XDm-40 3.8 Used Value (Gun Shop Trade-in)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Hey guys,

I have an XDm-40 3.8 in all black with Trijicon Night Sights and 250 flawless rounds through it. I'm thinking about picking up a 9mm for the higher capacity as well as I've found I'm remarkably better at shooting a 9mm. I'm not above and beyond holding onto the 40, but to be honest, I don't think I need an XDm-40 and an XDm-9.

I do realize that I'm obviously not going to get the same money out of the gun as I paid, and I'm fine with that. Ideally I'd like to sell it privately as that's where I'm most likely to get the most out of it, but I'm not above trading it in at the gun shop just for the simplicity and that's why I'm making this post.

Don't misconstrue this post as a classified (I will post one in the classifieds when and if I decide to do so).

The gun has 5 magazines, and the original case and all accessories (paddle holster, speed-loader, magazine holster, etc).

What kind of offer do you think I should expect to get from a gun shop, and what do you feel is reasonable? Obviously there is room for negotiation and I do understand the shop has to be able to make a profit by selling the gun for a higher value than they pay me, and less than they sell a new one for. I have 0 experience in doing trade-ins, and that is why I am asking here for some advice before I even move in that direction.

Hopefully I've worded this well enough that it makes sense, but let me know if you need any clarification.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    Gander mountain, I am told by people that have traded in pay top top dollar... Go to bradis see what they offer you then go to Gander Mountain. But your best bet is usually a private sale.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Gander mountain, I am told by people that have traded in pay top top dollar... Go to bradis see what they offer you then go to Gander Mountain. But your best bet is usually a private sale.
    Indeed, I would likely not do it as a stand-alone transaction but as money towards another gun.

Mostly just trying to find what is considered reasonable so I don't either demand too much or walk away with too little.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    I wont say which gun shop a friend went to trade in his gun, but they offered him 130 and told him that was the best that they could do. That gun shop did tell him that somewhere else might be willing to give more for it. Gander mountain was willing to give him 250.00 for it. So go figure... He declined both offers. Don't think that you have to just take what ever any gun shop offers you. my friend ended up selling the gun to a friend of his.. for 300.

I look at trading in a gun.. A lot like trading in a good car that is paid off with low miles to a dealer.. Bend over and grab the ankles kinda raw deal... just my two cents though

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Ahhh, ok... I may very well just hold onto it then. I'll see what kind of offers I can get, maybe a shop will give me more if I use it towards the purchase of another *new* gun.

thoroughbred

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    My houseboat on Lake Michigan
    130$!!!! That's it?! What was he trying to sell back? Do a little Google searching on sites that sell such as gunbroker or gunsamerica or whatever and you can come up with a fair price. What kind of night sights also effect price in my opinion.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    130$!!!! That's it?! What was he trying to sell back? Do a little Google searching on sites that sell such as gunbroker or gunsamerica or whatever and you can come up with a fair price. What kind of night sights also effect price in my opinion.

They're Trijicon. If its more specific than that, I can look at the package they came in :-). They were listed at $125 for the sights alone.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    xdm-40 with goodies. in the neighborhood of 425-475. the new XDS .45's gonna take off like hotcakes so sell it now as opposed to later.

Toolepqk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.3%
    52   2   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    It depends if the shop already has too many used guns. A private sale will yield you much more cash. I think a shop would give about $300. Bradis, beech grove and most other shops will give you 60% of their cost as new. Not what they sell it for but what they pay for a new gun. It's convenient but a rip off for yourself. From what I've heard and seen, Plainfield shooting supply will give you a reasonable offer on your firearm, possibly more if your trading for one in stock. Privately you could much more.

HCRMPD1

Marksman
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Shelbyville
    Forget the gun shop trade in.

Better off selling it out-right/private sale.

As a private sale: Low end, maybe $400.00. High end, maybe $490.00

I guess it really depends on what you need to get out of it so that you feel comfortable with the sale.

Jpfledderer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Westside
    I would look around online to see what news are, check on Armslist. With the sights, you should get a good price for it. I agree with the others, go private. :):

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    The couple of people who have contacted me, only want to do private party transfers. I'm not really comfortable with that because if it say, gets stolen from them and used for a crime, it could easily track back to me and I would have to prove I sold it and/or that I didn't commit the crime.

I'm wanting to do it via an FFL I trust and I'm willing to pay the fees, does this seem unreasonable? I just don't like the idea of doing it private with a bill of sale and then having the possibility that I lose that bill of sale (say simply losing it, fire, etc) which could cause me liability down the road.

Doing it via an FFL would not only give me some documentation, but the FFL would have documentation as well, no?

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    gander mountain offered me 250 for my xdm 40 4.5 i just laughed and walked out and sold it privately a week later for 450

Well, if they bought it from you at $450, what would they sell it at? $500? $550? :)

They have to make a buck too... When you sell it yourself you cut out the middle-man and his need to make a decent profit for the time involved.

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    XDm

Why not buy a 40/9 conv bbl for about $150 and a few used mags from many forums classified section. I have conv bbls for several Sigs and they work great. 9mm for range and ecoil/cheap. 40 for PP. Good luck

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Why not buy a 40/9 conv bbl for about $150 and a few used mags from many forums classified section. I have conv bbls for several Sigs and they work great. 9mm for range and ecoil/cheap. 40 for PP. Good luck

Great advice! I like and have both 9mm and .40S&W pistols, but I shoot much more 9 due to cost. If you have a .40 and there are conversion barrels available, you can have the best of both worlds.

I have traded a lot of guns at shops, and I have also found that there is a LARGE variation as to what shops are willing give for used guns. It seems to me that most will sell a used gun for about 80-90% of a new version, and they want to make about 20% profit off of your trade - so they will give you around 65% to 75% of the new price for a used trade. I have had some only offer less than 50% of new - and I walked. I had another shop (where I have friends!) who traded me EVEN - my used pistol - which I bought new from them - for the same model in another caliber. But you will find much better deals, in general, if you sell private.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I'd love to meet the guy that thought Gander Mountain gave him "top dollar" for his trade. I have some ocean front property in AZ I'm looking to sell. No gun shop is going to give you a "fair" (read:what you want) price. They will all come in at 200-225 and I'd be willing to bet on that. You could sell very easily on here for $400-$475, and would sell it much faster on the low end of that. Either way, you're coming out much better than you would at a shop.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I thought about it, but I'd rather just keep 9mm across the board with +P loads for PP. It's down to personal preference, imho.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom