WTH is wrong with the slide on my M&P???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Also, OP: Don't send any magazines with it!

There's a CHANCE that it might come back with one. Or two. Depending on how the stars are aligned.

-J-

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

Just wait until Glock has a batch of bad [insert items here]...

Anything that's made by humans will have screw ups. Just is.

And while I normally don't "bash" anything... What's up with the 4th Gen full sized Glocks having all this trouble?

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

And while I normally don't "bash" anything... What's up with the 4th Gen full sized Glocks having all this trouble?

:rolleyes: lighten up Francis...

most of the folks here know I'm waiting for a 5in M&P Pro to show up in stores...

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    a damp basement caused one of my older blued revolvers to spot like that. a combination of poor finishing and too much humidity. i'd send it back.

I had that happen once to a muzzleloader I was shooting during a lite rain. I finished shooting and wiped the barrel dry and went home and cleaned it. Sure enough it had little rust spots everywhere. It was a cheap rifle and poorly blued.

where does this stuff come from? Bluing is bluing. and it will not just spontaniously rust. poor finishing in bluing is not getting the right polish, or all the pits out, NOT the actual application during the dip in the bluing salts. chances are it was more user error. Bluing isnt like paint where you can just wipe off the moisture and its good to go... its STILL pourous and the metal is STILL pourous, so it needs to be OILED to continue w/ its protection traits... parkerizing is the same way... ANY blued gun WILL rust if its not OILED.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    ANY Blued gun WilL rust if not OILED. Really? Hope you don't lose many customers over that blanket remark. I have a Beretta single shot 20 ga that I am the original and only owner for 38 years and use it for squirrel and rabbit hunting in the rain, sleet and snow and I have never oiled the blueing and to date not a speck of rust. I have owned a Mossberg 12 ga for the last 33 yrs and use it for duck hunting in the rain, sleet and snow and I have never put oil of any kind on the blueing and to date zero rust. I clean the guns after every hunt but I have never oiled the outside of the guns, so I believe the gun I mentioned that rusted after a lite rain had a bad blueing job, whether it was the blueing, polishing or whatever.

alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    where does this stuff come from? Bluing is bluing. and it will not just spontaniously rust. poor finishing in bluing is not getting the right polish, or all the pits out, NOT the actual application during the dip in the bluing salts. chances are it was more user error. Bluing isnt like paint where you can just wipe off the moisture and its good to go... its STILL pourous and the metal is STILL pourous, so it needs to be OILED to continue w/ its protection traits... parkerizing is the same way... ANY blued gun WILL rust if its not OILED.

I disagree...for a couple reasons.

Im going to assume the S&W rep knew what he was talking about when he said if the gun wasnt clean 100% than the melonite would not bond correctly, thus exposing metal, sucepable to rust. Same concept in powder painting. If you dont get all the grease and grime from manufacturing off the part then the paint will not adhere properly and it will peel, pit, fisheye, and RUST.

Also, there is no user error here. I keep ALL of my pistols in absolutely prestine shape, including oiling. This was not present a couple of months ago, and further more it is only on the top of the slide right behind the front sight. If it was user error than the entire slide, gun, metal parts or whatever would show the same effects...

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

What troubles are they having?

Nsw550

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Zionsville
    Just talked to S&W. They are sending me a shipping lable to send the WHOLE gun back to them. I told them what was wrong and he immedietly asked for my name and address so he could send me a shipping lable. It was a 3:37 call from dailed til hang up. That includes going thru the computer menus and talking to a real person. +1.

The rep said that the Melonite finish is applied during extreme heat, and if the slide wasnt 100% clean when it was applied then that is what is causing the rust issue.

Hopefully they will take care of the ol boy. Im really not feeling being without my M&P for a few days, but as long as it comes back with the issue resolved, than it is well worth it.

I'll keep everyone updated...

Sounds like they are standing up to their good customer service reputation. I'm waiting to see how they handle your issue. Be patient. Your gun will be in good hands.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I disagree...for a couple reasons.

Im going to assume the S&W rep knew what he was talking about when he said if the gun wasnt clean 100% than the melonite would not bond correctly, thus exposing metal, sucepable to rust. Same concept in powder painting. If you dont get all the grease and grime from manufacturing off the part then the paint will not adhere properly and it will peel, pit, fisheye, and RUST.

Also, there is no user error here. I keep ALL of my pistols in absolutely prestine shape, including oiling. This was not present a couple of months ago, and further more it is only on the top of the slide right behind the front sight. If it was user error than the entire slide, gun, metal parts or whatever would show the same effects...

Melonite is not bluing. I don't believe Indygunworks was replying to you.

Joe

Top Bottom