• ...and so much more!
  • singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    After reading all the threads about Mosin I decided to get one. Got this one from a fellow Club Member. $75.00 for Rifle and 20 Rounds. Serial numbers don't match, don't know if that is a big deal, but the rifle is in decent shape. I can't wait to shoot.

mosin31.jpg

mosin21.jpg

2.jpg

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Jasper county
    Very nice. You will want to get more than 20 rnds because mosins are so fun to shoot you will go through very fast. Just be prepared to get another because mosins tend to multiply.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Very nice! Let's hear some details. Date, arsenal, etc.

OK, Mosin noobie here. This is what I've been able to determine. The Receiver was made at Izhevsk. This rifle is an "updated Dragoons". The rear sight has been replace with the Curve kind (Konovalov rear sight). Year stamped the Receiver is 1927. As stated early, the serial numbers don't match so obviously this rifle was refitted (who know how many times). I'll choose to believe that this rifle was used in WWII. Maybe during the Siege of Stalingrad or the breakout a Krusk. Love holding a piece of history. Hmmm, I'm displaying the early warning signs of an obsession. :D

When doing my research I noticed that the HEX receivers sell for more. Why?

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    It looks like an actual dragoon to me. The curved rear sight and non hooded front sight are both original to dragoons. Updated dragoons have a flat Rear sight and covered front sight. I would say you got a great deal even if it is mismatched.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Ditto to what citizenkane said. You got one heckuva deal. Wouldn't by chance be a [SA] on the left side of the receiver? The stock looks Finned to me. Oh, and if you decide to modify it, before you do I'll give you your money back and throw in your choice out of 3 wartime dated rifles.

Good deal Z Driver, we expect a full report about your purchase!

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    No "SA" stamp. I am not going to make any changes (No Pimp my Mosin). I got this rifle to own a piece of history. Interestingly, this rifle was made the same year as my Mother-Laws birth year. My wife found that very interesting; her mother had recently passed away. While I don't think this fact will convert her into a die hard gun collector, I do think she understands why gun collecting is fun. You never know what will turn up.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Hmmm, how about a "Made in U.S.S.R" on top the receiver? That would indicate that it came from Spain, Having been used in the Spanish civil war. Good attitude about the historical aspects of your rifle!

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I was at Bradis' the other day and thought very hard about getting one or maybe two and a can of 440 rounds. They had 3 carbines, two with bayonets, that were in really great condition. The 25 or so rifles on the rack also all looked pretty good. I know little about them, but one thing does concern me. What are the chances of a bolt coming back at you if you get a little careless and discharge the weapon with the bolt barely into the groove and just barely catching the top of the reciever? It seems like my other bolt guns are much more secure when I push load a round and push the bolt down. As ugly as I am, I would still really hate to have something happen to me like what was supposed to have happened to many with the Canadian Ross rifles. Just curious. I will probably end up back at Bradis' buying a couple in the near future.

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Very nice Mosin! Even though the numbers don't match, the gun itself is in excellent condition. Also paying $75 isn't bad either. I bought a 91/30 myself about a month ago for the same price with 80 rounds of Russian Steel core. Enjoy the rifle, and beware it gets addictive.:D

bobbystoney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    I bought my mosin a few months ago and have not even gotten around to cleaning the cosmoline off of it. Starting to think about trading it off for something that I'll actually shoot.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Even better, singlesix. A unconverted, unFinned, unSpanish, Soviet dragoon is bordering on rare. You got a very nice rifle, and I'm actually jealous!:D That is one version that has escaped my searches, and you got one for a first Mosin! :yesway: Oh, and my offer still stands.:):
    Anyway, you asked earlier about hex receivers costing a bit more. For one reason, they're somewhat more rare. The Soviets made more round receivers in huge numbers, millions per year during the war, while hexes were very seldom made in excess of 300,000 in any single year. Being older, there was a greater chance those numbers would be further reduced by war loss and other damage. They also have a unique appearance, especially the ones with the older, text arsenal stamps.

I was at Bradis' the other day and thought very hard about getting one or maybe two and a can of 440 rounds. They had 3 carbines, two with bayonets, that were in really great condition. The 25 or so rifles on the rack also all looked pretty good. I know little about them, but one thing does concern me. What are the chances of a bolt coming back at you if you get a little careless and discharge the weapon with the bolt barely into the groove and just barely catching the top of the reciever? It seems like my other bolt guns are much more secure when I push load a round and push the bolt down. As ugly as I am, I would still really hate to have something happen to me like what was supposed to have happened to many with the Canadian Ross rifles. Just curious. I will probably end up back at Bradis' buying a couple in the near future.
    The chances of a bolt coming back out are nil. For one thing, the bolt has to be reassembled properly (unlike the Ross) to even get it back into the receiver. Also, I've read a couple of instances where folks have tried to load a round with one in the chamber. The bullet would set off the primer of the round in front of it, but the bolt didn't come back out. Other than some powder burns and minor injuries from brass fragments, no major damage to the shooter.
    With everybody posting pics of their new Mosins, I'm going to have to get some of mine on here, been really slacking on taking pics lately.

Top Bottom