• ...and so much more!
  • CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Sotomayor wins backers after smooth hearings

By JESSE J. HOLLAND, Associated Press Writer Jesse J. Holland, Associated Press Writer – 59 mins ago
    WASHINGTON – Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor won her first public pledge of support Friday from the Senate's most senior Republican, after a smooth performance at her confirmation hearings that has placed her firmly on track to become the high court's first Latina and the first Democratic-named justice in 15 years.
    Sen. Richard Lugar, R-Ind., announced that he would vote for Sotomayor, calling her "clearly qualified to serve on the Supreme Court," after four days of Judiciary Committee hearings in which he said she showed "a judicial temperament." Lugar, who previously voted to confirm Sotomayor to her current spot on a federal appeals court, was the first Republicans to voice his support for Sotomayor after her hearings this week.
    The only other Republicans to publicly weigh in on Sotomayor's nomination are three of the Senate's staunchest conservatives, Sens. Jim Bunning of Kentucky, James Inhofe of Oklahoma and Pat Roberts of Kansas — all of whom have said they intend to vote no on President Barack Obama's first high court choice.
    Republican-turned-Democratic Sen. Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania, who had hinted strongly that he will support Sotomayor, made it official Friday with a statement in which he said he'd vote for her and urge colleagues to do the same.
    Sotomayor "displayed intellect, restraint and judicial demeanor" at her hearings, Specter said.
    With Democrats solidly behind Sotomayor, three days of grueling questioning before the Senate Judiciary Committee gave Republicans no new ammunition to use against the 55-year-old nominee, who was raised in a South Bronx housing project, educated in the Ivy League, and rose through the legal ranks to spend 17 years on the federal bench.
    Now GOP senators are weighing the tricky politics of voting on Sotomayor's confirmation without alienating either their conservative base or Hispanic and women voters.
    The GOP's leader at the confirmation hearings, Sen. Jeff Sessions of Alabama has said he has no interest in stopping or even delaying Sotomayor's confirmation vote as the country's 111th Supreme Court justice.
    "I look forward to you getting that vote before we recess" on in Aug. 7, said Sessions, despite calls from some conservatives to delay the vote until after the Senate returns in September from its summer break.
    "Each senator will make up their own mind," Sessions said.
    Sotomayor has overwhelming if not unanimous support among the Senate's 58 Democrats and two independents.
    Democrats, sensing a big win, immediately scheduled a committee vote Tuesday, starting the clock on a schedule for a final confirmation vote before the Senate leaves in August for a four-week summer break as well as before the next Supreme Court argument on Sept. 9.
    Republicans will likely ask for a weeklong delay before the panel vote, but a unified GOP front against her also seems unlikely, given the praise Sotomayor got from a couple of critics on the Judiciary Committee. Two Republicans, Sens. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina and John Cornyn of Texas, called her judicial record "mainstream."
    The underlying politics are dicey for Republicans. They must be careful to keep faith with constituents like National Rifle Association members who oppose her, yet avoid offending the Hispanic voters who represent the fastest-growing segment of the electorate.
    Sotomayor's hearings were as much a prelude for future Supreme Court fights as a battle over the judge herself. Republicans criticized Obama's assertion — made before nominating Sotomayor — that he was looking for a justice with "the quality of empathy," and earlier an statement when he was a senator that some decisions depend on what's in a judge's heart.
    They also pressed Sotomayor repeatedly on her 2001 statement that she hoped a "wise Latina" would usually rule better than a white male, drawing expressions of regret from the nominee, who said her words were poorly chosen.
    Sotomayor parried all their questions on hot-button issues like guns and abortion rights and defended her speeches that have been faulted as showing bias.
    She was unequivocal, however, in her statements on what kind of justice she would be. "I do not permit my sympathies, personal views or prejudices to influence the outcome of my cases," she told senators.
    Republicans, expressing concern that she would bring bias to the court, gave a speaking role at the hearing to Frank Ricci, a white New Haven, Conn., firefighter whose reverse discrimination claim was rejected by Sotomayor and two other appeals court judges. He complained that the ruling showed a belief "that citizens should be reduced to racial statistics" but declined when given the chance to say Sotomayor's nomination should be rejected.
    Her panel's ruling was overturned last month by the Supreme Court she hopes to join.

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Anyone surprised? The man is a centrist (Which would be far left by 1776 standards, sad how far we have gone)

I decided when Lugar voted for the stimulus package that I would never vote for him. He is way too left leaning for me.

But hey, I am a crazy Northwesterner, hanging out with Jefferson and Franklin. :patriot:

(Politopia: The Land of Custom-Made Government)

ian2000gsxr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2008
    Mooresville
    he will never get my vote, same with bayh... i'm sick of him selling the residents of this state down the river. also i am disgusted at his and other politicians view that they "know what is best for us" and therefore vote how they want, not how the majority of their constituents want

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    It's not like Dear Leader was going to nominate anyone better.

On the positive side, I don't think she is anywhere near as smart as Souter, so I suspect she'll have much less influence than he did on the Court. So in that sense, Sotomayor is probably better in the long run than say, Cass Sunstein.

Ghostrider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Mishawaka
    Anyone surprised? The man is a centrist (Which would be far left by 1776 standards, sad how far we have gone)

I decided when Lugar voted for the stimulus package that I would never vote for him. He is way too left leaning for me.

But hey, I am a crazy Northwesterner, hanging out with Jefferson and Franklin. :patriot:

(Politopia: The Land of Custom-Made Government)

The stimulus package was the last straw for me as well with this guy.

When he voted for it, the first words out of my mouth were "I'll vote for who ever runs against him". He has become way too liberal over the years.

The Sotomayor thing just confirms that my decision to vote against him is right.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Actually, the Brady Bill and Assault Weapons Ban were the last straw for me. I haven't voted for the Dem, but I have not voted for Lugar since '94.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    ITS OFFICIAL

She's been appointed for life. 8/6/2009

The Supreme Court of the United States has just been SOTOMIZED.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    What's Luger phone #?

I'm going to call and let them know that I will be voting for whoever runs agains him.

(I was going to anyway, but this is an oppotune time to let him know.)

Top Bottom