• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    We're not really saying what SHOULD have happened, or COULD have happened, we're trying to interpret the LEO's logic.

The LEO stated he took the bullets for the safety of the OP since he had a head injury. This did not serve his intended purpose of not letting the OP accidentally injure himself or others as he was easily able to make the gun dangerous to himself again simply with another magazine. (in the mind of the LEO)

Just because the execution left a little to be desired it doesn't mean the entire premise is wrong.

I'm not sure he should have even confiscated anything (esp since separate thread states you can legally carry and be drinking alcohol),

"Drinking" is one thing. Being "drunk" is another. I bet there would not be any court which would penalize a cop who disarmed a person who was showing signs of being legally intoxicated. Just like there would be no repercussions for a cop who seized the keys from a drunk who was trying to get into their car.

The reasoning is EXACTLY the same. Both are deadly weapons & could be used irresponsibly to injure the individual or especially others by someone whose mental state is reasonably called into question.

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    dizzy.gif
    =
    ambulance.gif
    NOT :draw:

:yesway: TO
    character0008.gif

2cents.gif

+1 for excellent use of emoticons! :yesway:

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    I know of a guy who had a single car accident. He ran off the road pretty bad and a leo witnessed it. He doubled back to render aid and as he approached the driver's side door the guy I knew put a gun to his head and pulled the trigger. A real wtf moment. Still don't understand why.

I think the officer was reasonable. He just should have given a receipt. I'd still buy him a donut though. I hate to donut alone.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Just because the execution left a little to be desired it doesn't mean the entire premise is wrong.

The reasoning is EXACTLY the same. Both are deadly weapons & could be used irresponsibly to injure the individual or especially others by someone whose mental state is reasonably called into question.

I think a lot of us are arguing without disagreeing on this. I'm saying if you want to make it safe, go the whole way. The desired endpoint was not achieved by the action. I'm not commenting on whether he should or not seize the ammo, which I guess was really the point of the discussion. The officer did not want this gun being used by OP as a firearm. The way to ensure that is to take the gun, not the bullet.

Regarding taking keys, if you take someone's keys And then they get their spare set from their backpack and take off without you knowing, did you really
    do anything other than make yourself feel better?

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I can't believe some people are okay with what the officer did. It was wrong, he had no right and his actions accomplished nothing. His actions are equal to one of those feel good firearm laws. You know the ones, they don't actually do anything they are just there to placate the masses.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Anderson
    This is incredible! IMO some people on here are getting bent out of shape because there's nothing in the IC to make having/owning/carrying a firearm in a dangerous situation illegal. The OP had a concussion that no one knew at the time. Even if the OP didn't have an obvious head injury (I don't know if it was obvious or not), the OP had just been in an accident which can be a very traumatic experience in which people CAN behave erratically and unpredictably. +1 to the OP for handing over his gun. +1 to the LEO for keeping the ammo.

Just because something stupid isn't illegal doesn't mean we should all go around doing it just because it's legal. Police yourselves folks and we wouldn't need laws.

Is it legal to carry in a bar? Yes. Is it legal to carry while drinking? Yes. Is it legal to carry while drunk (legally intoxicated)? Yes. Replace the word "carry" with "use". Does it make a difference legally? No. Does that mean you should carry or use while drunk? No, probably not. If some drunkard ends up shooting a falsely suspected attacker, I wouldn't put it past our law makers to try and pass a law because some half-wit couldn't police himself.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I can't believe some people are okay with what the officer did. It was wrong, he had no right and his actions accomplished nothing. His actions are equal to one of those feel good firearm laws. You know the ones, they don't actually do anything they are just there to placate the masses.

Liability bro liability. If the OP, after being given his loaded weapon back, raised it to his head a pulled the trigger, I'm fairly sure his survivors would have been suing that officer and his department, citing the same justification that many here are using as to why the officer took the rounds.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    It seemed like the OP didn't give it up because he had a head injury. He gave it up because he wanted it safely kept while he went to the hospital. The officer made the decision that giving a fiream to a person with a head injury was a good idea as long as it wasn't loaded. Well, we've shown that what the officer intended did not happen.

Them's the non-judgmental facts.

Sgood

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    West Newton
    I have been pulled over a couple of times and I always make the officer aware that I have a ltch and a firearm on my persons. Both times they have ran my serial numbers, checked my permit and unloaded my pistol and fully unloaded my magazine.
    They have given me my bullets and pistol back and when I asked both why they unloaded my gun...They stated it was for their protection.
    Well in my opinion......if their safety was at risk, it would have been when they walked to my window....not after they took my gun from my possesion to run the numbers....
    Just didn't make sense to me.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It seemed like the OP didn't give it up because he had a head injury. He gave it up because he wanted it safely kept while he went to the hospital. The officer made the decision that giving a fiream to a person with a head injury was a good idea as long as it wasn't loaded. Well, we've shown that what the officer intended did not happen.

Them's the non-judgmental facts.

What did the officer intend?

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have been pulled over a couple of times and I always make the officer aware that I have a ltch and a firearm on my persons. Both times they have ran my serial numbers, checked my permit and unloaded my pistol and fully unloaded my magazine.
    They have given me my bullets and pistol back and when I asked both why they unloaded my gun...They stated it was for their protection.
    Well in my opinion......if their safety was at risk, it would have been when they walked to my window....not after they took my gun from my possesion to run the numbers....
    Just didn't make sense to me.

Agreed. Not to mention, when a LEO asks for the handgun, he is giving the citizen permission to handle a weapon in his/her presence. Wouldn't that be a perfect time for a bad guy to shoot the Officer? :dunno:

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Agreed. Not to mention, when a LEO asks for the handgun, he is giving the citizen permission to handle a weapon in his/her presence. Wouldn't that be a perfect time for a bad guy to shoot the Officer? :dunno:

Yep, I've had an officer stand in front of me arms folded, asking me to draw my gun and unload it in front of him... standing on a concrete surface... at lunchtime in a crowded area... for his safety.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Yep, I've had an officer stand in front of me arms folded, asking me to draw my gun and unload it in front of him... standing on a concrete surface... at lunchtime in a crowded area... for his safety.

Safety of the citizens around you apparently wasn't his main priority, so much for "To Protect and Serve" eh? (for that LEO, no offense/bash etc intended to others)

That still pisses me off and I wasn't even there! I am still a relative n00b when it comes to firearms, but I am pretty sure most trainers teach that the safest handgun is the one you AREN'T handling...

...which, to bring it back on topic, is another reason the LEOs actions in the OPs case might be questionable...

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I've been A first responder on many accidents and on two occasions I can recall taking the Handguns from the injured. They were both in shock and one was acting really stupid while trying to start his truck after rolling it mutable times with gas pouring out from the tank. (I took his keys and clipped the battery) The other was a huge biker and quickly came out of shock when he realized that I had his gun. (Lucky for me he was pinned)
    This actually worked much better than just asking him his name and address to keep him alert. Gave the guns up to the responding officers who also kept them till they were confident the owners were OK. (Post Hospital)
    If someone had done this to me I admit, I would have been pissed as hell but I did get thanked later from both of them. The Cops I know do this at times.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Not giving a receipt is unreasonable, and at the time, they did not know I had a concussion. Everything checked out, and the EMTs seemed to think everything was okay. Later I went to the hospital on my own (have you seen the EMT bills?) and the doctor was pretty frustrated that I didnt come in earlier, because he said I pretty obviously had a concussion.

The truck did not. I fell asleep at the wheel and drifted into the oncoming lane. If you saw my car at all, I am sure you would agree that it is nothing short of a miracle that I walked away. I had the cruise control set at 55mph, and I am sure the truck was doing about the same.

So you are driving, while, for whatever reason, not having enough sleep or whatever, AND set your cruise control???? Just asking for trouble... In my opinion!

Top Bottom