WTH: 30 Homicides in Indpls Already This Year ??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    :dunno:......Go's on EVERwhere,BUT.......'is the reason ....I don't go ta Indy......not even fer a gun sale. if they ain't will'n ta travel a lil' South fer the sale.....they can keep it......don't care how good'a deal it is......

swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    I'm guessing most of these are gang and/or drug related. Not many involve random strangers and/or the general public. If that was the case, there would be great reason for concern.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I'm guessing most of these are gang and/or drug related. Not many involve random strangers and/or the general public. If that was the case, there would be great reason for concern.

winner winner chicken dinner

Mayor Ballard and Chief Hite say something to that effect in this article
    Basically, you don't deal with this type of individual or lifestyle, you don't need to worry. I don't feel any less safe than before.

Indy mayor, police chief respond to 8 murders in 12 hours | Fox 59 News ? fox59.com

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Last year something like 80% of the murderers and 80% of the victims had criminal records. That could explain why so many pictures are mug shots.

Not being a criminal significantly decreases your chances of being murdered in Indianapolis. Combine that with situational awareness (which includes areas to be avoided) and you should be fine. Carrying a handgun is part of situational awareness.:ingo:

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I love the PR campaign to "explain" away homicides. "These were 'bad' people, behave and there's no way you could be involved in a violent, possibly murderous crime." Such :bs:. Apparently Indianapolis has been jealous of Chicago's status as murder capital of the country and decided to step it up some. Good for Indy. But I still won't be visiting.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Basically the human species has eliminated the effects of natural selection and winter-kill. I wonder if this isn't Mother Nature intervening by other means to thin the herd?

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    If you are assaulted in Indy and you pull your firearm and kill the attacker...you have just created a homicide. Not all homicides are a bad thing.

"Some people just need killin'..." - Sling Blade

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I love the PR campaign to "explain" away homicides. "These were 'bad' people, behave and there's no way you could be involved in a violent, possibly murderous crime." Such :bs:. Apparently Indianapolis has been jealous of Chicago's status as murder capital of the country and decided to step it up some. Good for Indy. But I still won't be visiting.

That's not what anyone said. What was said was the truth. Involve yourself in criminal gang activity and/or the narcotics trade and you significantly increase your risk of meeting a violent end.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    That's not what anyone said. What was said was the truth. Involve yourself in criminal gang activity and/or the narcotics trade and you significantly increase your risk of meeting a violent end.
    Exactly right. I don't see how truth is being called PR spin here. I have never been involved in drugs, gangs, or any other criminal activity. Therefore, the odds of a whacked out meth-head or dealer coming to my house to kill me is VERY low. Any time someone is murdered it's not a good situation, but I'd rather criminals get killed versus law abiding citizens.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark

Well, obviously. This simple fact doesn't really need said, save to try to hammer home the point and to minimize these deaths: they don't really count, they were 'bad' people.

As though decent people need to be implored not to be criminals, and as though it would have any effect on those who chose to do so!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Well, obviously. This simple fact doesn't really need said, save to try to hammer home the point and to minimize these deaths: they don't really count, they were 'bad' people.

As though decent people need to be implored not to be criminals, and as though it would have any effect on those who chose to do so!

So at first you call it BS, but now its obvious? You're still missing the point. The Chief isn't operating under the notion that his press release is going to make people second guess becoming criminals for fear of meeting a violent end. That's not who's he talking to. He's talking to Joe and Jane RegularGuy who's scared because they sees the homicide numbers going up. Without some explanation, the media and the general population start seeing the boogeyman of random violence everywhere when this violence isn't random at all. Hence the press release. That affects those people's quality of life because they are now more fearful than is really called for. Just like when the home invasions with sexual assault were going on and they were randomly targeted, the press release reflected that so that people in those areas could make an informed decision about how much danger they were in.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    My point is that violence is violence, random or not. The placation of Mr. & Mrs. John Q. Public is what is :bs:, not the obvious statement that being a criminal drastically increases one's chances of being involved in violence. Saying, 'oh, well this is targeted violence' does nothing to reduce the actual crime rate, it only specifies who the targets were for that particular crime, which says nothing about future crimes or anything at all in fact regarding Indianapolis' safety - or lack thereof. It's a bit disingenuous to say 'Well, these don't count, this was targeted, these were bad people and if you're not a criminal this sort of thing is less likely to happen to you' when such violence in future may not be at all so targeted. It's a feel-good placation measure, not a state-of-the-city address or a true assessment of violent crime in Indianapolis. It's public-relations placation through minimization of these deaths.

swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    My point is that violence is violence, random or not. The placation of Mr. & Mrs. John Q. Public is what is :bs:, not the obvious statement that being a criminal drastically increases one's chances of being involved in violence. Saying, 'oh, well this is targeted violence' does nothing to reduce the actual crime rate, it only specifies who the targets were for that particular crime, which says nothing about future crimes or anything at all in fact regarding Indianapolis' safety - or lack thereof. It's a bit disingenuous to say 'Well, these don't count, this was targeted, these were bad people and if you're not a criminal this sort of thing is less likely to happen to you' when such violence in future may not be at all so targeted. It's a feel-good placation measure, not a state-of-the-city address or a true assessment of violent crime in Indianapolis. It's public-relations placation through minimization of these deaths.
    As an Indianapolis resident, I do not feel less safe after this rash of homocides, for all the reasons we stated above about the non-randomness. That is obvious.
    I do feel bad there is a segment of our community that feels the need to lead the life they lead. That is not healthy for the longevity of our city. Things need to change.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    As an Indianapolis resident, I do not feel less safe after this rash of homocides, for all the reasons we stated above about the non-randomness. That is obvious.
    I do feel bad there is a segment of our community that feels the need to lead the life they lead. That is not healthy for the longevity of our city. Things need to change.
    this^^

I've been in Indy for 15 years, I have noticed the changes. I don't, however, feel less safe because of what is happening in the streets. I didn't need the chief to spell it out for me either, but some folks do. He was not minimizing these deaths, he is trying to make the rest of the populous in Indy to feel safer.

Top Bottom