• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Michigan Slim

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I use a similar mix of 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup apple juice, 4 tbsp sugar in traps like to this. I change it every 3-4 days as the liquid is full of bald faced hornets/yellow jackets.

I get about 20-30 in each trap for the last couple of months. No bees just hornets
    2fcf3cc331148228bf4d99c041f53839.png
    Works well to put a piece of raw meet or fish also if you start catching honey bees.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    We had a nasty nest on our property a few weeks ago. Called a fellow and he dealt them aces and eights. No more problems.

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    I found a ground nest yesterday afternoon, at ~1" in diameter, probably one of the largest openings I have encountered and crazy busy with them coming and going. I decided I would get up early this morning and dump some Sevin dust on the entrance. 6am this morning I was surprised to see the entrance just boiling with activity. They were not flying but very active. I backed away and will try again tonight well after dark. First time for me as they have always been inactive in the early am in the past. I may have to resort to calling in reinforcements!

Longhair

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    After giving them a couple days to calm down after driving the bush hog over the nest I went out to the nest when it got dark with a gallon of gas and poured it down the hole.

It worked on the first nest I found last week, no sign of them there. I've always had good results using gas. No need to light it just find the hole and fill it with gas.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I found a ground nest yesterday afternoon, at ~1" in diameter, probably one of the largest openings I have encountered and crazy busy with them coming and going. I decided I would get up early this morning and dump some Sevin dust on the entrance. 6am this morning I was surprised to see the entrance just boiling with activity. They were not flying but very active. I backed away and will try again tonight well after dark. First time for me as they have always been inactive in the early am in the past. I may have to resort to calling in reinforcements!
    I dusted them during the middle of the day, full of activity.

The ground nesting yellow jackets are not violent until provoked. I walked up to the hole and tossed a handful of dust on it. Then I walked away looking for any others in the area. They started boiling out of there but none attacked me. The fact that they started coming out to see what was going on just helped to spread the dust deeper into the nest.

Your mileage may vary. I am not a bee whisperer.

aNOMaly116

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2023
    Indianapolis
    Where are you located?

Top Bottom