WTH is wrong with the slide on my M&P???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    WTH is wrong with the slide on my M&P??? UPDATED

I have had my M&P9 for a little over a year now... Perfect shooter, love the gun and working on purchasing another, but WTH is going on with my slide! It is spotting like rust or something! It has never been wet, ever and I hardly carry it any more unless I oc. I recently bought a 908s that I carry now for deep concealment... So INGO, please look at the pics and suggest what I should do and even more so what is the cause!?!

Will S&W replace for free?

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0054-1.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

Last edited:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    That's strange. Have you left it in your car overnight or in a damp area? It looks as if it's been exposed to moisture/humidity somewhere along the line. Call S&W up and see what they say. If nothing else take it to Indy Gun Works and have it refinished to your liking.

alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ill check out google...

Never in the car over night, mostly in my sock drawer, and never in a damp area. Maybe in some humidity in the house, but the finish is supposed to be resistant to that right?

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    You gotta return her...

I have an M&P .40c and she spends time outside, overnight in a car, in the heat, cold, etc. and the finish is perfect.

alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I just read it was a certain run where they removed one step of the process. I would call S&W pronto because it only gets worse.
    M&P rust issues supposedly resolved - XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source!

Interesting,

I did read this post and it seems as though this particular M&P was produced a couple years before mine...

Anyway, Ill call S&W tommorrow.

What I do KNOW is that the newer M&P's (mine was made in late 08) have a darker (thicker looking) finish.

Edit: The pic above seriously look slike user error. I clean and oil mine after every range trip and ONLY carry in a Blackhawk Serpa II holster...baffles me as to how this could possibly n=happen, as maticulous I am with my pistols...

I just compared the finish of this M&P a couple months ago with my buddys (becaude he has holster wear) and this condition was NOT presented in any form!

Timeline relevance...I have moved into a new apt since then that tends to seem "damp" if the temp is high with no air on, but again this gun is either in the safe or the sock drawer...wierd man. Pisses me off.

Last edited:

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    a damp basement caused one of my older blued revolvers to spot like that. a combination of poor finishing and too much humidity. i'd send it back.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I had that happen once to a muzzleloader I was shooting during a lite rain. I finished shooting and wiped the barrel dry and went home and cleaned it. Sure enough it had little rust spots everywhere. It was a cheap rifle and poorly blued. I had it refinished and it looked new again. I don't think the M&P should rust like that even if it was in a damp area. Send it back and don't tell the Glock lovers this story.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    OP, if yours was made in '08, even late in the year, you're probably still in with a batch of poorly finished firearms.

S&W will take care of you just fine. Might very well find yourself with a new slide and new controls/internals.

-J-

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I had that happen once to a muzzleloader I was shooting during a lite rain. I finished shooting and wiped the barrel dry and went home and cleaned it. Sure enough it had little rust spots everywhere. It was a cheap rifle and poorly blued. I had it refinished and it looked new again. I don't think the M&P should rust like that even if it was in a damp area. Send it back and don't tell the Glock lovers this story.
    I'm already hearing it from a buddy of mine thats recently became a kool-aid drinker...:D

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'm already hearing it from a buddy of mine thats recently became a kool-aid drinker...:D

Want to really get his goat? Tell him that the Melonite that S&W uses for their M&P is the same exact thing as the Tenifer that Glock uses. :D

Because it's true.

-J-

alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just talked to S&W. They are sending me a shipping lable to send the WHOLE gun back to them. I told them what was wrong and he immedietly asked for my name and address so he could send me a shipping lable. It was a 3:37 call from dailed til hang up. That includes going thru the computer menus and talking to a real person. +1.

The rep said that the Melonite finish is applied during extreme heat, and if the slide wasnt 100% clean when it was applied then that is what is causing the rust issue.

Hopefully they will take care of the ol boy. Im really not feeling being without my M&P for a few days, but as long as it comes back with the issue resolved, than it is well worth it.

I'll keep everyone updated...

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You gotta return her...

I have an M&P .40c and she spends time outside, overnight in a car, in the heat, cold, etc. and the finish is perfect.

+1. I have multiple M&Ps. Oldest is about 1.5 years. No trouble like this seen yet. My oldest spend most of its time on my side, next to bed or in car while at work. (Can't carry)
    I'd contact S&W. I suspect they will replace it, at least the slide.

Top Bottom