• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Good point about the dental side. I have a few tools and some temporary filling material but lack the knowledge and resources.

Have another dental appointment first of the month. Plan to ask the doc about what she suggests for a 'wilderness camping trip'. At least until I can tell if she will be ok with the prepping idea.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Good point about the dental side. I have a few tools and some temporary filling material but lack the knowledge and resources.

Have another dental appointment first of the month. Plan to ask the doc about what she suggests for a 'wilderness camping trip'. At least until I can tell if she will be ok with the prepping idea.
    JB weld....I haven't been to a dentist in over 20 years and am only now just beginning to have a few minor issues. If it weren't for the USNavy screwing up my prior dental work I still wouldn't be having issues and would likely be good for another 30+years. As a teen, my parents had porcelain fillings "installed" and epoxy coatings put on my teeth and that was too different for the Navy to accept so they ground it all off and put garbage back in it's place. I'm debating having them yanked and getting dentures just to eliminate ever having to go back again. If you are in the military now, run away from anything they claim to be a dentist and when you get out, stay away from the VAHospitals unless you become a homeless bum and can't get care anywhere else.

kestrel4000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Just was talking to my girl about this thread. She asked me if I really thought something would happen in the future? I obviously responded with the standard wouldn't you rather be ready and not need it than need it and not be ready....

My first big prep will be to move out of the city and back to the country. I grew up on a farm and greatly miss having some distance between me and my neighbors. Hoping to be back to the country in a couple years...

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I've been in the aftermath of about a hundred or so fires and one things I've seen in every fire is the least amount of fire damage is at the lowest point of the house, however you have to store them in something that will bear the weight of the debris. Personally would store it under the bathroom because the pipes would add additional support above and also the release of water onto the preps container would help prevent heat damage (waterproof your prep storage). I happened to catch a fire in action in Chicago right as it started. The fire started in the second floor and utterly destroyed everything on that floor and above. I did catch this one on video. You can watch the behavior of fire in this video. It's good for studying where to store preps as well as how to get out.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtI-St-DH6w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtI-St-DH6w[/ame]

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    JB weld....I haven't been to a dentist in over 20 years and am only now just beginning to have a few minor issues. If it weren't for the USNavy screwing up my prior dental work I still wouldn't be having issues and would likely be good for another 30+years. As a teen, my parents had porcelain fillings "installed" and epoxy coatings put on my teeth and that was too different for the Navy to accept so they ground it all off and put garbage back in it's place. I'm debating having them yanked and getting dentures just to eliminate ever having to go back again. If you are in the military now, run away from anything they claim to be a dentist and when you get out, stay away from the VAHospitals unless you become a homeless bum and can't get care anywhere else.

OK, I have to admit a bit of curiosity toward JB Weld. I agree with everything the gov did, but do you actually use that?

Had thought about having dentures, but that brings on different troubles as well.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    OK, I have to admit a bit of curiosity toward JB Weld. I agree with everything the gov did, but do you actually use that?

Had thought about having dentures, but that brings on different troubles as well.
    I haven't had to use it yet, but I bet it would make a fantastic filling in an emergency situation where no dentists are avail...and would NOT hesitate to use it at least until I could find someone to do an extraction...a dremel tool used by another in my party would easily be able to finish any edges or high spots left....I do have a crown that broke loose about two years ago and I superglued it back in place, I have had to glue it back twice now and actually considered using JB the last time. I also have yet to think of a problem with dentures that could not be easily overcome....heck, they used to make them out of wood! Ever see the movie "wild things" where the main characters brother found some used dentures and whittled them to fit? Teeth don't bother me at all as far as solutions to problems go other than possible infections and abscesses, it's eyesight and the loss of it that really scare the hell out of me. Several years ago I suffered a series of "micro" strokes in my sleep and woke up unable to see out of my left eye. The docs told me there was fluid buildup behind the retina and it would subside on its own eventually but there was nothing they could do about it. Since then several times a year my left eye goes all goofy and a week or two later it gradually returns to what is now "normal". It has never fully returned to actual normal and is always rather fuzzy compared to the right eye. It really scared me half to death at first, now it is just an inconvenience and a constant reminder that I will never be what I once was....So far it is still good enough to pass the eye tests for my CDL.

Last edited:

Spazstick87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    if you gave one piece of advise to someone younger who is looking for land and to build a barn home then eventually a home on it and will be newly married in december. What would it be.? I have a few 1000rds of ammo and guns but gear nada zilch. I have no idea where to start.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    if you gave one piece of advise to someone younger who is looking for land and to build a barn home then eventually a home on it and will be newly married in december. What would it be.? I have a few 1000rds of ammo and guns but gear nada zilch. I have no idea where to start.

1. Water (sounds like you need to do that anyway.)
    2. Food
    3. Talk to guys here who've gone off the grid. If you build this land and house to be off the grid, you're light years ahead in prepping than most of us here. Sounds like you already have a handle on construction. Props to you. I'm a bit jealous. I've been trying to sell a couple city properties to get rural.

Spazstick87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Its all an idea now but I have a fiance who is on board with most of the plans. This helps alot when planning. Its hard to find the perfect piece of property that I can afford and still build a house. I do need to gather water and food and then I guess some water purifaction tablets or idine wont hurt either. It just takes money it sounds like to get prepared. Guess I will do a lil at a time.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Its all an idea now but I have a fiance who is on board with most of the plans. This helps alot when planning. Its hard to find the perfect piece of property that I can afford and still build a house. I do need to gather water and food and then I guess some water purifaction tablets or idine wont hurt either. It just takes money it sounds like to get prepared. Guess I will do a lil at a time.

Get a well drilled. If it is not to deep put a manual pump on it. If you can afford the well pump (electric) do that as well as the foot valve allows you to manually pump water if it is not to deep. Water is first.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I haven't had to use it yet, but I bet it would make a fantastic filling in an emergency situation where no dentists are avail...and would NOT hesitate to use it at least until I could find someone to do an extraction...a dremel tool used by another in my party would easily be able to finish any edges or high spots left....I do have a crown that broke loose about two years ago and I superglued it back in place, I have had to glue it back twice now and actually considered using JB the last time. I also have yet to think of a problem with dentures that could not be easily overcome....heck, they used to make them out of wood! Ever see the movie "wild things" where the main characters brother found some used dentures and whittled them to fit? Teeth don't bother me at all as far as solutions to problems go other than possible infections and abscesses, it's eyesight and the loss of it that really scare the hell out of me. Several years ago I suffered a series of "micro" strokes in my sleep and woke up unable to see out of my left eye. The docs told me there was fluid buildup behind the retina and it would subside on its own eventually but there was nothing they could do about it. Since then several times a year my left eye goes all goofy and a week or two later it gradually returns to what is now "normal". It has never fully returned to actual normal and is always rather fuzzy compared to the right eye. It really scared me half to death at first, now it is just an inconvenience and a constant reminder that I will never be what I once was....So far it is still good enough to pass the eye tests for my CDL.

Good old JB weld......
    None of us will ever be what we were once upon a time.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    If you can buy a piece of land with plenty of harvestable timber, sell some of the timber and pay the land off, then harvest the rest of the mature timber to build your house with. My grandparents did this with a piece of land in brown county and made out like bandits. They ended up with 65 acres and a house FREE, then sold it and used the profit (100%) to build their dream home on the golf course they own.

Top Bottom