• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Today I visited some WW2 bunkers and fortifications who were part of the Altantic Wall.
    Those fortifications are on a cliff surplombing the local town and harbor.

One of the bunkers is now cut in half as the front fell into the beach during the 90's.
    The rest of the bunker is still buried deep into the cliff with no access possible by the front of the building anymore.

8yf05w.jpg

Battery position on top of the cliff:

2uokzfl.jpg

Another large bunker who's partially undeground:

20afkll.jpg

The rear of that bunker:

m7vsp5.jpg

25gunp3.jpg

There are two doors with steps going down into the bunker.Each door is faced by a gun port equipped with a sliding steel door to close it.

Looking down the steps, the door of the bunker is on the right not visible from the outside.

30thvgj.jpg

Inside the bunker.Besides the light coming in by the doors it is pitch black in most of the rooms.It can be a bit scary if your light fails you once you're deep inside where you cant see the exit. :nailbite:

2zxtmy1.jpg

You can see one of the gun ports facing one of the doors and the steps.

2l0qc5.jpg

2ef6ek4.jpg

Another battery position overlooking the sea:

f1jvph.jpg

Date of construction carved into the concrete in one of the walls:

2u79c9l.jpg

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    What is the property ownership situation? Is it some kind of park/community owned or private but open to public? I'm surprised someone hasn't done something with that. If not to preserve it then to re-purpose it. I mean the thing is built like...well like a WW2 bunker!

Bed and breakfast for the paranoid traveler?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Way cool! I remember seeing concrete bunkers in Sicily when I was a kid. They littered the place on the beaches. Not as bad as Normandy, tho.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    What is the property ownership situation? Is it some kind of park/community owned or private but open to public? I'm surprised someone hasn't done something with that. If not to preserve it then to re-purpose it. I mean the thing is built like...well like a WW2 bunker!

Bed and breakfast for the paranoid traveler?

It's owned by the city and open the public.Actually it's not really open but it's not really closed either :): you go there at your own risks and you need to be a local to know where that is (no signs or anything and not visible from the road and not shown on any touristic maps).

We have hundreds of bunkers like that in Normandy (and many more in the rest of France).Those who are closer to the D-Day beaches are turned into museums and open to the public, those are safe to visit (no more Germans :D).
    But we cant turn them all into museums and we cant destroy them either so many of them are just left like that.Many are actually closed with brick walls for safety reasons.

Some are also privately own (some people built their house on top and use the bunker as a basement/wine cellar).Some are now bars and restaurants.

100_4695.JPG

Top Bottom