• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    so here is back story i am a Purdue alum.. there has been a string of articles in the paper about carrying on campus. i wrote this in response to one's that main arguments were

people who carry are vigilantes
    only police are qualified/ capable of carrying guns
    we would only serve to shoot other people accidentally
    calls campus shooting a theoretical attack

also i address another responce at the end where they said it was a class c felony to carry on campus= false ( need the IN codes for this )

now here is what i wrote please edit and help me find the 2 IN codes i need and the fbi stat the says people who carry are safe. and yes i know its a rough draft i would like to send it in tomorrow

Dear xxxx
    While I fully respect you decision to be a victim. You and those who think like you should not be allowed to force it on the rest of the population. In your letter you call any one who carries a gun for self defense a vigilant and would mostly likely just to more harm than good. I challenge you to present a case of this happening. I can give you a case this very week where an armed citizen stopped crime and saved lives in Indiana. Man Rescues Two Women from Captor,. statistically people who have a license to carry a gun are the safest and most law-abiding people in the country ( need sight). I would also like to point out that while police officers are trained to use weapons that does not make them good shots or better than any other gun owners I know several officer that know next to nothing about guns and don’t like them . It is a great responsibility to carry a gun obviously you do not consider yourself to capable I applaud for you of knowing this about your self. Now don’t force it on the rest of us. And btw it is not a theoretical attack it can and does happen do I really need to list all of the school shootings??
    Ps it is not a felony to carry on campus you may face punishment from purdue ( fired expulsion). An you can be charged with trespassing if you do not leave if asked but that is all ( a School is defined in indian code ( it is K-12) need in codes for both)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Sounds good. Here's the IC for schools:

IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

IC 35-41-1-24.3
    "School bus" defined
    Sec. 24.3. "School bus" means any motor vehicle designed and constructed for the accommodation of more than ten (10) passengers, which is used for the transportation of Indiana school children.
    As added by P.L.296-1987, SEC.3.

IC 35-41-1-24.7
    "School property" defined
    Sec. 24.7. "School property" means the following:
    (1) A building or other structure owned or rented by:
    (A) a school corporation;
    (B) an entity that is required to be licensed under IC 12-17.2 or IC 31-27;
    (C) a private school that is not supported and maintained by funds realized from the imposition of a tax on property, income, or sales; or
    (D) a federal, state, local, or nonprofit program or service operated to serve, assist, or otherwise benefit children who are at least three (3) years of age and not yet enrolled in kindergarten, including the following:
    (i) A Head Start program under 42 U.S.C. 9831 et seq.
    (ii) A special education preschool program.
    (iii) A developmental child care program for preschool children.
    (2) The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure described in subdivision (1).
    As added by P.L.296-1987, SEC.4. Amended by P.L.34-1991, SEC.27; P.L.9-1991, SEC.95; P.L.2-1992, SEC.880; P.L.81-1992, SEC.38; P.L.1-1993, SEC.240; P.L.160-1994, SEC.1; P.L.1-2005, SEC.227; P.L.145-2006, SEC.370.

Also, I know it's a rough draft (and please don't take this personally), but PLEASE run it through a grammar checker and spell checker, and/or have someone else edit it for you.

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    thanks for the code and yea Im a terrible writer ( engineering major) ill have my friend and English major fix that part tonight

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    any body have any references for the trespassing part ??

"Weapons The University will strictly enforce rules against possessing or storing firearms or other weapons in the workplace. Office of the Vice President and Treasurer Memorandum No. A-16 sets forth the University's policy on weapons in University facilities."

I'm currently searching for A-16 EVPT Memo A-16

"The possession, use or distribution of any explosives, guns or other deadly or dangerous materials or weapons reasonably calculated to cause bodily injury is prohibited in University Facilities, unless specifically authorized by the University or required by or used in the course of a University activity and under the supervision of a University representative."

Here is the student conduct section, explaining the discipline procedures for students who break Purdue policy.

Part 5: Section III — Regulations Governing Student Conduct, Disciplinary Proceedings, and Appeals

I'm not finding anything relating to trespassing of the public who breaking University policy, but I suppose Purdue can trespass anyone they want.

Last edited:

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    I would tell them to stop pestering you (as an Alum) for money, if they haven't, they will, until they change their stance on CC (Campus Carry).

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I agree with them not being the best shot's in the world... most only shoot at the range when they have to.

I know an Indiana Air Guard MECHANIC that out qualifies that state trooper's that show up to qualify and they have all this special shooting gear.... he pick's up the weapon and start's shooting. He only does this every 5 year's or whatever.

A good point to add in the original post is to research how many police action shooting result in the other person being hit and how many round's hit that person. See if you can find out on average how many cop's go to the range and compare that to how often people go that carry........ those would be very good argument's.

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    Weapons The University will strictly enforce rules against possessing or storing firearms or other weapons in the workplace. Office of the Vice President and Treasurer Memorandum No. A-16 sets forth the University's policy on weapons in University facilities.

I'm currently searching for A-16

yea my point is that it is only university policy not law that you cant carry there for ...if not a student or employee all they can do is ask you to leave... i might drop this part cuz it addresses the another letter.

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    good point thanks...but i don't think asking why the are apposed to self defence is strong enough though ?? how would you phrase it ??

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    u realize that you can NOT win against a ANTI-2A liberal right?
    Using reason & logic on them will not work. They are not resonable people

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    yea i know but i wanted to at least do a good job because half the time the pro gun ones are just poorly written. i know my first draft wasnt the best but i want it to be good by the time i send it in. you never know it might sway some one on the fence about it

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    u realize that you can NOT win against a ANTI-2A liberal right?
    Using reason & logic on them will not work. They are not resonable people

This is true.

In a conversation(not opinion article war), I would ask if they are against SD...if they said yes then there is no hope for them as they would freely submit to rapists/murders...there is no reason to continue a discussion(on any topic) with such a person. If they are not opposed, then find out how the person would combat against a person bigger than them, if they are armed, etc. They won't have an answer or else will come up with some BS that they could run away(from a speeding bullet), or would get in a lucky punch to subdue the person(as if they are some awesome fighter)...either way they are in complete denial about how to survive such an attack...the onion can be slowly peeled away to reveal this with some VERY basic questions that they have probably never given a minute of thought in their life.

You might also pull on the heart strings(and the spouse of the person can become an ally if they see your point) and ask if them how they could possibly protect their spouse/children (the ones they love dearest) if the boogie man comes knocking one day. Ask what they would do if someone broke into their house carrying a metal pipe/knife/gun this very instant. How would they prevent this person from doing anything they dam well pleased to their spouse/children.

Ask what is their plan to prevent you or your loved ones from having to go through the horrors of:
    -Assault
    -Rape
    -Robbery
    -Murder
    -Burglery
    -Kidnapping
    Or are you just one to hope this won't happen to you.

If hope works against these evils then I assume you don't have health/life/home/auto insurance, you don't lug around a spare tire in your car, you don't lock your doors at night, you don't have a fire extinguisher in your car. Most of these things previously mentioned can be used to FIX something bad that has gone wrong. What do you have in your toolkit to fix Rape, Murder, or Kidnapping? These are things that are best to be prevented in the first place, wouldn't you agree.

Some times you can get somewhere instantly. Many times this is a slow realization process. People naturally watch all of the evils in the nightly news and think that stuff always happens to someone else and will never happen to them...it's sad. It's a cycle that's hard to break and for people to begin to wrap their little brains around. Typically it is a process that takes some time for a person to come around. You won't convert someone instantly through a few letters on the internet or in a newspaper.

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    here is my final version had to cut it down for length

Dear Nick and Mike,
    While I fully respect you decision to be a victim, you and those who think like you should not be allowed to force it on the rest of the population. In your letter you call any one who carries a gun for self defense a vigilant and someone who would do more harm than good. I can give you a case THIS VERY WEEK where an armed citizen stopped crime and saved lives in Indiana (Man Rescues Two Women from Captor). Statistically, people who have a license to carry a gun are the safest and most law-abiding people in the country. Florida has issued more carry permits than any state (1.5 million). Only 166 (0.01 percent) have been revoked due to gun crimes by permit-holders. I would also like to point out that while police officers are trained to use weapons, it does not make them more proficient than other gun owners. It is a great responsibility to carry a gun, and just because you think that you wouldn’t be able to control YOURSELF if you had a gun, which is evident by what you think would happen, doesn’t mean I, or any other person, couldn’t. Also, this is NOT a theoretical attack-evident from recent events in Alabama and Virginia Tech. In Indiana, roughly 10% of the population has a permit to carry. That means one of every ten people could have a self defense weapon. When was the last time you got shot at while in Walmart? What makes the classroom different than anywhere else? Why should I have to check my CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS at the door to make you ‘feel’ safer, when in reality my right to carry MAKES you safer?

Top Bottom