• ...and so much more!
  • BtG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 11, 2013
    west central
    Hey All,

I am curious about the value of a metal lathe that I acquired last year. It is a Sheldon ES 46 B. It came with a turret press, a collet quick change device, and a bunch of other things that I don't even know what to call. A bunch of collets and dies in various sizes and all of the original paperwork. It has a three phase motor. I have not ran it since I purchased it and I am considering selling it. Does anyone have any ideas?

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Hey All,

I am curious about the value of a metal lathe that I acquired last year. It is a Sheldon ES 46 B. It came with a turret press, a collet quick change device, and a bunch of other things that I don't even know what to call. A bunch of collets and dies in various sizes and all of the original paperwork. It has a three phase motor. I have not ran it since I purchased it and I am considering selling it. Does anyone have any ideas?

Got 3 phase service now?.......:dunno:......X'pensive service upgrade if ya don't......(electrical......)

After search'n some......dunno 1 from anuther 1......but seems they's a 'converter' ya might be able ta use with'em....
    http://lexington.craigslist.org/tls/4336698352.html

Last edited:

BtG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 11, 2013
    west central
    I have the lathe set up at a friends shop that has a 3 phase hook up. Say what you want about living by the railroad tracks but the 3 phase service is usually really easy to get if you live there.

BtG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 11, 2013
    west central
    I got a pretty good deal on it (i think). I picked up the lathe and a 2 year old Ingersoll Rand two stage air compressor for $530.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I would say thats a pretty good deal. If the bearings are still within good tolerence and there isnt excessive wear on the ways you should be able to make a profit.... esp considering all the tooling it would come with.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    No need for a static or rotary phase converter. IMHO the best way is to buy an appropriately sized VFD. Using a VFD does 2 things (one of which a phase-converter doesn't do). It coverts to 3-phase for you by rectifying the AC power to DC, and then inverts it to 3-phase power for your motor. It also gives you the ability to vary the frequency (hence the name Variable Frequency Drive) so you have infinite speed control at the touch of a knob. The cost is about the same as a phase converter but it gives you much greater versatility.

Also, regarding the lathe: The ES46B is a 11" Lathe most likely from the 40's/50's. E is the drive system (8 speed undermount drive) S is the size (11" swing) 46 is the bedlength (46" bed length which should give you 36" between centers) and B is the leg style (B is for cabinet model vs. cast-iron stand). Headstock spindle bore is 1-1/16.

Basically you have a standard, run of the mill Sheldon 11" lathe. I would say you got a really good deal on the pair at $530 but the lathe isn't a piece of gold. The actual value will be greatly dependent on condition and what "a bunch of other things that I don't even know what to call" actually is. I'd be interested in some pictures if you're looking to sell.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Just put a single phase reversible motor on it and move on.

And that's going to cost you just as much or more than a VFD or phase converter and get you no advantages. I learned that lesson the hard way. If the OP wants a reversible single-phase motor for his lathe I'll sell him mine, put my 3-phase back on, and buy a VFD so I can have variable speed...

Top Bottom