• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Haha, I am not married, but my shooting buddy was there and my brother. I think my shooting friend was more freaked out that I was. My training just kicked in and I grabbed the first aid kit got the boot and sock off and wrapped it. Then we drove to the ER. I bought a powerball ticket today, but I think I used my luck up missing the bones!!! :D

It was with a .38 special S&W revolver. Luckily we were just shooting FMJ and not the hollowpoints we had and were shooting in the .40. I kept the case and dug the bullet out of the brick on the patio.

Glad to hear you're okay. Thanks for posting this experience -- it serves as a good reminder for all of us.

How in the heck did that round miss all the bones in your foot?

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    It could happen to anybody.
    All it takes is a momentary lapse of reason (thanks Pink), and bad things can occur, even to the best of us.
    Glad you're none worse for the wear.

Still.......

BIG DUMMY! ;)

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    Thanks for sharing. It is always a clearer message when we get it from the Horses Mouth. I hope you don't feel like you are the other end of the horse, accidents happen to everyone. I am glad that you only broke through flesh and not bone.

Now I have to ask. My last course instructor told us that it would not hurt very much if you are shot and do not hit bone. Would you care to comment on his remarks?

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    How in the heck did that round miss all the bones in your foot?

By the grace of God.

And as for the question about it hurting... well... it really doesn't. I didn't feel much as soon as it happened, I just realized something was wrong. Then I looked down at my boot and saw a little blood oozing out and realized "Oh *$&%". It hasn't really hurt though, it feels mostly like a horse stepped on my foot or I dropped something really heavy on it. It throbs a little every now and then, usually after I have been moving around. I am very suprised it didn't hurt more.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Glad to hear you're OK! I know an NRA instructor who admitted to accidentally shooting out his living room window. So it can definitely happen to anyone.

Thanks for sharing your story. Hearing it helps everyone else keep the rules in mind when handling guns.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I know a guy that was cleaning his .357 and ended up shooting a hole through his hand. I'm not sure how, but he missed bone too. I always tell my kids, don't put your finger on the trigger unless you plan on pulling it.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Hey thanks for the memorable reminder. I shoot a couple revolvers along with my other guns, and they seem "safer" but you've reminded me that no firearm is "safe."

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Thanks for the admission and admonishment Flintlock. I sometimes get careless and need a reminder even after all these years. I had my grandsons shooting an air rifle in the basement this morning. We also handled some firearms. I asked, like always, "What is the first thing we do when we pick up a firearm?" The oldest (10) said, "We check the safety." I told him, "No, we always look to see if the chamber is empty. We never depend on a safety. Our eyes are our safety." I always tell them not to put their finger in the trigger guard until they are ready to shoot.

I taught them how to reload, and let each one of them reload a rifle round today. They really got a charge out of that. I also let each one load a dummy round and take it home, with the warning not to take it to school.

It was a good day to be a papaw!:D

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    last time i was at the range(tri-county northern in)there was a father and son fighting over a loaded .22 rifle,swinging it back and forth in front of the people watching.they couldnt figure out whos turn it was:starwars::biggun:

Top Bottom