• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I lost a significant percentage of my preps when the house burned to the ground, but my OTHER preps allowed me to rebuild quickly and cheaply.

But then, many of my preps are tools and skills in addition to stored stuff, and my biggest prep is 150 acres of land with trees and a sawmill.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    I lost a significant percentage of my preps when the house burned to the ground, but my OTHER preps allowed me to rebuild quickly and cheaply.

But then, many of my preps are tools and skills in addition to stored stuff, and my biggest prep is 150 acres of land with trees and a sawmill.

Would you have been ok if it was the middle of january 0 degrees 3 feet of snow, fuel supplies dried up 2 years prior to the fire.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have thought about this. Guns/ammo are safe but the food is vulnerable. Tools and fuel are stored in outbuildings but again, food is vulnerable. Just not much can be done about this. Well, try not to burn the place down.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Would you have been ok if it was the middle of january 0 degrees 3 feet of snow, fuel supplies dried up 2 years prior to the fire.

It was the end of January, there was snow (but not three feet). I was bathing with water heated on a camp stove next to a fire when it was 20 degrees out. And yes, I would have survived and rebuilt. That gets back to the part about skills being part of preps. Part of the skills I have acquired in my life are primitive living skills. And the lessons I learned from that part of my life are to have triple redundancy in non-concentrated locations, with some of them in hardened, fireproof locations.

Now, if you want to keep playing that stupid game to reductio ad absurtium, could I have been ok if I'd had two arms lopped off and while suffering from explosive dysentery at the same time, probably not. You can always come up with a scenario that one cannot prepare for or survive, which is why I periodically post the statistics of SHTFs for INGO members in the last couple of years to give people an idea of the high likelyhood events to prep for.

Balinor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    yes but what if or what if or if or if if if if if if and if a meteor slamed in to your house and took out 5 acres what if what if
    stuff can be replaced by skills (bartered) do what you can store what you can dont put eggs all in one basket but you can not be prepared for everything perfectly like it was a week at a spa. ok now you can all flame me

Tbald14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    And as a side note: shibumiseeker That is awesome that you have a sawmill.

Sorry had to throw that in there.

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    Prepping is helpful for improved self-reliance .Nothing more and Nothing is 100% .

Let's face it , the SHTF could have you " out of the equation " in the first 5 minutes . Let's hope not, but still... your family will quickly realize

It is always better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it .;)

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    You have spent you life prepping, spent thousands on supplies, are your preps safe if your house burns to the ground?

The majority of my preps are in my house. It dawned on me about a year ago that the two easiest to achieve SHTF scenarios to me are fire and tornado.

I am in process of moving the majority of the preps into an in ground cement basement area. It has a concrete roof with steel girders holding it up.

This will help with both fire and tornado, at least better than where I had them before. Have been moving part of the firearms and ammo down there as well as two BOBs.

Still putting things off site for the same two reasons. Just harder to let go of it when I put it in a cache.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Second best investment I ever made, after buying the land at age 19.

It's paid for itself about 30 times over between milling my own lumber and doing the occasional milling job or selling hardwood.
    Is it a portable unit? I've looked at some of those. The ones that utilize a chainsaw don't seem too sound IMO. I'd like to find someone with a pull behind mill though as I have a few trees that need to come down and would like to utilize them in a re-modeling/rebuilding project. Our house is 50+ years old and has some pretty bad termite and water damage due to a couple decades of no routine maintenance. It would be nice to get enough lumber out of them to add a second floor too.......

Sorry about the thread jack.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    Second best investment I ever made, after buying the land at age 19.

It's paid for itself about 30 times over between milling my own lumber and doing the occasional milling job or selling hardwood.

I almost did this at age 18. I had a good job and had the money, but backed out of the deal because I wasn't sure if my job would let me stay close to home (I was low man on seniority roster) and knew in a few years I'd make another promotion move and be low man out again! So I balked on the deal, and now kick myself in the butt every day I drive past the land. Its only 5 miles from where I live now.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    There is just something about moving all your preps around to various locations to get out of the "eggs in one basket". Too often you see these shows where all the stuff is put in the basement. While that is nice, what if you do have a major flood, a earthquake that collapses your home into the basement? All unlikely, but could happen.

I like the other persons comment "IFIFIFIFIF" You can't prepare for every possibility, but doing everything you can is the best option. We have looked at a shipping container, but then again even that isn't perfect.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Is it a portable unit? I've looked at some of those. The ones that utilize a chainsaw don't seem too sound IMO. I'd like to find someone with a pull behind mill though as I have a few trees that need to come down and would like to utilize them in a re-modeling/rebuilding project. Our house is 50+ years old and has some pretty bad termite and water damage due to a couple decades of no routine maintenance. It would be nice to get enough lumber out of them to add a second floor too.......

Sorry about the thread jack.

Yep, a WoodMizer. Back in 93 when I was thinking of sawmills I looked into the chainsaw mills and rejected them back then, and after almost 2 decades of milling I would never own one now. There's just too many easier ways of making lumber. Chainsaws are expensive, the chains just don't cut that many linear feet before they need sharpened, they suck fuel down like crazy, and the engines don't last that long used like that as they were not designed for it. My mill paid for itself in the first 10,000 board feet of lumber I cut. I can cut 6-8 hours on a gallon of gas, blades are $20, cut 500-1000bf before needing sharpened, and can be sharpened numerous times.

I've cut around 200k bf of lumber on my mill since I bought it. Did a cutting job for a friend who ended up buying his own mill and built a 3000sq ft house with lumber he cut from his property.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The majority of my preps are in my house. It dawned on me about a year ago that the two easiest to achieve SHTF scenarios to me are fire and tornado.

I am in process of moving the majority of the preps into an in ground cement basement area. It has a concrete roof with steel girders holding it up.

This will help with both fire and tornado, at least better than where I had them before. Have been moving part of the firearms and ammo down there as well as two BOBs.

Still putting things off site for the same two reasons. Just harder to let go of it when I put it in a cache.

If storing firearms and such remember humidity is not your friend.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yep, a WoodMizer. Back in 93 when I was thinking of sawmills I looked into the chainsaw mills and rejected them back then, and after almost 2 decades of milling I would never own one now. There's just too many easier ways of making lumber. Chainsaws are expensive, the chains just don't cut that many linear feet before they need sharpened, they suck fuel down like crazy, and the engines don't last that long used like that as they were not designed for it. My mill paid for itself in the first 10,000 board feet of lumber I cut. I can cut 6-8 hours on a gallon of gas, blades are $20, cut 500-1000bf before needing sharpened, and can be sharpened numerous times.

I've cut around 200k bf of lumber on my mill since I bought it. Did a cutting job for a friend who ended up buying his own mill and built a 3000sq ft house with lumber he cut from his property.

Brother in law has a mill and we have built numerous buildings and add on's with it. Besides being a wonderful piece of equipment it is a hoot to run.

bstone2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    west side of indianapolis
    i have a very important prep that i have not heard mentioned anywhere before. lasik eye surgery. im a prepper with 20/20 vision but my wife recently had lasik surgery and afterwards i started thinking about how many pairs of glasses she had broken and how many contacts she had lost. vision is important in any situation but in a survival situation its even more so.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    i have a very important prep that i have not heard mentioned anywhere before. lasik eye surgery. im a prepper with 20/20 vision but my wife recently had lasik surgery and afterwards i started thinking about how many pairs of glasses she had broken and how many contacts she had lost. vision is important in any situation but in a survival situation its even more so.

So is dental. I think a lot of people over look that type of stuff.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    For half the cost of lasik you can order enough glasses from zenni to wear a different pair every month for life....My wife buys her glasses from them and orders 5-6 pair for the cost of 1 pair at the lenscraftrs/1hour eyeglasses places.

Top Bottom