WTH is wrong with the slide on my M&P???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I had this happen to a 9c a year or so ago. It was carried in a Fobus, never exposed to rain, cleaned after use. It didn't seem to matter, after sitting a day or so the slide rust returned. No other parts had rust on them, just the slide. When I googled it I found out this is a fairly common problem (at the time). I posted about it on a couple of different forums and almost all the responses were along the lines of 'dude, you need to oil it and that won't happen' or 'you need to take better care of it'. There was one guy who said he was having the same problem. His solution was to wipe it down with an oily rag 3 times a day and not touch the slide. WTF?! Sorry, I can't own a gun that I can't touch and need to wipe down more than my own arse.

Nobody in the family liked the way it shot besides me. I bought it because I couldn't find a green Glock 19 at the 1500 and needed something smaller to carry at the time. I got it cleaned up the best I could, told the dealer about the problem and traded it along with a dozen mags for a NIB green G19 w/ night sights and 6 mags at the next show.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I disagree...for a couple reasons.

Im going to assume the S&W rep knew what he was talking about when he said if the gun wasnt clean 100% than the melonite would not bond correctly, thus exposing metal, sucepable to rust. Same concept in powder painting. If you dont get all the grease and grime from manufacturing off the part then the paint will not adhere properly and it will peel, pit, fisheye, and RUST.

Also, there is no user error here. I keep ALL of my pistols in absolutely prestine shape, including oiling. This was not present a couple of months ago, and further more it is only on the top of the slide right behind the front sight. If it was user error than the entire slide, gun, metal parts or whatever would show the same effects...

Go back and read my post... i wasnt refering to the spray on melonite coating... that in itself is just a fancy name for a high performace paint. i quote people talking about BAD BLUING, and my responce was about bluing, NOT melonite coatings or your maintenance of it.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I have owned 3 M&P pistols (fs, compact, and pro) and had zero rust issues with any of them. I know on the earlier released pistols there were some people having this problem though.

alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ok,

So I got the M&P back today...

Dont really know how I feel about it right now, I'll wait for some comments from you guys.

The paper says the slide was replaced, tested and working, which I can tell it was...but they reused my sights and internals from what I can tell. I was also hoping they would drop a mag or so in there, but they didnt...no biggie.

Anyway the issue I have is that the dam thing seems like a used slide. There are brass marks inside the slide. Now, I can only see one exit mark from the casing, but there seems to be more marks than a test shot marks. I can also see on the top of the slide where there were some numbers written on it at some point in time, but wiped off. Seems like it'll be hard to get rid of. Anyway, take a look at the pics and tell me what you think. BeforeI sent it off, I cleaned everything on the gun and when I got it back the barrel was filthy. They must use some dirty ammo.

Also, it took 9 business days from sent to recieved.

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0182.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The slide looks like it would after being shot. The finish looks good and that was why you sent it in right? Did you really expect them to send you a new slide and free mags? You sent in a used slide with a screwed up finish and they sent you a used slide with a good finish. If they were to have sent you a new slide, 2 mags and a box of ammo that would have been nice, but your next few purchases from them would have paid for it. JIMHO. :)

alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The slide looks like it would after being shot. The finish looks good and that was why you sent it in right? Did you really expect them to send you a new slide and free mags? You sent in a used slide with a screwed up finish and they sent you a used slide with a good finish. If they were to have sent you a new slide, 2 mags and a box of ammo that would have been nice, but your next few purchases from them would have paid for it. JIMHO. :)

Seriously....

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Seriously....

Like I said, that's my opinion. How does the slide look now after cleaning? Does it look good, does it function? Everybody wants something for nothing, or at least very little. Sorry if my opinion varies from the other posters. :twocents:

And, seriously, if they gave you a new slide and some free mags who do you think would have paid for that? That shizzle don't grow on trees, to pay for it they'd have to raise their prices, so everybody that buys their products in the future pays more.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    It doesn't take very many rounds for MY M&P9c slide to look just like that after, even after a hand-full of rounds. I'm always surprised at how "brassy" that center spine of the slide is.

-J-

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom