.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    That is exactly why I phrase it that way. It is just the beginning of the conversation. IC doesn't allow or disallow either concealed or open carry. IC 35-47-2 Allows a licensed individual to carry a handgun. The law is silent on how to go about your business.

I am also usually conealed in inclement weather.

Gotcha. I thought maybe, but also wanted to clarify :yesway:

Top Bottom