• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    So how many of you use these sights? I put a set on my Glock 23 and am having a hard time getting used to them. Always had traditional 3 dots before with no problem. Hope I catch on quick!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've always had a problem with 3-dot sights. I just put big dots on my XD and so far I like them a lot better than the 3-dots.

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    They came recommended so i thought I would give them a try. Just something new to get used to I reckon and if I dont guess I can trade them out.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Like them up close, but have problems with them beyond 15 yards.

I may need them in a few years, but right now, do not have them on any of my pistols.

OTOH, I love their ghost ring sights for rifles.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Mine certainly took some getting used to.

Now I wouldn't trade them for any 3-dot. (on a defensive pistol)

releo 37

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    I have them on a Glock 19 and love them. They are really great for 15 yards and less but a little harder to use out at the 25 yard line

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Pretty telling that the pres of the company has to make a video to prove the sights can be used at a distance. Lesson? If you do a LOT of shooting over the course of many years with these sights, you can hit something at a distance. I'd be more interested to see an independent test of precision vs traditional sights.

Oh, and I'm a little tired of people on videos saying it is unedited, when there are all sorts of cuts in the video. Unedited would be him shooting from 25, show him walk to 50 (after resetting the target) and shooting, walk to 75 and shoot, walk to 100 and shoot. I believe he hit the target, but how many times did it take? He said first shot, but he's got a vested interest in us thinking that.

I'll stand by my "not for me" statement and distance shooting is not the reason I don't like them, they just aren't for me. I like hardball or 3-dot better. If you like them, good for you.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Pretty telling that the pres of the company has to make a video to prove the sights can be used at a distance.

Actually, Yeager is the President of Tactical Response, the training company, not XS Sights. Maybe Shay can chime in on this, but I believe Yeager is just a huge fan of the sights.

As for hitting that far away, that's cool that he can do that, but I don't get into many 100-yard pistol fights. They are for up-close work.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    As for hitting that far away, that's cool that he can do that, but I don't get into many 100-yard pistol fights. They are for up-close work.

Agreed, and I often wonder why people say they aren't good out past 25 yards... who would actually be in a gunfight at that range?

Big dots are meant to be battle sights... not target or game sights.

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    Big dots are meant to be battle sights... not target or game sights.

I can see differentiating battle sights from target (slow fire) sights, but not necessarily from "gaming" sights. After all, when shooting USPSA/IDPA/etc. you're still trying to engage multiple targets accurately and as fast as possible to make the shot. Besides accounting for low light situations by adding a Tritium vial, there really shouldn't be much difference between the two.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I can see differentiating battle sights from target (slow fire) sights, but not necessarily from "gaming" sights. After all, when shooting USPSA/IDPA/etc. you're still trying to engage multiple targets accurately and as fast as possible to make the shot. Besides accounting for low light situations by adding a Tritium vial, there really shouldn't be much difference between the two.

Good point, though there are some who use Big Dots in IDPA and USPSA. Gaming sights aren't focused on "grouping" shots in a one inch circle, we have a little more room to play with.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Actually, Yeager is the President of Tactical Response, the training company, not XS Sights. Maybe Shay can chime in on this, but I believe Yeager is just a huge fan of the sights.

The shots were made from 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards without edits in the shots themselves. I'm sure it would have been riveting footage to watch Yeager walk 100 yards, but...

I have made 100+ yard shots many, many times with XS sights.

A few years ago I did it first shot with a borrowed Glock 26 with XS sights in front of about 15 witnesses.

When someone says that something can't be done it's because THEY can't do it.

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    Good point, though there are some who use Big Dots in IDPA and USPSA.
    True, but you'll be hard pressed to find many above a C or D shooting them in USPSA. Maybe they have a better place in IDPA due to the focus on carry gear and close-up shots. I can't speak for IDPA though, I don't own a 5.11 vest.

Gaming sights aren't focused on "grouping" shots in a one inch circle, we have a little more room to play with.
    Precisely, which is why I don't have an issue with differentiating them from pure target style sights.

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    The new carry piece I picked up has them and while I haven't shot it with them, I did shoot a kahr a few times with them.

To me, they're not natural. I did practice draws with the new pistol with XS sights on it after I got home and I kept looking for a notch to put that front sight in. They'll stay on it until I can get my new ones ordered, but until then the XS ones will stay on it. I could probably adjust to them, but I'd rather keep it consistent across the board.

Personal preference for me on the "Gaming" gun gets standard black on black Warren Tactical sights, the "fighting" guns get 2-Dot Warren Tactical Night Sights. Your mileage may vary though.

Last edited:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I put them on my G23. They are much faster to get on target from draw. A little to get used to, but I agree with Yeager on them now. Probably be adding them to my other Glock.

Top Bottom