• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Hey guys, I have shot an M&P9 and M&P 9 pro... they both had apex triggers so comparing a XD or XDM isnt really comparing them fairly. I am going to be getting another 9mm in one of the four listed above. If I do get the S&W, I will be putting the Apex in... anyone have any feedback on the XD,XDM? What about triggers for them?

Any help would be great

Thanks
    Bc

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm not sure if I've ever heard of either brand/make of these pistols having a bad trigger.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    I'm not sure if I've ever heard of either brand/make of these pistols having a bad trigger.

Sorry but, IMO the trigger in the M&P the way it comes is absolutely horrible.

I guess that could be because when I started shooting it was with a Kimber that had a trigger break at just under 3lbs.

The Apex in the M&P breaks at just under 4 which is great.... but that stock trigger... man, its just not for me... with the Apex its one of the best pistols I have shot though:)

I really like the XDM as well but, I haven shot one, and I am afraid the stock trigger will not be to my liking.... Ill look into the trigger mentioned above

I guess I am just spoiled or just very, very particular about my firearms

Thanks!

totenkopf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    I once owned ax XD Tactical in .40, and I have to admit that while I love my Sigs, I'd give anything for Sig to develop a trigger system that was on par with that of the XD. The trigger system is probably the biggest thing I miss about that pistol, but I didn't care for the single action only design of the pistol, so I opted to part with it in favor of a Sig 229. As far as choosing between the two, I think the XD's trigger system is significantly better than that of Smith and Wesson, as is the overall design of the handgun.

Edit: I should add that my experience with the M&P comes from shooting a friend's piece. I didn't care for the way the M&P fit compared to the XD I had back then, and I didn't much like the trigger system, however, I think that it is a decent polymer handgun.

Last edited:

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you

M&P's are notorious for having crappy triggers. The M&P Pro is a little better, but the Apex trigger is 500% better than the stock trigger.

I haven't had much experience with the XD.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I have only shot an XD once. It was a .40 and I liked it quite a bit. IMO, the trigger was much more to my liking than my SR9 I had at the time. I currently own an M&P and am waiting to have my APEX put on it. That said I have only taken it out once and found the trigger better than I was expecting. I am glad I chose the M&P over the XD.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    Having shot the XD and M&P the XD has a better trigger. The M&P is gritty and crappy but the XD isn't perfect.

I carry a Sig 228 in preference to either.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I carried an XD45 4" for 3 years. Put probably 3,000 rounds through it.

I switched to the M&P45 after having a 1911 for a while, and an atrocious hunk of crap Sig P250 45 full size. I really like the M&P better than the XD45. As far as the trigger goes, stock for stock I think its a toss up, but I do like the feel of the M&P better. I've yet to shoot either with an enhanced trigger package though.

shavedforbattle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I would say, if at all possible, try to find an XD to shoot before you let us make your mind up for you. I say this because in my experience, everyone likes a different trigger. For example, I HATE Glock triggers, but LOVE my stock M&P trigger. Now I know I'm going against the general consensus, but it's what feels best to me and my trigger finger.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    the XDM in .40 cal at least (my only xdm experience) has a very touchy trigger pull. almost an uncertainty on when the sear is going to pop. hope it helped.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Thanks for all the responses here. Last thing I will add what ever firearm i go with, I am going to change out the trigger... Since I do not know anyone who currently has an XDM with upgraded trigger I cant shoot or test it before I buy. I am going to just go ahead with the M&P (Ill prob but the XDM 5... with the cut slide down the line). It comes down to knowing what I am getting with the M&P (since I have shot multiples with the Apex).

Plus I have some other goodies to put on the gun as well!

Ill post some pics once I have the firearm complete!

Thanks for the advise guys... If anyone has shot with the XDM that I am talking about with the trigger upgraded, I would love to hear feedback for future reference:)

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Hey guys, I have shot an M&P9 and M&P 9 pro... they both had apex triggers so comparing a XD or XDM isnt really comparing them fairly. I am going to be getting another 9mm in one of the four listed above. If I do get the S&W, I will be putting the Apex in... anyone have any feedback on the XD,XDM? What about triggers for them?

Any help would be great

Thanks
    Bc

I have the MP Pro...and have no need for an Apex trigger. Mine feels great.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have fired the Xd/Xdm and the M&P. I see a lot of people saying the M&P triggers suck. I do not see it that way. I shoot them just as accurately as any other handgun. The Xd's are top heavy. The Xdm's make a good club if you run out of ammo. Personally, between the three. I would choose the M&P.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I've only had 1 XDM, it shot very nicely. I would compare the trigger to a Glock trigger IMO. I haven't shot my fiance's M&P too much but she likes the trigger. I too think the XDM feels a bit top heavy but man do they shoot nice! And they hold a lot of ammo for the grip size. :twocents:

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I once owned ax XD Tactical in .40, and I have to admit that while I love my Sigs, I'd give anything for Sig to develop a trigger system that was on par with that of the XD. The trigger system is probably the biggest thing I miss about that pistol, but I didn't care for the single action only design of the pistol, so I opted to part with it in favor of a Sig 229. As far as choosing between the two, I think the XD's trigger system is significantly better than that of Smith and Wesson, as is the overall design of the handgun.

Edit: I should add that my experience with the M&P comes from shooting a friend's piece. I didn't care for the way the M&P fit compared to the XD I had back then, and I didn't much like the trigger system, however, I think that it is a decent polymer handgun.

Sig did get one with the SRT (Short Reset Trigger) or send one you already have sent back to Sig to get one. Mine made a Wilson Combat guy go :wow::thumbsup:

Toolepqk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.3%
    52   2   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Thanks for all the responses here. Last thing I will add what ever firearm i go with, I am going to change out the trigger... Since I do not know anyone who currently has an XDM with upgraded trigger I cant shoot or test it before I buy. I am going to just go ahead with the M&P (Ill prob but the XDM 5... with the cut slide down the line). It comes down to knowing what I am getting with the M&P (since I have shot multiples with the Apex).

Plus I have some other goodies to put on the gun as well!

Ill post some pics once I have the firearm complete!

Thanks for the advise guys... If anyone has shot with the XDM that I am talking about with the trigger upgraded, I would love to hear feedback for future reference:)

I have an xdm 3.8 compact 9mm. It has a stock trigger but I think it feels great. If you are close I wouldn't have a problem meeting at pops if youd like to get a feel for it.

Eric05

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    New Palestine
    My M&P9 has one of the better triggers that I have used. I didnt think the XDm had any better of a trigger(no worse either). It was a little gritty at first(the M&P) but after 1300 rounds or so it feels pretty good than what it originally started at.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm surprised about how many people here aren't fans of the S&W triggers. I guess I never paid much attention to them. I've owned an xd 45, xd 9mm sub compact, and currently own an xd 45 with thumb safety cut down to compact size and all three of them have had pretty good triggers as far as I was concerned.

Top Bottom