You have $500 for a used .45. What would you get?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Xrage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2014
    NWI
    I'd go with the S&W M&P 45 with the 4.5" barrel. With the 2.0's out now the prices of the originals should continue to come down.
    People can be unrealistic with their used gun prices sometimes but i would expect to pay less than $500 for that gun.

I know you said "no plastic" but for the price you're looking for i'd rather have a good quality "plastic" gun than an average steel gun, just my opinion.

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    Wow. Still following this. I appreciate everyone's feedback.
    Haven't stepped up yet for a few reasons. I don't get to go and try much. No stores have a 97B, a Stoeger Cougar or a Sar Arms. Lots of recommendations to buy the 97, but also one was against- saying not good for small hands.

I don't like pokey tails either, I will carry this daily, even IWB which is why close to 4" barrel is ideal.

So it has boiled down to plasticlones and what I can put my hands on. My plan was to research this until my birthday, so I wasn't in any rush. Consideration list so far mainly plastic: Sig P320, Sig P227, 97B, XD Mod 2 (This had felt best in my hands), Sar, EAA witness (both still unseen). I didnt like the balance of the M&P 2.0, the XD felt better.

I did sell my 9c, though that cash went to my .308. Like I said, no rush. I will get to try the 227 soon so I should have an update then. I also plan to go to the next 1500 on the Friday, so if you want to meet up with me to convince me of one over another, that would be cool.

Last edited:

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    I hate when people do this, but since nobody has, I'm going to. Please forgive and read at your own peril,....

If I had $500 to spend and wanted a used, high quality metal .45 I'd buy a .40 and get twice the gun for half the money. .40 is out of favor, it is true, but .40 is out of favor because it kinda sucks a little bit in a poly framed sub-compact. That has nothing to do with how great it handles in a service size metal framed pistol. I'm addicted to DAO pistols so two of my favorites are the S&W 4046/4043 and the Beretta Cougar 8040D. The same guns are available in a DA/SA as 4006/4003 and 8040. Both are soft shooting, accurate, reliable and durable and I've bought more than I can count in the $250-300 range. Both are comfortably gripped and hold 11+1. And there's nothing a .45 is going to do out of a 4 or 4-1/2" barrel that the .40 won't do exactly as well,.......and it's cheaper to shoot.

Again, sorry, but that's exactly what I'd do. Buy good guns cheap when nobody else is buying them.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Object? No. Maybe on a cost basis.

I've never been able to convince myself that I needed a .357SIG or 10mm for anything. I did lay in a few thousand SIG brass in case I change my mind but that was more to cover bases if I ever decided to build a pistol caliber carbine/rifle. Always liked the necked calibers for that.

Ya know, for under $500 you could have any of the .40 models listed above AND a .357SIG barrel.

Oh, and maybe I was unclear when I said "I hate when people do this, but since nobody has, I'm going to." What I was referring to was my answering a question that wasn't asked. You specifically limited the question to .45ACP and I was apologizing for taking it somewhere else. If we stick to .45 I'd say S&W 4586(awful heavy for carry)or SIG P220.

Last edited:

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    I will do my best to stay on topic too. Though I do think it enriched the discussion without straying too far.

I shot my friend's Dept. Issued Glock in 40 and I didn't like it. I also want a readily available SHTF caliber and it seems like a lot of people are dropping .40.

The improved loads of 9 now put the cavity closer to .45 than ever before, so that's what I currently carry. I am interested in carrying .45 too.

The Sig .357 felt amazing. It doesn't qualify as plentiful/easy to make ammo in my eyes though. Those are sort of calibers I fanasize would become as popular as the rest!

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    True, .40 caliber Glocks suck, but that's because Glock, not because .40. Shoot a .40 out of a Cougar or an all stainless Smith and it's a *****cat. The rotating barrel lock in the Beretta really slows slide velocity and shear weight of the Smith tames the sharp recoil that the .40 is known for in lesser guns.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I agree about the .40, I have two .40's.
    On topic, have you considered an XDs? There is a .45 in the classifieds now. I have one in 9MM, has been a good pistol so far for me.

Top Bottom